Have you made or tried a natural mosquito repellent? If so, let other readers who whether it was effective for you. Do you have any favorite natural mosquito repellent recipes?
- Lemon juice worked really well for me, and I'm a mosquito magnet. I had shorts on and put lemon juice (just normal lemon juice you can buy from the store) on my legs (it wasn't sticky) and the mosquitoes stopped biting my legs. Unfortunately, I didn't have a sprayer and they moved on to biting me through my shirt; but not my legs though!
- —Guest Charlie
Wow Vicks Really??
- So simple an I think it works!! Just tried it this morning and no bites (yet! Knock on wood!) I was mixing up all these spices from the kitchen then came across that post and thank goodness I did! I just moved back to Orlando and the Mosquitos here are only getting worse!! I haven't been going outside. I think and hope u solved my problem!!!! Thank u!!!
- —Guest Flsnowbunnyy
Mr Clean please stop!
- I would like to ask Guest Mr Clean to re-consider applying dryer softener sheets to his and his children's skin. Chemicals in the sheets might absorbed through the skin and into the bloodstream, possibly affecting the brain or other vital organs. With all due respect, it just doesn't seem safe.
Give Don't Bug Me! a try
- I've been using the roll-on for several years now. It's made by Niecey's Naturals. Url is nieceysnaturals.com
- —Guest Sarah T.
- I set out a container with water near patio. When larva appear I add a drop of two of Dawn. I have also caught adult mosquitoes. This seem to reduce the overall population in the area. I keep a ceiling fan on high when on the patio and the mosquitoes stay away. I suspect the fan dissipates the CO2 from my breath that attracts them.
- —Guest Donald
Natural Mosquito repelant!!
- Rub a light layer of vicks rub on the bare skin! Not only will you be able to breathe well... little pesky boogers stay away!!! :)
- —Guest VICKS
GOTTA TRY IT CHEAP AND EFFECTIVE
- I've been using regular bounty dryer sheets for about a year now on my self as well as my 6 yr old, 4 yr old and 1 yr old, and it works AMAZINGLY!!! Just rub it on and thats it! I even tape them to the inside of my tent while camping and I've killed one maybee 2 sqeeters.
- —Guest Mr. Clean
Vinegar of the Four Theives
- This stuff kept away the Bubonic Plague! Seriously strong but natural and cheaper than oils. Smells foul when wet but OK when dry: Vinegar of the Four Thieves Insect Repellent Ingredients:
■1 32 ounce bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar
■2 TBSP each of dried Sage, Rosemary, Lavender, Thyme and Mint
■At least quart size glass jar with airtight lid
How to Make the Vinegar of the Four Thieves Insect Repellent:
1.Put the vinegar and dried herbs into large glass jar.
2.Seal tightly and store on counter or place you will see it daily. Shake well each day for 2-3 weeks.
3.After 2-3 weeks, strain the herbs out and store in spray bottles or tincture bottles, preferably in fridge.
4.To use on skin, dilute to half with water in a spray bottle and use as needed.
5.Use whenever you need serious bug control!
[Note: This mixture is very strong and has antiviral and antibacterial properties.]
- —Guest Normski
- I take cinnamon pills. I have not been bitten in over 2 years.
- —Guest twice shy
Mosquitos repellenting fumes
- Mixture of dried leaves and fruit coats of tree Pongamia Pinneta impregnetd with 2 % Neem oil and 2 % Pongamia Pinneta oil when burned like insecce sticks to give fumes repells moaquitos from the room. Pongamia Pinneta is called KARANJ in Hindi.
- —Guest Sushil Kumar Sharma
Listerine as Mozzie repellant
- I am the local eatery for Mosquitos...and have tried every comercial product that can be possibly bought, even tried some wives tail theories...alas none have worked.
Im about to embark obn a 2 month trip to South Asia....yes...why would I want to inflict the bites for 2 months?
Does this Listerine work...seems many have had positive results.
Are we takling Listerin as in the mouth wash....if so...what flavour do mosquitos not like...many thanks reader.
- —Guest Jason
Natural Room Spray
- Gday! A while ago my Mum found a great add in the paper with how to make this, we went and bought all the essential oils and carrier oil which cost a fortune at the time we figured, we were getting our money's worth if it worked, which it did !It was great! Now I want to make it up, Mum cant find the list of ingredients! sigh, all I can remember, is it had metholated spirits and water with it, vinegar and about 8 or more 100% pure oils, you would literally see the flies come in and back off where she had sprayed in the kitchen, can anyone help here? I possibley have some of the ingredients wrong and it was in a spray bottle. I do know of a mix to deter toads though, it's affectionately known by my friend's who invented it as "8 hops" cos thats about as far as they get after being sprayed by it, I spray around my doorways and sliding doors, to prevent them coming into the house. It's half and half of Metholated Spirits and Dettol, don't use cheap brands they stink.
- —Guest Tonianne
- citronella is the best! try it now please_..............................................
- —Guest adrian
- I have try inside my apartament, the little patio and entrance putting a glass gar with water and smash garlic, it seams that have worked on me. You can try that
- —Guest Margie SantaMaria
- i usually get tons of mosquito bites when i go camping but the last couple of times i went i used lavender oil as a mosquito repellent and it worked amazingly! i didn't get a single bite!
- —Guest crystal