1. Education

Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.

Download the Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments

By October 1, 2012

The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments, written by Robert Brent and illustrated by Harry Lazarus, is a 1960s children's book that tells kids how they can set up a home chemistry lab to conduct simple chemistry experiments. Supposedly the US government had the book removed from libraries and banned for sale on the grounds that the projects were too dangerous for kids. I don't know whether the banned-book story is true or not, but The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments remains one of the best do-it-yourself chemistry experiment books around. This book is now available to the public. You can download the pdf of The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments to save on your computer, print, or distribute.

Download "The Boy Chemist" | Find Home Experiments

Comments

December 18, 2009 at 2:09 pm
(1) Roberto Ortiz says:

Great. Congratulations for having had this great idea: show simple experiments for students.
thank you.

December 20, 2009 at 6:54 pm
(2) Allan says:

I actually had a copy of this awesome book when I was a kid. I still have it but with both covers fallen off. I was a Chemistry Olympiad semi-finalist so I must have learned something from the book! :)

March 12, 2010 at 7:44 am
(3) joice says:

este livro perfeito

obrigada por disponibiliza-lo

November 30, 2010 at 8:17 am
(4) PRABHU says:

I am a chemistry student… this book is useful one for us… thank you for this help…
best of luck

December 2, 2010 at 10:33 am
(5) Lanthanum Kraska says:

Nice group of chemistry experiments–too bad they don’t have things like that in modern chemistry sets.

April 25, 2011 at 9:19 am
(6) lovejuer says:

Thank you very much!

June 11, 2011 at 4:08 am
(7) belen says:

Wonderful book for beginners in Chemistry. I am sure students would gain a lot from this magnificent, comprehensible book! best of luck!

September 18, 2011 at 12:04 pm
(8) sue ellen says:

Links offff!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please, i need this book!!!!!!!

February 5, 2012 at 6:16 am
(9) Lady F. says:

Wow thanks! This book is very useful to me.

March 12, 2012 at 1:58 pm
(10) chemistry experiments says:

this is really nice book thank you

i will never forget this book

April 9, 2012 at 3:23 pm
(11) Cincinnati Silver Buyers says:

Whats up very nice blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .. I will bookmark your site and take the feeds also?I am glad to seek out a lot of helpful info right here in the publish, we need work out extra strategies on this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

April 30, 2012 at 8:59 am
(12) Linda says:

Do not use an alcohol lamp ever. Microburners work much better and are safer. I do not see any safety guidelines in my cursory preview. Chemical splash GOGGLES! Chemical splash GOGGLES! Chemical splash GOGGLES!

April 30, 2012 at 3:10 pm
(13) raju says:

Thank you very much!

May 8, 2012 at 3:23 am
(14) mich says:

im so thankful for this newsletter sent to me. i hope u can also suggest lesson plans for teachers. thank a lot. i would be a great help.

August 9, 2012 at 4:53 am
(15) JJ says:

It’s true. sometime between 1965 and 1967 (can’t be sure anymore) I returned this book to our local library. When I went back the following week, I was told that it was no longer available, that the government had banned it and ordered removed from the shelves.

My first encounter with censorship in the land of the ‘free’.

September 4, 2012 at 3:59 am
(16) tanin says:

The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments was very great i translated it and i want to public it

October 2, 2012 at 9:53 am
(17) Geoffrey Byamukama says:

Having a wise lady like Anne is like having a Living.
I love you Anne. You are just a Parent.

October 2, 2012 at 9:56 am
(18) Geoffrey Byamukama says:

If peoples ask me why I love Anne, I tell them that she is my Mam where my real mam is absent. She is my sister for what shes does to me my sister can’t do it to me. She is my Aunt for the love she shoes me even when we are not together I am able to feel it.

I really love you Anne.

October 7, 2012 at 2:55 pm
(19) auenone says:

Thank you veryyyyyy much. I had almost every golden book and either I let or didn’t know my little sister used her crayons to decorate them. Thinking of doing a self taught chemistry course with a little help from the internet and algebra and geometry dummy books (refresher) for the math. Thanks again!!

October 9, 2012 at 2:08 am
(20) Mahendra says:

Thanks to avial the good simple books, to see the actual chemistry around us, through simple experiments.

November 1, 2012 at 12:39 pm
(21) SHERYL says:

I had this book when I was a child and I kept it until recently. I used many of the experiments in my classes. Thank you, I will order another and I also Thank my parents. Sheryl

January 2, 2013 at 6:53 am
(22) vignesh says:

wow super,…. i did saw this kind of books its very awasome

March 4, 2013 at 2:43 pm
(23) David Whitcombe says:

When I was growing up in the 70s, I had this book, and a PhD chemical engineer for a father. Somewhere in a family photo album, there’s a picture of a 12 year old me holding a hydrogen balloon on the end of a string that I made in the garage. I did almost every experiment in the book except for those involving chlorine or hydrogen sulfide gasses. Thanks for bringing back some great memories.

April 6, 2013 at 6:51 am
(24) Changez Baloch says:

Wow Awesome Book

May 31, 2013 at 5:56 pm
(25) Dr. George Bailey says:

I had this book in the 60′s. It inspired me to major in chemistry in college.

A Ph.D. and 20 years of University teaching later, I’m glad to see this book available again for future scientists.

Adult supervision is STRONGLY recommended (although I obviously survived my childhood without it ;-)

August 22, 2013 at 2:24 pm
(26) Stewart says:

You can get the book in EPUB/Mobi (Kindle) as well as PDF and other formats at this address: http://archive.org/details/GoldenBookOfChemistryExperiments

November 8, 2013 at 9:16 pm
(27) Linda says:

Thank You!!!!

January 3, 2014 at 8:10 am
(28) Michael Robert Jackson says:

Faraday’s candle experiment is still a great way to introduce science at high school level. Inspirational.

January 3, 2014 at 9:10 am
(29) ωαΓαΗατ κΗαΝ says:

Thanku very much tHis bOok iS aSwm