Here are 10 interesting facts about the element oxygen. You can find more oxygen facts on the element's periodic table facts page
- Animals and plants require oxygen for respiration.
- Oxygen gas is colorless, odorless, and tasteless.
- Liquid and solid oxygen are pale blue.
- Oxygen is a non-metal.
- Oxygen gas normally is the divalent molecule O2. Ozone, O3, is another form of pure oxygen.
- Oxygen supports combustion.
- Oxygen is paramagnetic.
- Approximately 2/3 of the mass of the human body is oxygen.
- Excited oxygen is responsible for the bright red and yellow-green colors of the aurora.
- Oxygen was the atomic weight standard for the other elements until 1961 when it was replaced by carbon 12.