While renting a smoke machine is a reliable option, here are fog instructions for the do-it-yourself types.
Time Required: Instantaneous
- This is so easy! Add chunks of dry ice (solid carbon dioxide) to hot water in a styrofoam or other insulated container.
- The fog will sink to the ground. You may use a fan on a low setting to move your 'smoke'.
- The water will cool, so you will need to refresh the hot water to maintain the effect.
- Room temperature matters - you will get the most fog in a cool room. Have fun!
- Dry ice is cold enough to give frostbite. Wear protective gloves when handling it.
- Larger chunks of dry ice will last longer than smaller ones.
- Be aware that extra carbon dioxide is being added to the air. Under some circumstances, this can present an asphyxiation hazard.
- Sometimes inexpensive dry ice machines are available, otherwise check party supply stores and shipping companies for availability.
- Keep dry ice away from childen, pets, and fools! Adult supervision is required.
What You Need
- Dry Ice (Carbon Dioxide)
- Hot Water
- Insulated Container