1. Education

The stomach produces hydrochloric acid to aid in digestion. (National Cancer Institute)Your stomach secretes hydrochloric acid, but the pH of your stomach isn't necessarily the same as the pH of the acid! The pH of your stomach varies, from 1-2 up to 4-5. When you eat, the stomach releases proteases and hydrochloric acid to aid in digestion. By itself, the acid doesn't really do much for digestion, but the proteases that cleave proteins work best in an acidic environment or low pH, so after a high-protein meal, your stomach pH may drop to as low as 1 or 2. However, buffers quickly raise the pH back to 3 or 4. After the meal has been digested, your stomach pH returns to a resting level of about 4 or 5. Your stomach secretes acid in response to food, so first thing in the morning you can expect a slightly acidic stomach pH, but not an acidic level representative of pure hydrochloric acid.

How To Calculate pH | pH of Common Chemicals

Comments

May 18, 2012 at 10:51 am
(1) pritee says:

It is very interesting to know about our stomach. I like it.

September 11, 2012 at 8:40 pm
(2) Badrita says:

Thanks a lot.

September 12, 2012 at 3:32 am
(3) chris says:

What are your thoughts on Alkaline water? Would it just neutralize in the stomach thus losing all benefits it claims to have?

October 17, 2012 at 3:32 pm
(4) nance says:

i hope this is right its going on my bio lab

October 29, 2012 at 12:51 am
(5) Terry says:

thanx i really needed to knw this stuff before my exam

November 22, 2012 at 8:00 pm
(6) Bree says:

thanks it really helped my assignment

January 2, 2013 at 7:28 am
(7) Sofie says:

Thanks a lot. It is amazing that the pH can vary that much. Happy new year to you all!

January 21, 2013 at 11:33 am
(8) Jeffrey says:

Thanks,it really helped me finish my assignment. Happy val.

January 30, 2013 at 8:54 pm
(9) Patt says:

If I have been diagnosed with Barretts esophagus does that necessarily mean that I have too much acid in my stomach? I was told to take Nexium but after awhile is gave me a pain (not burning but pressure) in the middle of my chest and I stopped taking it and the pain went away. I have a hard time digesting meats or fatty meals. Could this mean I have low stomach acid?
Thank you for any information that may help me.

February 13, 2013 at 10:42 am
(10) Barbara says:

My husband was diagnosed with Barrett’s in 2010. In the last 2 months, he has suffered enormous reflux, epigastic pain. He has been on a PPI, Prilosec, for years. He just had a repeat endoscopy. We are waiting for official results. Pics look better than those from 2010. He has tremendous gas. We have researched this to the nth degree. So far, he had laid off all gluten, is taking probiotics, experimenting with apple cider vinegar for low acid. Since his endoscopy, with the biopsies, acid irritates them. However, we want to do that before purchasing betaine hcl with pepsin. Some days, issues seems resolved, other days not so much. We are researching leaky gut syndrome and the relationship of these symptoms with the gallbladder. All we have read about PPIs are scary. Seems like the docs and the pharma companies have a pact to dispense, without regard to longterm health or wellbeing.

February 19, 2013 at 9:17 am
(11) Eberinwa Chidimma says:

It really widened my knowledge. I appreciate

March 28, 2013 at 3:30 am
(12) vhutshilo master-v says:

hey so interesting

April 10, 2013 at 2:33 pm
(13) Brian says:

Barrett’s esophagus, despite the “conventional (medical) wisdom” is NOT a sign that you have too much acid in your stomach. It is, however, an indication that your stomach acid could be refluxing (backing up) into the base of the esophagus just before it empties into the stomach through the pyloric valve.

When we take a drug that reduces stomach acid in an attempt to alleviate acid reflux or GERD or Barrett’s esophagus, the ability of the stomach to do its job (part of the digestion process) is interrupted. When this happens the rest of the digestive tract (the various regions of the small intestine and the large intestine are not able to fully do their job, which is the finishing of digestion and absorption of nutrition.

When this happens, the only-partially-digested food can putrefy in the remainder of the gut instead of being fully digested, thus causing gas and diminished nutrition.

A better approach is to try to figure out why the pyloric valve is not being effective at restricting the “upstream” movement of stomach acids, thus causing “digestion” and subsequent dysplasia of the base of the esophagus, referred to as Barrett’s esophagus.

It’s all adaptation, folks! The body is great at adapting. Unfortunately, we generally don’t address the causes of the adaptation, instead trying to “treat” the resulting pathology.

April 22, 2013 at 7:59 am
(14) Basanta says:

Thanks a lot for the nice information.

April 27, 2013 at 9:18 am
(15) Rakesh shakeyawal says:

it’s very important to know the ph of stomach by guidance of our principle sir so thanks for it.

May 9, 2013 at 10:49 am
(16) josh says:

it was very good info thanks alot

May 10, 2013 at 9:16 pm
(17) ahmed says:

everything i eat hurts me i figured i had too much acid build up i drink few cups of vodka after meals the pain goes away

May 11, 2013 at 5:34 am
(18) Ahung says:

Thats realy interestin n what are d main complicated disease of excees acid secretion.

June 9, 2013 at 8:06 am
(19) pawan dahal says:

But what really happens according to the nature of food on gastric enviroment.?…i want to know if ph increase or decrease.

August 1, 2013 at 10:37 am
(20) Suhail says:

Thankl a lot!

September 14, 2013 at 2:59 pm
(21) DeAnn says:

Is there a way to increase the acid that our bodies produce? I currently take a supplement, but don’t want to have to forever. I had tons of allergic responses to foods that I can now eat with the supplement. Any advice or info? Thanks

September 21, 2013 at 11:59 pm
(22) anne says:

i hope i got a correct answer in my assignment for your info.tnx

April 22, 2014 at 11:39 am
(23) Ravindra Singh says:

thanks for it information

May 4, 2014 at 10:19 am
(24) sukanya says:

Thanksa lot it’s really help me..:) :)