Pi Day is March 14 or 03/14, which corresponds to the number pi. Pi is an important mathematical constant, so it is honored in order to raise interest and awareness of math and science. How do you celebrate Pi Day? Here's your chance to share your plans or get ideas from other readers. Share Your Ideas
- 1.wear a pi t-shirt 2. Eat pie and pizza 3. Do 1 and 2 while watching "Life of Pi" 4. Have a memorization contest 5. Have fun. Did I mention to eat pie!
- —Guest I
This is how I shall celibrate pi day
- This is the day for me to remember the Bhāskara-I (600-680 CE) an Indian Poet, astronomer & Mathematician who was First to write numbers in the Hindu-Arabic decimal system with a circle for zero, and gave a unique and remarkably rational approximation of the sine function in his commentary on Aryabhata's work Āryabhaṭīya bhāṣya, in 629 CE. He also wrote Mahā bhāskarīya and the Laghu bhāskarīya. He wrote a shloke [4line verse] which gives the valu of pi to 4 decimal places. The shlok implies that the ratio of the circumference to the diameter is ((4 + 100) × 8 + 62000)/20000 = 62832/20000 = 3.1416.He later calculated the value to 799 decimal places
- —Guest Gunwant Joshi
- In my school we had a memorization, t-shirt, and hat contest with different categories and it was pretty fun
- —Guest Math lover
- Have a contest to see who can recite the most digits of pi and award a pizza or pie to the winner.
- —Guest Dr. Bob
- Make pi bracelets or necklaces by stringing colored beads on a string. Each color represents a different digit.
- —Guest Pi Guy
- Make a construction paper chain to show the digits of pie. Make each numeral a different color and see how long you can get the chain by the end of the day!
- —Guest Xan
- As of this year, you can watch the movie or read the book (or both) called "The Life of Pi!". It won 4 Academy Awards for the technical and musical sides last night! BTW, "pizza" just means pie!
- —Guest kannik
- Dance, while doing 3.14159 pirouettes each time you spin.
- —Guest Joey
- 1. Simple, do more Pi (3.14) equations.
2. EAt Pizza all day and do math
3. Find the most digits of pi
- —Guest 1254love
- At my highschool we always get pizza on pieday and see who has memorized the most digits of pi
- —Guest Alizah
My School's celebration
- My high celebrated Pi day this year by all the math teacher's giving out Moon Pies and wearing I
- —Guest SnowyAshCat
Read More Mom
- My kids' high school celebrates Pi Day the Friday before spring break every year. The math students run it in the math wing with cupcakes, pies, a pi-day hat contest, T-shirt contest, etc. It is a much anticipated school event. There is a prize for the student who has memorized the most digits of pi.
- —Guest ReadMoreMommy
My 'thing' is simple...
- I celebrate pi by being irrational all day! :) I also like pizza
- —Guest Pi Lover
- You can watch the movie Pi (the title is the symbol). It's kind of dark, about a mathematician who goes insane, so this is not one for the kiddies. It's a cool movie though.
Pi Day Celebrations
- You can always do a Pi Day run of 3.14 miles or 3.14 kilometers. Wear a t-shirt with a pi on it. Decorate cupcakes with the Greek letter. Make a pie and calculate its circumference and area.