A volumetric flask is a piece of laboratory glassware that is used to prepare a chemical solution. It is used to make up a solution to a known volume.
How to Recognize a Volumetric FlaskA volumetric flask is characterized by having a bulb and a long neck. Most volumetric flasks have a flattened bottom so that they can be set onto the lab bench, though some volumetric flasks have rounded bottoms.
How to Use a Volumetric Flask
- Measure and add the solute for the solution.
- Add enough solvent to dissolve the solute.
- Continue to add solvent until you near the line marked on the volumetric flask.
- Use a pipette or dropper to fill the volumetric flask, using the meniscus of the solution and the line on the flask to determine your endpoint.
- Seal the volumetric flask and invert it to thoroughly mix the solution.