The 'chemistry' part of this snow globe lies in choosing a good liquid and sealant for your globe. Nontoxic and fun!
Time Required: Minutes to Hours
What You Need:
- Small Jars with Lids
- Mineral Oil or Water
- Egg Shell and/or Glitter
- Glue Gun or Sealant
- Decorative Objects
- You can use a variety of jars: baby food, pimiento, jelly, or any clear jar with a tight-sealing lid.
- Use a glue gun, aquarium sealant, or florist clay to adhere your 'scene' to the inside of the lid. Allow glue to 'set' the required time before adding liquid.
- Fill the jar with mineral oil, baby oil, or water. The snow or glitter will fall more slowly in the oil.
- Add crushed egg shell for snow and glitter, if desired.
- Carefully set the lid (with scene) onto the full jar and seal it tightly.
- You may wish to apply more glue or sealant around the outside rim of the jar to ensure a good seal.
- You did great! Enjoy.
- Adult supervision is required if you are using a glue gun or sealant. Sealants often give off toxic fumes, so be careful!
- Crush egg shells by rolling over then with a rolling pin, with the shells inside a heavy duty plastic bag.
- Use your creativity! You can add food coloring, bits of costume jewelry, make figures from plastic twist-ties, etc.
- You can make a decorative cover for the lid with fabric and ribbon.