- Nucleic acids are the molecules that code the genetic information of organisms.
- The two nucleic acids used in repair, reproduction and protein synthesis are deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA, shown) and ribonucleic acid (RNA).
- DNA and RNA are polymers made up of monomers called nucleotides.
- A DNA molecule is a double helix made up of two strands of polymers that are complementary to each other, but not identical. Hydrogen bonding holds the base pairs of the two strands together.
- RNA is used to direct the production of proteins by the cell.
10 RNA Facts
10 DNA Facts