From the article: Common Chemicals and Where to Find Them
If you're not a chemist, you may have trouble finding some chemicals for chemistry experiments and projects. There are a lot of chemicals that are commonly available, but usually they aren't labelled with a chemical name so you might not recognize them. Have you found a good source of chemicals or do you know of pure compounds that are sold as common household chemicals? If so, share your information with others. Share Your Finds
- There are a variety of small-scale suppliers of various chemicals on eBay.
- —Guest Frank
- Strontium Barium and Cobalt Carbonate can be found at pottery suppliers.
- —Guest Anonymous
- Sodium bisulfate (NaHSO4) and sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) can both be found at Walmart as pH changing chemicals in the pool and garden section at Walmart.
- —Guest Magic_mav
- can be made by mixing Ammonia And Bleach, which can be found at Wal-mart
- —Guest anonymous
- Inside Thermometers - a meter that helps you read the temperature in Degrees Celsius and usually, Degrees Fahrenheit.
- —Guest Anomynous
- You can get a basic alpha source of radiation from your smoke detector.
- —Guest Jon Ashley
- Spectracide stump remover granules, which go for about 6 USD for 1 lb (453 grams), are almost 100% pure potassium nitrate.
- —Guest LanthanumK
- Sold at most agriculture and livestock stores. Do not know about preservatives or additives to the product.
- —Guest science
Where to find chemicals
- HMS Beagle (www.hms-beagle.com, 180 English Landing Drive, Suites 110 & 120, Parkville, MO 64152) offers over 600 chemicals for home experimenters. Most are ACS reagent grade.
- —Guest Fishman Jack
Do not boil battery acid
- Boiling 40% sulphuric acid from a car battery is a very good way to strip every surface the steam touches, including your lungs.
- —Guest Guest91956
Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda, lye)
- Found as drain openers (although often with contamination in the form of aluminium granules and sodium salts). Some paint supply shops sell them in the form of pellets as paint stripper (this is usually pure sodium hydroxide).
- —Guest krys
Copper sulfate & Sulfuric acid
- Copper sulfate can be found as root kill, usually 99% purity, also Rooto makes sulfuric acid drain cleaner that is almost lab grade with no inhibitors.
- —Guest praseodymium
an excellent source for quality chemical
- The web site United Nuclear Scientific Supply sells many ACS reagent grade chemicals in small quantities. The amounts are small enough to be classified as ORM-D, so there are no hazmat charges for shipping. I have ordered there several times and am very satisfied with their service.
- —Guest mhanes
A Few More Commonly Available Chemicals
- Tungsten can be obtained from welding suppliers. 2-propanol is rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol). Oxalic acid can be separated from the cleaning product Bar Keepers Friend (10% according to the MSDS). Many soluble ferrous salts can be obtained by dropping a steel nail in a solution of copper (II) [insert anion here]. They will be oxidized to ferric [insert anion here] if left exposed to the air. If you're looking for hydrofluoric acid, I've heard that it's used in the tire industry. Keep in mind that it dissolves glass.
- inside thermotres........................................................................................................................
- —Guest Gunnish1
1-15 of 30Next