1. Education

Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.

How to Make Hot Peppers Stop Burning

By March 30, 2014

I like the burn of hot peppers, but you can get too much of a good thing. From a chemistry standpoint, what can you do that actually stops the burning of hot peppers? What doesn't work? Here's what you need to know:

Why Hot Peppers Burn

Hot peppers contain a compound called capsaicin or any of the related compounds called capsaicinoids which produce a burning sensation when they comes into contact with mucous membranes. Although capsaicinoids produce a feeling of heat, they won't actually attack your tissue or cause a chemical burn. The molecules bind to a pain receptor, so you may suffer excuciating agony, but your body isn't being harmed by the chemical. Capsaicin is an alkaline oil. If you keep its chemical properties in mind, you'll have a better chance of soothing the burn.

Water Does Not Help

Drinking water doesn't stop the burning because the oil-based capsaicin won't dissolve in water. If anything, water spreads the burning to parts that weren't previously affected.

Avoid Alcohol

Alcohol is useless against the heat of a hot pepper. Chasing hot food with alcohol will magnify the burn because the capsaicin will dissolve in the alcohol, but won't be neutralized by it. You'll spread the burn around. The exception here would be if you've had enough alcohol to dull pain reception.

Drink Acid

No, I'm not talking about sulfuric acid or anything like that, but if you follow the hot peppers with an acidic food or drink you can neutralize some of the activity of the alkaline capsaicinoid. Good choices include cold lemonade, a lemon or lime, orange juice, anything tomato-based, or drinking milk (which is acidic).

Do Dairy

Milk, yogurt, and sour cream are acidic, which helps to combat the burning. The milk protein called casein acts as a natural detergent, breaking up the capsaicin. Many dairy products also contain fat which can help to dissolve the capsaicin. To get the most benefit from dairy, go for an acidic product that contains fat. In other words, sour cream or ice cream will help you more than skim milk.

Add Carbohydrates

If you eat your hot peppers with bread, rice, tortillas or any other starchy carbohydrate you'll lessen the burning from the peppers. This works by providing a physical barrier between your mouth and some of the capsaicin so less of it contacts your tongue, lips, etc. The sugars in the carbohydrates may also help lessen the activity of the capsaicinoids.

Other Remedies

Do you know of other hot pepper remedies that work? Any that definitely do not help? Post a reply and share your experience.

Comments

May 17, 2010 at 8:17 am
(1) Rose Johnson says:

For pepper burn my husband and I dissolve a sugar cube in our mouth (or a teaspoon of sugar) . This also helps to stop hiccups.

May 17, 2010 at 9:52 am
(2) David Bird says:

Thanks for this. Up to now the only remedy that has ever worked for me was to bang my head really hard against a wall. Doesn’t directly alleviate the burning but takes my mind off of it until it passes.

May 17, 2010 at 9:54 am
(3) Mike Borrello says:

I’ve found that sucking on a lemon or lime such that the juices flow over the affected area of the tongue can provide immediate relief for the burning sensation caused by peppers. The citric acid rapidly neutralizes the alkaline pH.

May 17, 2010 at 11:12 am
(4) Qudratullah says:

Oil and ghee has done good to me.

May 17, 2010 at 1:58 pm
(5) Bill Horvath says:

MythBusters did an episode covering folk remedies for neutralizing hot peppers. This site seems to have an accurate summary: http://mythbustersresults.com/episode91

May 17, 2010 at 2:02 pm
(6) Bill says:

Vinegar — acetic acid; topically or internally

May 17, 2010 at 3:56 pm
(7) marly says:

Sugar can help, although its sometimes disgusting with the taste of the pepper

May 17, 2010 at 6:48 pm
(8) keith says:

this is gross , but it works. Get a teaspoon of salt, swish it in your mouth for a minute and spit it out (don’t swallow , even if you could , that much is toxic). The salt draws the hot oils out of your mouth and it seems to work.

May 18, 2010 at 6:43 pm
(9) jenn says:

i once was slicing some rather juicy peppers, and got sprayed in the face, just a drop on my forehead, and the burning sensation slowly crawled across my face and eyeballs. I actually put my face in a bowl of milk, but it was useless. I ended up just waiting it out.. what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Any suggestions about what I COULD have done?

May 26, 2010 at 8:26 am
(10) mc collins says:

when i was young my grand mum will always tell us to go and bite the stem of a plantain each time we eat scorching pepper.We did this and found some relief.But this is absurd to me now.Vinegar can be the best remedy

July 14, 2010 at 5:01 pm
(11) sysarc says:

Acetic acid is an easy solution, so following up an ethnic meal with a tablespoon of Spanish Olives along with a bit of the juice provides enough vinegar to sooth the mouth and more importantly, heartburn. I keep a large jar in the frig for just such an occasion.

August 14, 2010 at 11:04 pm
(12) pepperqueen says:

I have had a few instances with peppers…. cubenelle and jalapenos destroy me (more topically than internally…) I dip my hands in white vinegar if the burning starts, and within minutes, the pain is gone!! Hope this helps….

September 15, 2010 at 8:00 pm
(13) mike says:

I got the juice from some very hot peppers in my eyes,I poured apple cidercider vinegar on a paper towel and rubbed it on my eyes and face..the burning started going away in seconds!!!!!!!

April 2, 2011 at 10:13 pm
(14) Straightedgebill says:

An ex gf used to cut up lemon wedges and stick them in a bowl of sugar . She swore by it. I always wanted to be Mr. tough guy so would not use them because hot foods actually release pain reducing hormones and help elevate your mood naturally. But one day I was given some hot sauce called “BURN YOUR A$$” hot sauce, and there was a guy on the bottle sitting with his pants down on a block of ice with flames shooting out.
Needless to say I was gobbling sugar lemons. I wasn’t so tough after all lol. But they work great for hot peppers it took nearly all the burn away instantly. That’s not even the hottest one the sell either, they keep the locked up in a special wood vault and can only be opened by a store employee , you also have to be at least 18 to buy them. There are dozens of varieties to choose from with very graphic and funny pictures to go along with the name on the bottle . They can be found at a place called Jungle Jims, in Cincinatti Ohio. That place is bigger than a walmart with foods from all over the world .

April 9, 2011 at 12:17 pm
(15) Randy Harper says:

I’ve been growing a wide variety of peppers for over 11 years now including some of the mildest and some of the hottest. I’m glad to find a chemistry perspective of it. Don’t be fooled into thinking capsium is harmless. It can cause blistering and chemical burn in adequate concentration, although most people will never be exposed to that high a level.

Water soluable oils and acids are the best for dispersion and neutralizeng. Starches are pretty good and absorbing and can pull even deeply imbedded oils from the skin, but will not neutralize the oil. Probably the toughest area for a pepper burn is the eyes. While sour cream or fresh avacado may be effective at dispersion and neutralizing, there is a risk to stuffing organic matter into your eyeballs. Generally the best approach to an eye burn is face downward and let your natural tears clean it out. If it’s a problem burn the tears will come and the water soluable oils will dissolve and flush out the capsium. Just remember to avoid rubbing it over your face.

For in the mouth burns I’ve found nothing works better or faster than avacado, pineapple second. then sour cream, then citrus. Also soaking a piece of non-oily bread is a great way to slowly draw the oils from the mucus membrain. Vinegar is only somewhat effective and can create problems with your internal acid level. Alcohol is useless.

For external skin I typically wash with soap and water then soak in corn starch for 45 minutes sometimes repeating up to two more times for heavy exposure. And have a beer in the meantime.

If you use the oil concentrate follow saftey instrusctions, wear your ppe and keep neutralizing agents (plural) on hand. The burns can cause adequate tissue dammage to expose you to infection risk and can lead to permanent scar buildup in the eyes.

In summary always remember “If it works, do it”.

June 25, 2011 at 8:08 pm
(16) Kari says:

So, I was using the new ICY HOT Naturals…that contains capsaicin. I started working in the yard, working up a sweat. WRONG!! The capsaicin felt like acid; I was in horrible pain and couldn’t find a way to relieve it. I tried to rub and wash it off, even putting yogurt on my skin. It didn’t work.

A gardening website recomended rubbing alcohol! Pour onto a cloth and wipe across the skin. It absolutely worked…within seconds! I don’t know how, but it completely stopped the pain and the pain did not return.

(This goes without saying, but please do not ingest rubbing alcohol. I used this externally, on my skin only).

Go to your local dollar store and stick in your medicine cabinet for future use.

August 30, 2011 at 10:41 pm
(17) zeno says:

I find that a handful of salty nuts helps

October 14, 2011 at 9:57 pm
(18) kp says:

Ok, I know this would never be a first choice, but if u get hot peppers on your hands & don’t have anything handy to stop the burn or nothing else is working then you could use urine. I know it’s nasty but it works instantly. Just make sure you wash up extra, extra good! Then buy gloves for the future.:)

October 28, 2011 at 6:59 am
(19) norma says:

why would you want the good oils of the pepper not to work is a natural thing .just feel pain for your own good .

November 19, 2011 at 8:15 pm
(20) lisa says:

I made some sauce with haberno peppers ,what worked to stop the burning was gojo {hand greese cleaner} the thing u used to clean grease off after you work on a car and then I washed it off with bleach then after i rinsed it with vinegar and then put some aloe vera gel. definitely help stop the burning. Also only use bleach if it is something you are use to using otherwise it will also burn your skin.

November 24, 2011 at 12:19 am
(21) Frank says:

I ate some Doritos Flamas (a new flavor, that I kid you not, is hotter than hell!) and drank Diet Pepsi to neutralize the peppers.

December 24, 2011 at 5:58 am
(22) csd says:

for an external pepper burn dissolve a antacid in a little bit of water then soak the area in it. It works

December 29, 2011 at 11:45 pm
(23) Dana says:

I read that the spicy molecule is oil based, so I tried washing my mouth out and gargling with soap. It reduced the burn faster than vinegar.

February 26, 2012 at 9:12 pm
(24) James says:

Well I just ate 2 habeneros and figured out that peanut butter is the way to go

February 27, 2012 at 11:26 pm
(25) Tommy Vu says:

I found that hot sauce can be ceased by a pinch of salt as well or two pinches.

March 19, 2012 at 4:02 pm
(26) chance says:

I think that if you put flour on your tounge it would stop the burn. Since capsaicin is made of oil it should soak it up. We use cat litter to clean up oil in our garge floor so the principle should apply.

April 6, 2012 at 3:56 pm
(27) maria says:

well my friend burned mouth do what

April 22, 2012 at 2:28 pm
(28) Erika says:

I’m not sure if this would work for peppers but I know that when I give myself a facial peel and it starts to burn I mix baking soda in water and put it on my face and the burning stops immediately..

May 2, 2012 at 3:12 pm
(29) Carrie says:

This was a huge help because we had a pepper eating contests for Cinco de Mayo at work…and my tounge would not stop burning…it was terrible.

May 29, 2012 at 7:06 pm
(30) Carol Masotta says:

Thanks so much! It worked instantly!

June 13, 2012 at 12:09 am
(31) Terry Duncan says:

Honey will stop the burn like nothing else I have ever tried. Take a teaspoon of honey into your mouth and swirl it around to cover everywhere the pepper is burning you. Swallow when you finish.

July 3, 2012 at 12:09 am
(32) Susie says:

I have never heard it before but I have found that I can drink coffee with my Bojangles chicken and it will not burn me. I drink coffee with cream and Sweet n Low or Splenda. Why does it work? Milk does not help but coffee does. Crazy, huh?

August 11, 2012 at 5:22 pm
(33) katie says:

I tried all of the solutions in previous comments. Some worked for about 30 seconds, then the heat came back! I finally used “Monky Butt” a powder that absorbs sweat. I coated my hands and left it on for about 5 minutes. I sprayed Shout on my hands and added more Monkey Butt and rinsed. It really helped reduce the pain to a very low level

August 22, 2012 at 4:27 pm
(34) Occavehem says:

“I think it’s a fairly straightforward thing to prove if they were painted by Neanderthals…. All we have to do is go back and date more of these samples, and find a date that predates the arrival of modern humans in Europe,” he told me.
Ukrainian ladies love flowers, especially roses. Never buy a dozen flowers; instead, buy the odd number of it. Even numbers of flowers are only given on sad occasions. Ukrainian women are interested in your personal qualities. It’s always good to remember that Your sincerity and honesty are far more important then your checkbook. Ukrainian women are seeking for men who are trusting, sensitive, caring, understanding, compassionate and dependable.
As the world’s leading internet matchmaking site, has an excellent reputation for giving the best dating and relationship advice – and they should, since Dr. Phil is the one dishing it out. On top of that, also has hundreds of interesting articles relating to any and every topic you can imagine and some you may have never thought of. Browse through the millions of personal ads of other people searching for love and romance and find your true match. With their easy to use website that lets you send free winks and store a list of favorite profiles, it is easy to connect with someone. And with a little guidance from Dr. Phil and match.com, anything is possible.
Yumixo Team today announced the release of their dating application for iOS devices. Yumixo mobile app uses geo-location functionality to help singles to find dates nearby. Dates are the core of Yumixo experience and they are all about offline dating. People post first date suggestions either to the community overall, or they can invite someone specific. For example, a person can post a date: “let’s take a tango class and then test our moves at the Cinco de Mayo party.” Potential matches may reply by indicating their interest in this date. If both parties are interested, they can settle on specifics of the meeting by safely communicating within the application, without revealing their phone number of email address. In addition to finding the dates, the app allows to find other singles in the vicinity. With Foursquare integration Yumixo allows to assign a nearby place to a date, so that people can imagine their first date in that place.
Interracial dating – yes we allow interracial dating too – although we might also discuss it a lot as well. So if you are looking for a mixed match, and fancy an interracial affair, then this could well be the site to search.
is the time in years, h is the half-life, also in years, and ln is the natural logarithm.
If you meet a few people online in your area, you can arrange a get together for you all rather than meeting on a one-to-one basis.

September 4, 2012 at 2:01 pm
(35) Ida says:

My husband taught me to eat butter along with hot sauces or peppers years ago, and the pain will not even attack, or it will alleviate the pain if it starts. It probably has something to do with the fat in the butter which explains why avocados work as well. It sure is a better option than getting rid of the pleasant taste of the foods I enjoy by taking a mouthful of sugar or salt.

September 5, 2012 at 3:42 am
(36) Payal says:

Honey..yes it works like miracle !!!

October 11, 2012 at 12:59 am
(37) hmmm says:

hmmm, comment 34 has nothing to do with peppers.

November 2, 2012 at 4:20 pm
(38) Nick says:

I eat a banana it worked pretty good

December 21, 2012 at 10:14 pm
(39) 5 Alarm burn! says:

Well I’ll tell ya what works because I just did an (accidental) homemade experiment! Just had a Subway veggie delight and I ALWAYS get jalapeños. Well I must have gotten one with a TON of seeds because I was about to call the fire dept, LOL. Here’s my results:
First I went for the milk. I only have skim. It only helped if I kept it in my mouth. Couldn’t drink THAT much.
Second I went for the cottage cheese. Again, it only helped while I had it in my mouth. But helped a bit more than the skim.
While shoveling cottage cheese with one hand and typing with the other, (Thank you google auto suggestions!) I found this page. I quickly scrolled thru.
Third I tried sugar. Damn! I had to try to open the new package with one hand while still shoveling cottage cheese with the other hand! Ok sugar didn’t really work.
It wouldn’t stop burning!!!!
Fourth–WE HAVE A WINNER! Straight lemon juice!!! I wasn’t going to guzzle it because of the milk and cottage cheese I just ate so I sipped from a teaspoon and swished it. Two teaspoons did the trick. Besides I only had a couple tablespoons left in the bottle.
Wow. Have never burned myself like that except when I ate too much unripe pineapple once. But that was more painful than burning.
I may nix the jalapeños next time.

January 10, 2013 at 10:24 pm
(40) Dennis says:

I would think the best thing to use on your skin would be what we use for pepper spray training. Johnson and Johnson Baby Shampoo – because of the oil base the soap will take it off and you can spray it in your eyes. This is just a suggestion.

January 12, 2013 at 2:57 am
(41) perrsephanie18 says:

was cutting a pablano chili yesterday and (dumb I know) didn’t wear gloves. I tried EVERYTHING to get rid of the burn on my left hand. Here’s what I tried: milk, ice water, Pepto Bismal, lemon juice, canola oil, alcohol, diluted bleach, cottage cheese, yogurt, apple cider vinegar, tomato juice, AND vaseline; each separately. I even soaked my hand in the canola oil for 30 minutes. What worked? The milk works INSTANTLY but only for 3 minutes at a time (then the sting comes back). The Vaseline took 30 minutes to work but had a lasting effect. Hope this is helpful for someone :)

January 18, 2013 at 2:23 am
(42) Kim says:

Burning eyes! Chopped up some birds eye chili peppers and then touched my eye. A friend sent me this article and told me to flush with milk. I did and had instant relief! Thank you thank you thank you.

January 31, 2013 at 1:23 am
(43) Sandy says:

Ok, I bought Capzasin for very painful arthritis in my hands, I put cream on all over my hands and in about 3 minutes, I thought that I had gotten stung with a million red ants. It was very painful. I couldnt get rid of the pain, I tried the dish soap and the vinegar that I read here but nothing worked. So I tried the old remedy that I remembered and read here. I urinated on my hands: it stopped instantly! PLEASE wash well, but it worked after suffering 3 hours of terrible burning redness and pain.

March 31, 2013 at 12:26 pm
(44) Dr Rita Jacobsen says:

I am a chili researcher. There is no doubt that any OIL applied to the area experiencing the burning sensation, is significantly the best solution. Oil is a solvent for capsaicin, the chemical responsible for the pain. Our research has shown the even when eyes have been in contact with the ‘Trinidad scorpion’, the Guiness world record hottest chili on the planet, washing the eye out with OIL removes the pain within a few minutes. It is best to wipe off the first application with paper, then refresh the oil etc. Keep well away from water, which only spreads the capsaicin and worsens the pain. Any OIL may be used including olive oil, sunlower oil etc. If the mouth is burning, swirl a tablespoon of oil in the mouth, then swallow it or spit it out. Interestingly, in India, chilis are used to treat stomach ulcers. Similarly, one may safely work by bare hand with raw chillis, without pain, if the hands are dipped in oil before handling. When finished, wipe oil off with a paper towel, then wash with soap to remove the oil. It is also handy to know that the sensatuon of burning is intensified with heat, e.g. taking a hot shower, or having a hot drink. Cold lessens the sensation.

April 3, 2013 at 12:51 pm
(45) logan speed says:

i am doing the atomic wing challenge at the lube thanks

April 6, 2013 at 3:21 pm
(46) Azim says:

i’m one of those young morons who just moved into a house a few months ago. i bought some food and i thought to myself it needed some more “kick” to it, so i decided to add some spicy peppers to it. in my ignorance and stupidity, i took a bunch of peppers and crushed it with my bare hands to add to my food. that was 9 hours ago.

i’ve tried everything i’ve read on the internet, and nothing worked. also, since i had just moved in, there were very few choices i really had.

vegetable oils? none.
lime? orange? none.
milk? yogurt? none. i was desperate enough to lather my hands with my creamy “milk bath”… i’m gonna complain to the company about their so-called “milk” content soon i tell you…
alcohol? none. but i was desperate, so i sprayed perfume and aftershave on my hands… burns like hell, but smells great though.
urine? even after a few times, it still only worked for only a few seconds… and now my hands didn’t smell so nice anymore…

then i remembered that a few days ago i got some take-away from McDonalds, and i had one of those small teeny-tiny ketchup satchets. My last hope. wore it on my hands for about 20 minutes, and now the majority of the pain is gone. i still feel some tingling, but i feel so happy i feel like crying.

Thank you McDonalds!!!!!

April 13, 2013 at 11:26 am
(47) Nancy says:

Thank you, David Bird. Your comment totally made me laugh loud.

P.S. Milk does help alleviate the burn a little. Next time I’ll try lemons or limes.

May 3, 2013 at 11:02 pm
(48) chef Giovanni says:

Peanut butter neutralizes the capaiscin is 3 minutes, so does chocolate

May 13, 2013 at 5:37 pm
(49) Claire says:

Honey honey honey!

May 21, 2013 at 6:45 pm
(50) Miguel Martinez says:

This sounds crazy but I usually use flush my mouth with hot water. The pain gets really bad while your swishing the hot water in your mouth but once you spit it out you feel the burning sensation immediately fade away and it comes to point where its bearable. Repeat this until the pain is completely gone or unnoticeable.

I’ve been eating hot sauce for YEARS!! This WORKS!!

May 23, 2013 at 4:03 pm
(51) Deadxl says:

I agree with Migeul Martinez using hot water. I have been a chilihead for years. I have bottles of both The Source and Crazy Uncle Jesters Jester. Sometimes I get a little too much and need some relief. I will use Dawn dishwashing soap with the hot water to break up the oils so I can spit it out. You can also use the heavy syrup from a can of madarin orange slices. If you have a can chilled in the fridge the sugary syrup is great relief and takes a lot of the heat right away.

June 3, 2013 at 9:08 pm
(52) tucker says:

cucumber seems to work … very spicy dishes served in some parts of thailand come with a side of sliced cucumber to snack on between bites and seems to work … sprinkling the cucumber with some salt works even beter

June 21, 2013 at 3:06 pm
(53) Zach Smith says:

when i tried this it was the biggest relief when i tried the mourga scorpion thanks

June 23, 2013 at 1:10 am
(54) Handsome Wei says:

I will drink oil :)

July 3, 2013 at 8:09 pm
(55) Dogpunk says:

This is the best thread ever.

July 20, 2013 at 10:38 pm
(56) chad says:

Do not brush teeth!!! Learned the hard way on this one however V8 juice works miracles!!!!

July 24, 2013 at 12:01 am
(57) Dilan says:

Cranberry pomegranite juice seemed to help almost instantly with burn, pleasant surprise

September 11, 2013 at 9:23 pm
(58) Pieinear says:

I recently harvested some habenaro peppers from my garden.
Being a pepper beer lover, I cut 1/2 of a pepper and put it in a Corona and re-capped it for two weeks.
I swear that the bottle was smoking when I opened it.
But went ahead anyway and drank some. Didn’t seem too bad so I drank some more.
Then all hell broke loose! My lips and tongue were so hot it felt like I was chewing a red hot piece of charcoal. “Fired” up my Mac and read that lemons help. Ran to the fridge and chewed the end off a lemon then went for the fruit part. Instant and permanent relief. The moral of the story: If you put the habenaro in the beer, put the lemons in the refrigerator.

September 12, 2013 at 2:45 pm
(59) Ben says:

I agree with miguel (comment 50) that hot water works to relieve the burn in your mouth, as it helps wash away the fats that the capsaicin is dissolved in. (think butter. hot water melts it right away) NEVER use hot water if the burn is on your skin. hot water opens up your pores and will wash the capsaicin into them. once that happens you’ll be stuck with the pain for quite some time, no matter what remedies you try. You should use cold liquids (again, not water) to get rid of the capsaicin. I find that sour cream works wonders.

One more thing, if you did wash your hands in hot water, all hope is not lost. If you heat up some milk, about as warm as you can stand, it will open up your pores and slowly wash out the capsaicin. It won’t be as quick as it would have been had you not washed your hands without water, but it will help. Unfortunately heat speeds up chemical reactions, so for the first minute or two the pain will seem to be worse, but it will start to go away soon enough.

September 21, 2013 at 11:59 pm
(60) Mike says:

What is ghee?

September 23, 2013 at 5:45 pm
(61) SJM says:

Mike Borello’s advice saved my life! I used lemon juice presqueezed in the plastic look alike lemon and it worked great. It was a mistake thinking these were flavor full sweet peppers and man how stupid. I was running around it was so bad. (-: Threw an ice cube in my mouth, and that helped a little but seemed like it was spreading…..while I quickly looked this up on the web and figured out why that was so! So I quickly spit out the ice cube which by that time my lips were now on fire as well. Quickly grabbed the lemon juice and ahhhhh, what a relief. Man I was desperate! (-: Just wanted to let anyone knows who reads this for a quick cure.

September 28, 2013 at 8:43 am
(62) pepper pals says:

The Skovile scale is based on how many ppm of sugar it will take to neutralize the capsaisin of that particular pepper. So if a Habanero is 750,000 S.U.’s, then its 750,000ppm of sugar to neutralize the burn to that pepper and so on. I like milk chocolate cuz of the sugar + its mouth coating properties or chocolate fudgesicles. Cold, soothing, mouth coating AND sugar content.

October 3, 2013 at 9:03 pm
(63) Cindy says:

deseeded a bunch of hot Korean peppers to dry for kimchi later. Thoroughly soaked the hot juice into my finger tips. Just tried the sour cream on them and definitely helped alot, but now about 10 min later I’m starting to feel a bit of heat again. May need to try something else again.

October 7, 2013 at 12:54 am
(64) Adrienne Boswell says:

A few comments:
1. I always would see the advice to wear gloves when dealing with peppers, but I never did because I never had a problem – until… I was making something that required a lot of chopping of peppers. The capsaisin got on my skin, and I was really stupid and washed my hands in hot water. My hands had a “warm” sensation for three days. Now, if I have to work with peppers, I use a silicon mitt or plastic bags to protect my hands.
2. A long time ago, I was challenged by the chef or a well known restaurant in Hollywood to eat a habenero. This was when they first became available to mainstream restaurants. It was a cold, gloomy day, the kind of cold that penetrates to your bones and you just can’t get warm enough. Well, I sat down and asked for a glass of milk to go with my pepper. They didn’t have it, but they had half and half, so I had a big glass of that sitting next to me. The habenero was presented to me on a small plate. It was frozen! I took a tiny bite out of it and was delighted by the pleasant intense peach flavor that came before the blazing fire hit my tongue. I was so surprised that I just popped the rest of it into my mouth and swallowed it – whole – and then washed it down with the glass of half and half. As the thing melted in my stomach, it warmed me up. Everyone else was walking around complaining about the cold, and I was happy with my own personal internal heater. I still like habenero, especially with peaches!

October 8, 2013 at 7:38 pm
(65) Marcia says:

Try your hair. If you get pepper juice in your eyes just take your ponytail or someone else s and rub your eye. The hair absorbs the oil and the burn is gone almost immediately.
I’v e been using this method for over forty years and never had a problem.

October 9, 2013 at 5:08 pm
(66) Lotus says:

Unripened bananas have a natural anesthetic. Rubbing the unripened inside of the peel will numb the affected area, also chewing the unripened banana itself can numb your mouth. This won’t nuetralize the capsaicin but it will mask the pain for nearly an hour.

October 18, 2013 at 2:34 pm
(67) Christine Gajski says:

Yesterday I cut an abundance of hot peppers from my garden, Yes I stupidly used hot water. I tried white vinegar. No luck. Heated the white vinegar in microwave for 1 minute, burned worse. Mixed the heated white vinegar with 1/2 cup white sugar, and a cup of cold coffee. Pain is gone. Thanks to a mixture of home remedies from many of you. Thanks so much…next time I’ll wear gloves

October 22, 2013 at 11:54 am
(68) Logan says:

I have always had decent results with Black Olives. In all of the years that I have used them after a hot pepper I have never looked it up until today.

Come to find out, I guess they are alkaline too? Maybe it’s the unsaturated fat or something?

I dunno, but it has always seemed to work for me.

October 28, 2013 at 10:25 am
(69) Marcus L says:

Poroxide stops the burn

November 3, 2013 at 12:06 am
(70) Chilihead1 says:

I discovered banana’s as a cure, by accident a couple weeks ago. I look forward to trying some of these other ideas.
Is there a danger to digesting to much capsaicin in a certain amount of time? Other than fire shooting out your @$$ the next day.
I just pulled my Thai hot peppers inside and hope I can keep my crop growing all winter long. Throw some of these in some chili and life is good :)

November 4, 2013 at 1:16 am
(71) Damon says:

Best remedy EVER for hot peppers is A SALTINE CRACKER & a glass of VITAMIN D MILK. Then top it off with a teaspoon of peanut butter or sour cream/yogurt.
Nothing better

November 9, 2013 at 4:50 am
(72) Sandy says:

I have to disagree that the water is not effective. It depends on the temperature it is at which is more useful. I’ve grown up eating the spiciest peppers from thai chilies to ghost peppers to the trinidad. Everytime I feel as if I have slightly overwhelmed myself, I put hot water from the sink in my mouth for about 5 seconds while I swish it around. After 5 seconds spit the water back out and repeat again. Yes! It will burn probably 10 times more but the result is almost immediate! This hot water will break up the oils and release itself from the insides of your mouth.

November 23, 2013 at 12:15 am
(73) shah says:

Seriously, smoke a cig, always worked for me even after a bhut naga half through a smoke the chilli gone, (smoking is seriously bad for health)

November 27, 2013 at 9:49 pm
(74) tandra says:

Honey is a definite soother for that burn, and its almost instant.
Yaaaayyyy what a relief.

January 11, 2014 at 5:50 am
(75) Joe says:

Absolutely great article, and this thread is classic.

I’ve been attempting to make adobo sauce. It went as far as that ‘attempting’ because it turned out far too spicy, was the hottest stuff I’ve experienced, blew my head off!

January 26, 2014 at 5:58 pm
(76) John says:

When I cook with peppers I make sure I wash my hands frequently, do not touch my eyes or mouth, and when I was growing up my mother would wear gloves and wash her hands afterward when cutting them.

Eating starchy foods like a tortilla, or rice can help, and also just waiting out the burn and then eating a bit more of it helps me personally since the initial burn is very hot but the rest is not bad for me. A Mexican friend of mine told me to eat something sweet like candy or chocolate after having a very hot pepper. Eating yogurt helps which is what my South Indian friends do, and some people eat ice cream. I tried eating a citrus fruit as the article suggested, and that can help.

January 28, 2014 at 1:07 am
(77) Multishopbd.com says:

February 3, 2014 at 9:29 am
(78) Sweaty says:

I was chopping hot peppers once and then had to pee… What a mistake.!! Got some on my balls and the feeling only hit about 2 minutes later… I had to take a shower cause the pain was that bad! It didn’t really help but cold water on my balls just froze them and completely removed any sensation. Maybe I should have squirted some lemon juice or put them in a bowl of milk? Lol

February 8, 2014 at 4:48 pm
(79) Bruno says:

I knew milk helped but this was so helpfull to me
I stupidly ate one and there was almost no milk
Its like your eating a burning peace of coal XD
Thanks anyway

February 10, 2014 at 12:43 pm
(80) Jessica says:

Pepper on your face burns!! Please help me ASAP please

February 13, 2014 at 1:24 am
(81) thu says:

Hot water!!! help Desolved burning hot peper from your mouth. Rinsed It out with hot water 4 couple time .It gonna burn for a couple seconds then it gna clear out. It doesn’t matter how hot the pepper is it take 10 second to Desolved the burning from your mouth. Just rinse it out wit hot hot waters couple time. I been eating peper all my life an the hottest pepper. That’s the secret nobody no about it is hot water.

February 17, 2014 at 8:29 am
(82) samatha says:

mint helps or chewing gum whitch is minty i should knnow because this just happend to me. as you breath in it feels realy good as you breath out not as good but the poor you all the hot peppers flovour is gone

February 20, 2014 at 12:07 am
(83) John says:

Something that also helps is frequently eating hot peppers. I went from not eating them at all to eating Habaneros but I worked my way up to a chili that hot. As I wrote earlier when I cut up or cook with fresh hot peppers I wear gloves, take them off, and wash my hands after cutting them, and I do not touch my eyes.

March 1, 2014 at 12:51 am
(84) Nikki says:

Maybe I’m strange but the after I eat something really hot and my mouth starts to water I keep the saliva in my mouth and soak my tongue in it lol…. And it’s gone right away… It’s the only thing that help me lol

March 8, 2014 at 9:43 pm
(85) hot peppa says:

Lots of salt sprinkled on a tortilla chip chased with a salt rimmed old fashioned lime margarita….si si it works….and those peppers in the grocers have a slight oil coating because the hand pickers oil their hands for their work

March 14, 2014 at 8:19 pm
(86) Nita says:

Sweet tea does it for me when I am out….

March 26, 2014 at 3:01 am
(87) Fred says:

To comment 60 asking what is ghee: it is similar to clarified butter, but has been cooked a little longer so the milk solids have browned before being removed. Some people use the terms clarified butter and ghee interchangeably but they are wrong.

Basically you take butter, melt it in a pot, wait for the milk solids to separate from the fat, then keep an eye on the milk solids tumbling around at the bottom of the pan. Once the solids turn light brown, pour the whole batch through a cheesecloth to filter the solids out. The oil that’s left is ghee.

If you had poured it through a cheesecloth before the solids turn brown, then it’s clarified butter.

March 29, 2014 at 6:35 am
(88) bart says:

Beer works for me. Also tastes better than milk.

April 20, 2014 at 9:50 am
(89) damian says:

Strawberries! try it. works for me. believe it or not.