- Label one cup 'Borax Solution' and the other cup 'Ball Mixture'.
- Pour 2 tablespoons warm water and 1/2 teaspoon borax powder into the cup labeled 'Borax Solution'. Stir the mixture to dissolve the borax. Add food coloring, if desired.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of glue into the cup labeled 'Ball Mixture'. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the borax solution you just made and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Do not stir. Allow the ingredients to interact on their own for 10-15 seconds and then stir them together to fully mix. Once the mixture becomes impossible to stir, take it out of the cup and start molding the ball with your hands.
- The ball will start out sticky and messy, but will solidify as you knead it.
- Once the ball is less sticky, go ahead and bounce it!
- You can store your plastic ball in a sealed ziploc bag when you are finished playing with it.
- Don't eat the materials used to make the ball or the ball itself. Wash your work area, utensils, and hands when you have completed this activity.
Let's experiment with the procedure and see what happens...
Polymer ProjectsMake Gelatin Plastic
Make Plastic from Milk
Make Plastic Sulfur
Plastics and PolymersPlastics and Polymers Science Projects
Examples of Polymers
What Is Plastic?
Monomers and Polymers