It's easy to grow blue-green monoclinic crystals
of copper acetate monohydrate [Cu(CH3
Time Required: a few days
- Dissolve 20 grams of copper acetate monohydrate in 200 ml of hot distilled water.
- If there is a scum of undissolved material, stir in a couple of drops of acetic acid.
- Cover the solution with a paper towel or coffer filter and allow it to cool in an undisturbed location.
- Blue-green crystals should start to spontaneously deposit within a couple of days. You can allow them to grow or can select one small crystal to use as a seed crystal to grow a larger single crystal.
What You Need
- copper acetate monohydrate
- hot distilled water
- acetic acid (if necessary)