Make Rochelle SaltYou will need:
- Cream of Tartar
- Washing Soda or Sodium Carbonate (which you can get by heating baking soda or sodium bicarbonate in a 275°F oven for an hour)
- Heat a mixture of about 80 grams cream of tartar in 100 milliliters of water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Slowly stir in sodium carbonate. The solution will bubble after each addition. Continue adding sodium carbonate until no more bubbles form.
- Chill this solution in the refrigerator. Crystalline Rochelle salt will form on the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the Rochelle salt. If you redissolve it in a small amount of clean water, you can use this material to grow single crystals.
Photo: Rochelle salt crystal grown on Skylab (NASA)