Are you looking for an easy, safe, reliable crystal-growing project? These alum
crystals may be the easiest crystals you can grow.
Why This Project Rocks
- non-toxic crystal (alum is a grocery story spice)
- uses hot tap water, not boiling water
- easy to do - mix and wait
- extremely reliable results - crystals will grow
- only requires a few hours for good crystal growth
- results in crystals large enough to pick up and examine
Grow Easy Alum Crystal
To grow these crystals you will need:
- 1/2 cup hot tap water
- 2-1/2 tablespoons alum
Simply stir the alum into the water and wait for crystals to grow. Alum crystals usually are visible within a half an hour and reach a good size within a few hours. It's that esay! When the crystals are to your liking, use a fingernail to scrape them off the side of your container. You can examine them and keep them.