If you have a glass table and a sunny day you can paint your tabletop with non-toxic crystals in a flash. It's an easy crystal-growing project, safe for kids and pets.
You can use any crystal growing solution, but I recommend using the following recipe:
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup table salt
- 1/2 cup vinegar
Start with a little pool of solution on the table. Crystals may form immediately when the liquid strikes the glass or you may see 'glitter' appear in the drops as the solution starts to evaporate. If you like, you can coat the entire table with the solution. When you are done playing, definitely break out the garden hose, since salt solution could corrode the metal on your table if left there indefinitely. The rate of evaporation will affect the size of the crystals. Fast evaporation will yield numerous tiny crystals. Slower evaporation (cooler temperatures, higher humidity) will produce larger crystals. Have fun!