From the article: Chemistry Poems and Songs
Do you know a chemistry song or poem? It could be a song or poem about elements or the periodic table or simply related to chemistry. Here's your chance to share your song or poem or to read chemistry songs and poems submitted by others. Share Your Song or Poem
- Chlorine, the thing thats light green. You put in your pool and it makes you feel cool. If you're a blonde be be careful not to swim too long or you're hair will turn all wrong.
- —Guest Janna Johnson
- Little Johnny took a drink, but he will drink no more, For what he thought was H2O was H2SO4
- —Guest LOLOLOL
- Mercaptans With apologies to Walt Whitman O Captain, Mercaptan! Your essence overwhelms. No other odors are so strong in olfactory realms; They numb our nasal acumen because they’re so compelling, And overpower the pleasant scents we’re capable of smelling. O gross, gross, gross, O nauseating stuff! Where R-SH’es are involved A little’s quite enough. O Captain, Mercaptan, the smell of death is yours. Your thioalcoholic breath is one that long endures. The skunk that sprays a mile away confirms the diagnosis A single whiff removes all doubt of morbid halitosis O Captain, Mercaptan, Your fetid odors reek They’re like a toxic nightmare Where sulfuric gases leak. O Captain, Mercaptan, rise up and waft the smell Of coffee brewing in the pot that people love so well; Or enhance the sweet aroma of a perfumer’s creation, And let such lovely fragrances redeem your reputation. But mercaptans do not answer When such odes as this are read; They are simply sulfur compounds And they’re very very
- —Guest Bud Morris
science is changeable
- Science is Changeable Classification destroys continuity Proceeding by making category mistakes Mistaking similarities for commonalities Fixating on description as true relationship No organism lives all alone All living things are really colonies More than 250 bacteria live on and in each of us So do fungi, algae, and protozoa Without them we become very ill No system, not even our universe, is closed We know only four per cent of even that And atoms may have more than two nuclei With long chain molecules of metals as compounds Having no attached nonmetals balancing charge Genes are not passed half from each parent Less than eighty percent is from sperm or egg And some of the remaining triplets are moved Which govern which attributes can be transformed Progeny thus bear little resemblance to immediate ascendant Sol may have only eight planets and two planetoids But there more than a thousand extra-solar planets Some of them resembling Earth except perhaps in size Thought to b
elemental Islands of Stability
- Elemental Island of Stability Like electron shells with magic numbers of electrons Whether it’s two, two plus six, or thirty-two or beyond Nuclei have stable configurations of protons and neutrons Including some isotopes of Transuranium elements Stable for more than seconds up to minutes and days Dubmium288 (23 hours),Mendelevium258 (52days), Fermium256 (101days) There’re likely no elements beyond Z one hundred thirty-seven Which is just beyond the island of stability at Z one hundred twenty-six Which some suggest will last up to millions of years But at least much longer than milliseconds
- Matter (Chemistry) Discoverers persist to their study Considering the arising technology Then there sprung the chemistry “The science of matter” they say Anywhere I may wander Astounding creations are there Had bounty that will never shatter And shed satisfactions forever Matter as what it was denominated Has particles and can be measured It’s either be a gas, a solid or a liquid Have density and a space it occupied An atom as matter’s composite It is present in every element It is comprised in everything on earth In our life, it became prominent BY: LENIE S. PAMA AB-ENGLISH LANGUAGE
- —Guest LENIE S. PAMA
Radiation Decay Poem
- Radiation Decay By Elias Atienza As Alpha decay prowls around In the dead of night waiting for a victim It penetrates centimeters in the air, But it fails to do it’s duty For you, at least you should be, are wearing clothes, Allowing you to weather the small and ultimately, dismal storm. As Beta decay prowls around In the dead of night, waiting for you to walk on by It penetrates several meters of air But if fails to do it’s duty For you for some reason decided to wear a suit of aluminium to your friend’s Costume Party Gamma decay growls and roars In broad daylight, wishing to scare, As the rain starts to pour It penetrates several kilometers in the air But if fails to do it’s duty For you fell in a fallout shelter and closed the door behind you While munching on some Pirate booty And it disappears into the night Because you gave it such a fright.
- —Guest Elias Atienza
Chmistry is soo much fun
- Chemistry is fun, just watch it how its done. Mix and bake to make a cake, but chemistry is not fake. Stirring, grinding want some more, but be careful dont drop it on the floor. Containers and chemicals everywhere, I dont wanna go anywhere. The chemistry room is such a blast, I finished my experiment at last.
- —Guest Jessie
- It's a gas that's yellowish-green A non-metal, reactive and mean It's one half of salt it can make your life halt its compounds keep our water clean
- —Guest jellybeans
It's ionic that we bond
- It’s ionic that we bond. A metal and a nonmetal met in a bar one day The metal said I’ve had my ion you and I’m wondering if you’ll stay The non-metal said I must have 8 VE’s And you’ve got what I need If you will lend me an electron I’ll be your friend indeed. The metal became so positive And we know opposites attract They formed an ionic compound because both liked to react. The new couple was so different And their bond so sure and stable You would barely recognize them On the periodic table. By Tammy N
- —Guest Tammy
freshman chem lab
- first they argue/ then argue some more/ their eyes strain looking at test tubes/ finally, they fine the miniscus in each. miniscus/measurements taken carefully
- —Guest Catbird 55
- ode to chemistry as a subject: chemistry is a mystery
- —Guest kailashrangaraj
Ode to the Electron
- Oh electron in the sky, lightning zaps you and makes trees fry!