1. Education

Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.

The Boy Chemist - Download a Classic Chemistry Book

By February 21, 2014

If you read and enjoyed "The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments" then you'll likely want to add "The Boy Chemist" to your library. "The Boy Chemist" is a book by A. Frederick Collin, published in 1924 by Lothrop, Lee & Shepard Co., Boston. This 300+ page book outlines tons of interesting home chemisty projects, including how to prepare several elements and compounds (e.g., oxygen, chlorine, hydrogen, hydrochloric acid), how to make useful home chemicals (e.g., soap, stain removers, disinfectants), and how make simple pyrotechnic devices and use chemistry to perform magic tricks. As you have likely figured out, many of these projects are a little on the risky side so they won't be found in modern chemistry books. I probably would not recommend this book for an actual 'boy chemist', but it's a wonderful chemistry book for an adult chemist. You can download the pdf of "The Boy Chemist" to save on your computer or print. I'd like to extend my thanks to Mike Carambat for providing a copy of the book.

Comments

February 23, 2010 at 12:17 pm
(1) Jorge Ochoa says:

Thanks for you information is realy useful!!!

Saludos

February 24, 2010 at 8:27 am
(2) trex says:

for this useful information…….

February 26, 2010 at 7:15 am
(3) blue ocean says:

Please also add his book “The boy scientist by A. Fredrick Collins. Please ad it also.

March 1, 2010 at 7:10 am
(4) Suresh says:

Thanks for useful informations,

June 7, 2010 at 1:58 pm
(5) Ibewuihe Simeon says:

It is wonderfully made, thanks

August 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm
(6) Big mike says:

I have a copy of the boy scientist. unfortunately I will never have the patience to scan it into pdf.

If someone wants to scan it, and is willing to leave their new car, wife or girlfriend as a hostage to ensure I get the book returned, I’ll mail it to them.

November 30, 2010 at 1:32 pm
(7) Dr Benway says:

There seem to be two different books by the title “the boy scientist”. They are both interesting. One is in print and available through amazon isbn 978-1-58816-771-2. The other does not seem to bear an isbn, but has library of congress card number 55-11410 and is copyright 1955.

December 3, 2010 at 11:44 am
(8) Lisa says:

A. Frederick Collins – the author – is himself an astonishing figure, and well worth discovery. An online search yields numerous books by A. F. C., which are also available for download.

December 3, 2010 at 7:48 pm
(9) Lisa says:

It seems that old A. F. wrote a “The Boy Scientist” too – that makes three different books by this title. Monterey Ca public library and a few others have copies…

February 11, 2011 at 4:05 pm
(10) Pablo Esteves says:

Too dangerous? Perhaps boys more mature and responsible in 1924 than now.

May 27, 2011 at 10:03 am
(11) alireza nouroozi says:

hi.it is excellent.thank you.

June 6, 2011 at 9:38 am
(12) sergeant says:

I have a copy of The Boy Electrician . Very informative for a boy . Good series of books .

September 26, 2011 at 1:19 pm
(13) Vince Gutschick says:

Having “The Boy Chemist” available as a PDF is fantastic. This book started me on my long career as a chemist, then chemical physicist, then biologist. Starting at age 8, I used to check it out from the Berwyn, IL public library, and, at that age, I decided to become a chemist. I did so, getting a B.S. at Notre Dame and a Ph. D. at Caltech, then going on to a long and rewarding career at several institutions. I went looking for this book from used-book resellers, but there are two online services that bid up the prices on many books to outrageous levels. The Library of Congress has a copy…if you can get there physically to the Jefferson or Adams reading rooms. Now I can recreate my near house-burnings; amazing I still have my sight and lungs also, but it was worth it! I can share this, with caution, with the young students at our relatively new non-profit private school (lascrucesacademy dot org). Many thanks for tracking this down!

January 1, 2012 at 2:08 am
(14) yakin says:

thanks for providing me such a great knowledge and information and wish u happy new year

April 25, 2012 at 4:36 am
(15) ahmed says:

nice and very good

May 27, 2012 at 2:41 am
(16) sina says:

it is excellent.thank you.

February 21, 2014 at 2:12 am
(17) V R Sheelavant says:

Thank you very much for suggesting ” Buy chemist”