1. Education

It's a common perception that taking multivitamins can make you gain weight. At least part of the effect could be due to the presence of zinc in vitamins. Zinc is an element which is essential for human nutrition. The body uses it to support the immune system, among other things, and it gets depleted during times of physical or emotional stress. People and animals deficient in zinc need to eat about twice as much food to gain the same weight as non-deficient members of their species. Therefore, if you are zinc-deficient and start taking vitamins, you could see a weight gain. Does that mean you should avoid zinc to lose weight faster while dieting? Not unless you want to get sick!
Zinc Facts | Periodic Table

Comments

January 25, 2010 at 3:16 pm
(1) Grace says:

But what about too much zinc causing hyperthyroidism? That wouldn’t make you gain weight??
Anyway don’t try to be zinc deficient cause you will likely get acne.

September 3, 2010 at 4:49 pm
(2) Suz says:

I have had the opposite experience. Adding extra zinc with meals has made it so that I CAN lose weight. My appetite is decreased and my body is shrinking. It’s awesome! And it is the first thing to really, really work for me in years.

Here are some studies to look at. You may want to reconsider your position on zinc.

November 19, 2011 at 10:52 pm
(3) Tom Thomas BScN says:

I know this thread is old, but I also wanted to add that Zinc supplementation is also linked to increased testosterone in men, which in turn is linked to increased lean muscle mass, and decreased fat.

April 6, 2011 at 12:02 pm
(4) Julia says:

I had an extreme zinc deficiency due to a copper toxicity and also lots of stress. This cause me to struggle with hypoglycemia in which I produced to much insulin and I started putting on the pounds (especially in my gut)! Following the advice of a naturopath, I now take about 200 mgs of zinc/day and my sugar levels are balancing and my weight is falling off. Hurray! I feel so much better. So I agree that good health should always be the goal. (And good weight usually follows good health.)

January 3, 2012 at 9:29 am
(5) vanessa says:

My physician advised that I take zinc supplements to help me gain more weight as I am underweight. How will it help me gain weight if it made many of you lose it? Please help.

January 20, 2012 at 1:08 pm
(6) amanda says:

Zinc can make you gain weight because it helps to build muscle. Zinc and magnesium taken before bed on an empty stomach increases HGH which burns fat and builds muscle.

June 30, 2012 at 5:20 pm
(7) Susan says:

It’s a common perception that taking multivitamins can make you gain weight. At least part of the effect could be due to the presence of zinc in vitamins. Zinc is an element which is essential for human nutrition. The body uses it to support the immune system, among other things, and it gets depleted during times of physical or emotional stress. People and animals deficient in zinc need to eat about twice as much food to gain the same weight as non-deficient members of their species. Therefore, if you are zinc-deficient and start taking vitamins, you could see a weight gain. Does that mean you should avoid zinc to lose weight faster while dieting? Not unless you want to get sick!

: ummm from your argument..you are basically saying that the lack of zinc makes you eat more to let your body feel nutritionally sound, so in fact ADDING zinc, would satisfy your body’s need and therefore make you eat less therefore making you lose weight..

September 21, 2012 at 12:35 am
(8) Anonymous says:

Agreed, any more than about 10mg/day zinc causes my serum zinc level to be much too high.

July 23, 2013 at 12:02 am
(9) ZACK says:

Im taking zinc from gnc30mg rda d ve increase 2kg (73kg-75kg) lolz

August 29, 2013 at 10:48 pm
(10) Patty says:

200 mgs a day seems unusual. Would like to hear from Julia that posted above.

I have lost taste and smell the past 4 years. Many health issues have come and gone. Trying zinc,magnesium and B6 at bedtime for 2 weeks now.

Improved sleep
Improved heels. I fought with deep cracks in heels that were becoming painful and was sloughing & doing the thick creams and socks. 2 weeks and cracks are gone.

Concerned about any weight gain but we will see.

October 18, 2013 at 9:45 pm
(11) jenifer says:

zinc contained in semen along with the help of tantalic acid will increase weight loss by 200% along with fat burning of up to 2 inches a week. taken orally at least once a week the weight loss is from 8 to 10 pounds on a four week period

February 5, 2014 at 10:13 am
(12) Lyn says:

Jenifer what zinc product did you use to lose the weight