Most crystals take days or weeks to form. Use this technique if you have a sunny day and want crystals FAST!
Time Required: 1-3 hours
- First, a sunny day isn't required, but it will help! You want rapid evaporation of the water to form the crystals, so select a warm, dry place to grow crystals (sunny porch or window is great).
- Use the scissors to cut black (or other dark color) construction paper so that it will fit in the bottom of the pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt to 1/4 cup warm water. Stir until the salt is dissolved.
- Put the construction paper in the pan and pour the salt solution over the paper.
- Put the pan in the place you have selected for crystal-growing. As the water evaporates, you'll see lots of spiky crystals.
- Have fun! Use a magnifying glass to see your creations up-close.
- This is one of the fastest, least toxic methods of growing crystals. You can substitute regular salt for Epsom, but the resulting crystals won't be as exciting.
- Wash your hands after handling Epsom salts. Don't drink the solution and avoid spilling it on yourself.
- Experiment with adding water colors or food color to the salt solution.
What You Need
- black construction paper
- pie or cake pan
- warm water
- Epsom salt