, 1946 in his laboratory in the University of California Berkeley at age 70.
Claim to Fame:
- Authored "The Atom and the Molecule" which introduced Lewis dot structures and the idea of valence bond theory.
- Postulated the electron pair relationship of acids and bases that is known as the Lewis theory of acids and bases.
- Authored "Thermodynamics and the Free Energy of Chemical Substances" which set the standard for chemical thermodynamics.
- First to produce pure deuterium and isolated naturally occurring heavy water.
- Distinguished Service Medal from the United States and the Cross of the Legion of Honor from France during World War I for his work and leadership of Chief of the Defense Division of Chemical Warfare Service.
- Chairman and Dean of College of Chemistry at University of California Berkeley.