Chemistry is full of facts that seem too strange to be true. Here is a collection of weird chemistry facts.
- Liquid oxygen is blue.
- Some radioactive elements really do glow.
- You can die from drinking too much water.
- If you mix half a liter of alcohol with half a liter of water, the volume of the mixture will be less than one liter.
- Liquid water is more dense than solid water (ice).
- You can melt a sample of the element gallium just by holding it in your hand.
- Under certain conditions, hot water will freeze more quickly than cold water.
- You can't solidify helium at normal pressures, even at absolute zero. (You can solidify it at extremely high pressure and low temperature.)