Question: Can You Eat Mango Skin?
Can you eat the skin of a mango? The answer depends on a few different factors. Here's a look at the good chemicals in mango, as well as one that can cause a nasty reaction.
Answer: Although the pit of a mango isn't considered edible, some people do eat the mango skin. The skin is bitter-tasting, but the peel contains several healthful chemical compounds, including powerful antioxidants mangiferin, norathyriol, and resveratrol. However, mango skin also contains urushiol, the irritating compound found in poison ivy and poison oak. If you are sensitive to the compound, eating mango skin can cause a nasty reaction and may send you to the doctor. Contact dermatitis is more common from handling mango vines or peeling the fruit. Some people suffer reactions from eating mango, even if they are peeled. If you have a strong reaction to poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac, you may wish to avoid the risk associated with eating mango skin.