These instructions will result in either clear or amber glass, depending on the cooking time used.
Time Required: 30 minutes
- Butter or line a baking sheet with baker's (silicon) paper. Place the sheet in the refrigerator to chill.
- Pour the sugar into a small pan on a stove over low heat.
- Stir continuously until the sugar melts (takes a while). If you have a candy thermometer, remove from heat at the hard crack stage (clear glass).
- If the sugar is heated just past the hard crack stage it will turn amber (colored translucent glass).
- Poor the melted sugar onto the cooled pan. Allow it to cool.
- The glass may be used as candy windows or for lots of other neat purposes :-)
- Boiling water will dissolve the sugar and speed clean-up.
- The glass can be colored using food coloring. Add the coloring after the candy has finished cooking and has cooled slightly.
- Please use adult supervision for this one! Molten sugar can cause serious burns.
What You Need
- 1c (250mL) sugar
- flat baking sheet
- butter or baking paper
- candy thermometer