Bubble Rainbow Materials
- a sock
- liquid dishwashing soap
- plastic bottle
- food coloring
Make a Homemade Bubble Snake WandYou're going to make a fat snake of bubbles. It's actually a great project even without the coloring. Here's what you do:
- Cut the bottom off of the plastic bottle. If this is a project for kids, leave this part to an adult.
- Slip a sock over the cut end of the bottle. If you like, you can secure it with a rubber band or ponytail holder. Otherwise, a small sock fits just fine or you can hold the sock over the bottle.
- Squirt dishwashing liquid into a bowl or plate. Mix in a little water to thin it out a bit.
- Dip the sock end of the bottle into the dishwashing solution.
- Blow through the mouth of the bottle to make a bubble snake. Cool, right?
- To make a rainbow, stripe the sock with food coloring. You can make any colors you like. Rainbow colors would be red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo violet. For most food coloring kits, this would be red, red + yellow, yellow, green, blue, blue + red. Apply more coloring for a more intense rainbow or to "recharge" the sock if you need more solution.
- Rinse yourself with water when you're done. The food coloring will stain fingers, clothes, etc., so it's a messy project, best done outdoors and wearing old clothes. You can rinse your homemade bubble wand and let it air dry if you wish to use again.
Learn About BubblesHow Bubbles Work
Make Colored Bubble Pictures
Make Colored Soap Bubbles
Make Glowing Bubbles