Oxygen is one of those elements you simply can't live without. You find it in the air your breathe, the water you drink, and the food you eat. Here are some quick facts about this important element. You can find more detailed information about oxygen on the oxygen facts
- Animals and plants require oxygen for respiration.
- Oxygen gas is colorless, odorless, and tasteless.
- Liquid and solid oxygen are pale blue.
- Oxygen is a non-metal.
- Oxygen gas normally is the divalent molecule O2. Ozone, O3, is another form of pure oxygen.
- Oxygen supports combustion.
- Oxygen is paramagnetic.
- Approximately 2/3 of the mass of the human body is oxygen.
- Excited oxygen is responsible for the bright red and yellow-green colors of the aurora.
- Oxygen was the atomic weight standard for the other elements until 1961 when it was replaced by carbon 12.