Solid perfume is easy to make, plus it's practical. Solid perfume won't spill. It doesn't contain alcohol, which makes this a good perfume project for people who don't want alcohol in their perfume or have trouble finding this ingredient.
Solid Perfume Ingredients
You can find beeswax and oils at most health food stores or craft stores.
- 1 tablespoon beeswax or petroleum jelly
- 1 tablespoon jojoba oil or sweet almond oil
- 8-15 drops essential oil (fragrance oils used for making perfume) [compare prices]
- small clean container (1/2 ounce) to hold your solid perfume
If you don't want to purchase a new container for your perfume, look for lip balm tins. Lipstick or chapstick containers also work well.
Make Solid Perfume
- Melt together the wax or petroleum jelly with the jojoba or sweet almond oil. You can either microwave the ingredients for a few seconds in a microwave-safe container or else you can heat the mixture over a double-boiler.
- Once this mixture has liquefied, remove it from heat. Stir in the essential oils. I like to use a toothpick for this, but you could use a straw or even a spoon. Expect your perfume to coat the stirrer, so either use something disposable or else something you can wash (i.e., don't use a wooden spoon, unless you want it to smell pretty forever).
- Pour the liquid into your final container. Set the lid on top of the container, but leave it ajar. This will help prevent condensation inside your container while minimizing the chance of microbial contamination of the product.
- Apply the perfume by rubbing a finger on the product to liquefy it, then rub your finger on the area you want scented.