You can design a science fair project that studies pollution or addresses green chemistry
. Topics include air pollution, water pollution, soil pollution, and green chemistry, which seeks to minimize the pollution generated by chemical processes.
- What type of car antifreeze is safest to the environment?
- Does the presence of detergent in water affect plant growth?
- How effective are natural mosquito repellents? Are they safer for the environment?
- What is the effect of a certain chemical in water on algae growth?
- How is biodiversity affected by the level of pollution?
- How closely does the pH of soil relate to the pH of the water around the soil? Which types of soils resist pH changes from pollution the best?
- What are some natural herbicides, pesticides, or algicides? How effective are they? How safe are they for the environment?
- How effective are house plants at reducing the concentration of organic air pollutants? Is the level of air pollutants lower in areas with a large number of trees compared with relatively nearby areas that have few plants?
- What might you do to detoxify run-off?
- Do the chemical preservatives used in packaging break down or do they remain in soil after the packaging has been composted?