1. Education

Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.

Difference Between Double-Acting and Single-Acting Baking Powder

By December 23, 2013

Cupcakes use baking powder to rise. (Lara Hata)If you're like me, you're lucky to pay attention to a recipe enough to notice whether you're supposed to be using baking powder or baking soda. Both ingredients cause baked goods to rise, but they are not interchangeable. Also, there is more than one type of baking powder. You can find single-acting baking powder and double-acting baking powder. You may be wondering how they are different or whether you should use half as much double-acting baking powder as single-acting baking powder.

You use the exactly same amount of double-acting baking powder as you would single-acting baking powder. The difference between the two types of powder is their chemical composition and whether they produce the carbon dioxide gas bubbles that make your baked goods rise when the ingredients are mixed or when the product is heated in the oven. Both types of baking powder produce the same amount of gas, so they are equally effective as leavening agents.

Single-acting baking powder reacts with a water-based ingredient to form bubbles as soon as the ingredients are mixed. If you wait too long to bake your food or mix it too long these bubbles will escape and your food will fall flat.

Double-acting baking powder produces some bubbles when the ingredients are mixed, but most of the rising occurs once heat is applied. This product is more reliable for home baking because it is harder to overbeat the ingredients and the recipe is less susceptible to fail if you forgot to preheat your oven. Because it is practically failsafe, this is the type of baking powder most often found in stores. You'll encounter single-acting baking powder in commercial applications, plus this is the type of powder you would make if you prepare baking powder yourself.

Baking Powder Versus Baking Soda | Ingredient Substitutions

Comments

January 10, 2013 at 8:57 pm
(1) Sam Chang says:

Single acting baking powder isn’t always fast acting. There are also oven rise single acting baking powder.

February 18, 2013 at 1:48 pm
(2) Shirley Gibson says:

Wanting to use a 19th century cake recipe, I wondered if I should use less double acting baking powder ( just as you said I would!), and not hoping for much I Googled for information, and here you were! Thank you so much – I will use the same amount of the double acting powder as the old recipe calls for.

October 17, 2013 at 12:11 pm
(3) Sandy Jones says:

HELP!!! I have been having a terrible problem with a very old banana cake recipe that I have. The recipe has been in my family and is probably 100 years old. Whenever I make it it bubbles up and overflows the pans. I wondered if it was the amount of baking soda and baking powder. There is 1.5 tsp of baking soda and 1 TABLESPOON of baking powder. I made it again today and it overflowed the pans. My mom never had this problem. I saw today that I have double acting baking powder. I wonder if I should cut the baking powder in half. There is clearly a problem. This is the only recipe that I have this problem with.

October 28, 2013 at 7:26 am
(4) Amazed Shaerrel says:

In a recipe I haven’t tried, it says that I would need to use double acting but I don’t have one, so can I use just the single actin one?

November 16, 2013 at 8:11 am
(5) srk says:

WHAT IF I DINT HAVE BAKING SODA .. ONLY BAKING POWDER DOUBLE ACTING WOULD BE ENOUGH??

December 23, 2013 at 3:10 am
(6) kimberly says:

Any different between baking powder and double baking acting powder?