Materials for Crystal Snowflake Ornaments
- round paper coffee filters
- food coloring (optional)
Make Crystal Snowflake Ornaments
- Cut a paper snowflake (or other shape) from the coffee filter.
- Prepare crystal solution by stirring borax into boiling water until no more will dissolve. You'll know the solution is ready if borax powder starts to accumulate on the bottom of your container.
- Add a drop of food coloring, if you want colored snowflake ornaments.
- Place the paper snowflake onto a plate or saucer. Pour the crystal solution over the snowflake, making sure it is completely covered.
- Allow crystals to grow on the snowflake until you are satisfied with their size. Small crystals take about an hour to form. You can allow the crystals to grow overnight if you want larger crystals.
- Pour off the crystal solution and carefully dislodge the crystal snowflake from the plate. This is best done with a fingernail or butter knife. You can remove any crystals that are stuck in the holes of the snowflake.
allow the crystal snowflake to fully dry before removing it and hanging it.