Introduction to 10th Grade Science Fair Projects
10th grade science fair projects can be fairly advanced. 10th graders can still seek help from parents and teachers, but by 10th grade most students can identify a project idea on their own and can conduct the project and report on it without much assistance. 10th grade students can use the scientific method
to make predictions about the world around them and to construct experiments to test their predictions. Environmental issues, green chemistry
, genetics, classification, cells, and energy are all appropriate 10th grade topic areas.
10th Grade Science Fair Project Ideas
- Which pesticide is most effective against cockroaches? ants? fleas? Is it the same chemical? Which pesticide is safest for use around food? Which is friendliest to the environment?
- Test products for impurities. For example, you could compare the amount of lead in different brands of bottled water. If a label says a product does not contain a heavy metal, is the label accurate? Do you see any evidence of leaching of hazardous chemicals from plastic into water over time?
- Which sunless tanning product produces the most realistic-looking tan?
- Which brand of disposable contact lenses last the longest before a person decides to switch them out?
- Which brand of rechargeable batteries delivers charge the longest before needing to be recharged? Does the answer depend on the type of battery-operated device?
- Test the efficiency of different shapes of fan blades.
- Can you tell how much biodiversity is in a water sample by how murky the water is?
- Determine whether ethanol really does burn more cleanly than gasoline.
- Is there a correlation between attendance and GPA? Is there a correlation between how close to the front of the classroom a student sits and GPA?
- Which method of cooking destroys the most bacteria?
- Which disinfectant kills the most bacteria? Which disinfectant is safest to use?
- Examine the effect of growing one plant species near another.
- Can you build your own electrochemical cell or battery? Test its output and efficiency.
- Try to see if there is a correlation between two different factors, such as sunspot activity and mean global temperature or skipping lunch and low test scores. How valid would you expect such a correlation to be?
- What type of cooling mat is most effective at removing excess heat from a laptop computer?
- What is the best way to store bread to preserve its freshness?
- Which types of produce induce ripening or premature rotting in other produce?
More Science Fair Project Ideas