Science fair projects don't have to be hard or complicated. Here is a collection of ideas of easy science fair projects you can do. What is the trick to an easy science fair project? Pick a project idea that uses materials that are easy for you to find and choose a project that won't take a long time to do.
- Does age make a difference in lung capacity? Does gender? Does smoking versus non-smoking? Have different people blow up a balloon as much as they can, measure the balloon to calculate the volume of air, and analyze the data.
- Which carbonated soft drink stays fizzy the longest? Set your sodas on the counter and see how long they produce bubbles.
- Which uses more water, a bath or a shower? Stop the drain. Take a bath. Take a shower. You can mark the tub if you want a simple more/less comparison or you can break out the measuring cup if you want to know exactly how much water you used.
- Which liquids prevent seed germinations? Try sprouting seeds (uncooked beans from the grocery store will work) in various liquids, such as tap water, milk, cola, juice, oil.
- Which sense is better at helping you identify food, taste or smell? Cube produce with a similar texture (or mash it), blindfold your test subject, and ask him or her to identify a food based on how it smells. Switch up the order of the foods and have your subject guess what each is according to how it tastes. You can try this with different types of meat, too.
- Does listening to music while taking a test affect performance? Does the type of music make a difference? You can set this up by having your subject take tests of comparable difficulty with and without music or with different types of music playing.
- Can you forecast the weather yourself? Don't listen to the weather report (but do recruit someone else to record the forecasts). Use simple instruments such as a thermometer and barometer and looking at the sky to predict the weather. Compare your predictions with those made by the weather service.
- Which color of a material heats the quickest? Cools the quickest? Get different colors of the same type of material (leather, rocks, etc.) and a thermometer. Which heats more quickly on a sunny day? Which cools more quickly? Or are they the same?