1. Education

Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.

Where To Buy Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate

By February 8, 2014

Blue crystal of copper sulfate pentahydrate. (Anne Helmenstine)Copper sulfate pentahydrate (also known as copper sulphate pentahydrate or simply copper sulfate or copper sulphate) is the chemical used to grow bright blue copper sulfate crystals. It's easy to find online, but there are shopping restrictions to some locations, plus the weight of the chemical typically makes shipping comparable to the price of the chemical. Fortunately, copper sulfate is a useful chemical that you may be able to find in a store... if you know where to look.

I found copper sulfate at Home Depot as Zep Root Killer, which is labeled as copper sulfate pentahydrate and is sold with septic tank and drain cleaning chemicals (not with other garden root killers or with other plumbing chemicals). Less commonly, you can find copper sulfate granules sold as an algicide for ponds. Ask for an algicide solid or powder and make certain the product is labeled as copper sulfate or copper sulfate pentahydrate.

Comments

December 12, 2010 at 8:00 pm
(1) Mark says:

Nice blog Anne…:) Just curious, did you use the CSP to grow that fine looking crystal in the picture. You know, you could probably sell that as a piece of jewelry. Now there’s a way to make money with chemistry…:)

It’s crazy how many chemicals are available freely.

Mark

January 21, 2011 at 12:33 pm
(2) Lanthanum says:

It won’t be good for jewelry because it cannot be washed with water without ruining it. It also will get ruined in a rainstorm. Copper sulfate 5 H2O loses water upon standing as well.

January 21, 2011 at 12:53 pm
(3) chemistry says:

The crystal could be sealed against water loss.

January 25, 2011 at 1:01 am
(4) Shirley says:

Dear madam,
I’m glad to here that you’re on the market for cooper sulfate.I’m the manufacture of chemical material,specializing in cooper sulfate,titanium dioxide etc.I’m looking forward to cooperate with your company,we can give you the competitive price and the best quality.

Best Regards
Shirley

October 5, 2011 at 10:34 am
(5) Copper Sulphate Info says:

Love the article Anne. I have bookmarked the site and I look forward to reading more articles in the future :)

October 5, 2011 at 10:41 am
(6) Copper Sulphate Info says:

Great article, I hope to read more from you in the future.

May 11, 2012 at 4:32 pm
(7) Stephanie says:

Will Chelated Copper Sulfate work. I believe the answer is no but I thought I would ask and hopefully the answer will help someone out someday.

July 5, 2012 at 7:18 am
(8) Adrian says:

Excellent… I was looking for a source of CuSO4 so I could try my hand at a DIY electroplating experiment. Growing crystals looks like fun to.

July 19, 2012 at 7:46 pm
(9) joe says:

thanks everybody. we got a large lake water in eastern china with millions of tons of blue algae which need to be rid of. pls tell me the best way. if we need to use chemicals, where and from whom can we buy? any problem to ship them to china and go through the customs?
any certification problem? thanks. joe

August 26, 2012 at 8:16 am
(10) chuck says:

Mark

There are lots of chemicals freely available such as nitrogen and oxygen and carbon dioxide in the air, urea in your urine, water in rain, and even some nice poisons like botulinum toxin, cyanogenic glycosides in lots of plants including apples and cherries (they produce hydrogen cyanide), oxalic acid in rhubarb, and ricin in the castor oil plant. Of course you also get nicotine, THC, morphine, and salicylic acid from plants as well.

Chad

April 28, 2013 at 5:44 pm
(11) carol white says:

i read that i can use copper sulphate mixed with hydrated lime and water to kill the infected (canker) areas on fruit trees. Is this possible?

May 5, 2013 at 7:02 pm
(12) Michael says:

Hi I would like to rid the side of my house from a vine that has grown so close to the wall and chimney that it seems to be part of them. I cut the base as close to the ground as I could. One foot high, it is tucked in between the chimney the basement wall and the Central Air unit. How can I stop the growth completely?
Do I just drill a hole in the remaining trunk and pour in the cooper sulfate?

Thank you. Michael

June 30, 2013 at 9:17 pm
(13) Tina says:

Thank you for this information, I plan on soaking my feet in copper sulfate to ride my toe nails of fungus.

August 27, 2013 at 4:47 am
(14) jury a magbanua says:

mam as i search to internet about CSP i read ur article and you ve got a knowldege ab’t CSP. i would just like to ask if this csp cost expensive because we are needing this substance in our class activity and we dont have it in school and for the sake of my class i will be the one to handle the buying of this substance.

October 18, 2013 at 12:24 pm
(15) Thomas kian says:

Cool i’m going to do this for my science project for the school science fair.

October 18, 2013 at 12:28 pm
(16) Thomas says:

Cool crystals !!!! :)

November 13, 2013 at 10:22 am
(17) Austin Sweetnam says:

I’m pretty sure the correct spelling of the word “algicide” is “algaecide”

January 18, 2014 at 1:24 pm
(18) winkyduck says:

Used this stuff to kill my nieghbours tree that was affecting my satellite dish signal.stuff works like a charm and nieghbour keeps telling me he can’t figure out why his tree died..lol