Halloween is my favorite holiday, so I've been carving pumpkins since they first appeared in the stores. It used to be multiple generations of carved jack o lanterns would shrivel and mold into slime on my porch before Halloween, but now one set lasts the whole season. This is due partly to postponing the carving until October (use the glow in the dark pumpkin
if you want a pumpkin that lasts several months) and partly from judicious application of homemade pumpkin preservatives:
More Carved Pumpkin Preservation Tips
- Mix up a preservative solution for your carved pumpkin consisting of 2 teaspoons of bleach per gallon of water.
- Fill a sink, bucket, or tub with enough of the bleach solution to totally immerse the carved jack o lantern. Place the jack o lantern in the bleach mixture right after you have finished carving it. Soak the carved pumpkin for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove the pumpkin from the liquid and allow it to air dry. Spray the pumpkin inside and outside with a commercial pumpkin preservative or use your own mixture, consisting of 1 teaspoon of bleach in water. Spray the pumpkin once daily, to prevent the growth of bacteria and mold.
- Smear petroleum jelly on all of the cut surfaces of the pumpkin. This will prevent the pumpkin from drying out and getting that puckered look.
- Protect the jack o lantern from sun or rain, since one will dry the pumpkin out, while the other will promote the growth of mold. If possible, refrigerate your jack o lantern when it's not in use.