Make your own homemade stink bombs using this easy stink bomb recipe. The stink bombs are as stinky as those you'd get at the store and can be made with common household ingredients. A video tutorial of the stink bomb project is also available, if you want to see what to expect.
Homemade Stink Bomb Ingredients
- book of matches (20 matches)
- household ammonia
- empty 20-ounce plastic bottle with cap
Make the Stink Bomb
- Use scissors or a knife to carefully cut the heads off of a book of matches.
- Place the match heads inside the empty 20-oz bottle. Add about 2 tablespoons of household ammonia.
- Seal the bottle and swirl the contents around.
Wait 3-4 days before uncapping the bottle. After this time your stink bomb will be ready to be opened.
- Uncap the bottle when you're ready to release the stink.
Stink Bomb Facts and SafetyThis stink bomb forms ammonium sulfide,(NH4)2S, which is the same chemical used in commercial prank or trick stink bombs. The ammonium sulfide is produced as a result of a reaction between hydrogen sulfide and ammonia:
H2S + 2 NH3 → (NH4)2S
The vapor is flammable and associated with hydrogen sulfide gas (rotten egg smell that is toxic in high concentrations), so only make/use the stink bomb in a well-ventilated area, away from heat and flames. Adult supervision is recommended.