1. Education

Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.

How Many Bananas Does It Take to Poison You?

By February 20, 2011

Bananas contain potassium. (mconnors, morguefile.com)You probably know too much water and too many apple or cherry seeds can kill you, but did you know eating too many bananas may lead to an early demise? It's not their high radiation signature. It's because bananas contain potassium. But wait, you may be saying, isn't potassium good for me? It is, but like everything else, too much potassium is bad for you. Too much potassium can lead to heart damage and cardiac arrest. I was reminded of that when reading about an upcoming attempt to set a new world record for eating bananas. Apparently the world record effort has been scaled back so that it involves more people eating bananas and not people eating as many bananas as possible. The reason for the change was to prevent health problems or death from over-eating bananas. I couldn't help but wonder exactly how many bananas you would have to eat in order to ingest a dangerous amount of potassium. I mean... what are we talking about here? Three bananas? Ten? I have a friend who ate 7 bananas as part of some weird man-challenge. He isn't dead and didn't go into cardiac arrest, but he assures me that is nearing the upper limit of banana-eating. How many bananas do you think it takes to poison you with potassium?

Comments

February 19, 2009 at 11:17 am
(1) Meri says:

I, as a banana lover since childhood, often eat as many as I buy, which is usually 5 or more during an evening. And I suppose that I HAVE eaten more, and yet no noticable damage has ever occured.

Judging by the information given at whfoods.org (a site I do trust) an average banana has 13.4% of the recommended daily amount of potassium, so 7-8 bananas, if you don’t eat any other foods that are rich in potassium, seems to be the daily norm potassium-wise. Maybe all is not that dangerous

February 19, 2009 at 11:17 am
(2) JOhn says:

Great question!

Here’s what I found on the subject: “The normal level of potassium in the bloodstream is in the range of 3.5-5.0 mM, while levels of 6.3-8.0 mM (severe hyperkalemia) result in cardiac arrhythmias or even death due to cardiac arrest. Potassium is potentially quite toxic, however toxicity or death due to potassium poisoning is usually prevented because of the vomiting reflex. The consumption of food results in mild increases in the concentration of potassium in the bloodstream, but levels of potassium do not become toxic because of the uptake of potassium by various cells of the body, as well as by the action of the kidneys transferring the potassium ions from the blood to the urine. The body’s regulatory mechanisms can easily be overwhelmed, however, when potassium chloride is injected intravenously, as high doses of injected potassium can easily result in death.” (Source: http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/mineral_toxicity.jsp)

Knowing that, it seems like one could calculate how many bananas would need to be eaten to get that level of potassium in the blood. I’m assuming this is where calculus (ack!) would come in: Let’s say it takes 100 bananas for easy math. By the time you get to the 50th banana, maybe the potassium from the first five bananas has already finished its “tour” in the bloodstream and you know have to eat five more. You may never catch up!

February 19, 2009 at 5:38 pm
(3) Tomato Addict says:
February 21, 2009 at 6:14 am
(4) eldie etuk says:

as a banana lover i would advice that we eat as much as we like but that doesnt mean that we should eat a whole bunch.it will really break my heart to hear that someone died of banana intoxication.too much of everything is not good,i hope we do know that so let us make the very best choices.go go banana!

February 23, 2009 at 7:39 am
(5) nuel.. says:

Its very impossiblel for one to say a three banana can kill, i can eat up to seven every evening an you still see me in good health.
so stop the rumours………………..

February 23, 2009 at 7:40 am
(6) nuel.. says:

Its very impossible for one to say a three banana can kill, i can eat up to seven every evening an you still see me in good health.
so stop the rumours………………..

February 23, 2009 at 9:33 am
(7) Bob S says:

Bananas are rich in vaso active amines – particularly when they are green. Is it possible that this is the origin of their reputed toxicity?

February 23, 2009 at 12:23 pm
(8) LYNNS says:

BANANAS ARE’NT POISONOUS ORIGINALLY but like the saying goes, too much of everything they say is bad, so why eat up a bunch full for any reason of sort………..my candid advice is lets take everything in moderate quantity., say about 5 banana is ok daily!

February 23, 2009 at 9:33 pm
(9) Don Dewsnap says:

*creak* I think these youth today *hack* should appreciate their *kaff* deity-given bodies and not pollute themselves with *ack* poisons like bananas. *gasp* Stick to normal pleasures like tobacco. Say no to bananas! *rattle*

February 24, 2009 at 2:40 am
(10) Ehsan says:

It is very strange i must say to read that eating too many bananas can kill you.Does any case is noted or not.If yes then please tell me about this

May 4, 2011 at 8:55 pm
(11) Sam says:

Well, I have pseudohypoaldestronism Type 2, and if I have wayyy too many bananas or anything with too much potassium I can get very ill. The end result can easily be a heart attack because my blood pressure could easily get out of control.. I am taking hydrochlorothrozide which, well duh, lowers my blood pressure.. Yep, very strange…

February 24, 2009 at 5:33 am
(12) Shimelis says:

I usually eat 3-5 bannanas at a time.I know friends who eat 7-10 bannanas at a time and nothing dangerous happend to them.Still they are in good health.I wold like to know howmuch bannana is dangerous.How much Potassium is found in one bannana (averege)? I think the concentration of K depends on the mass and varity of bannana.

March 27, 2011 at 9:59 pm
(13) Raj Sharma says:

My blood pressure had started going up-150/110. I started taking 7 bananas and 3 plums everyday. In three weeks my BP came down to 120/80. Of course I did other things like cutting down drastically on salt, saturated fats etc.

February 24, 2009 at 12:56 pm
(14) Penny says:

I always had a banana for breakfast and I was a heavy smoker and I was in a rush and I found out that way that bananas are not entirely good for your heart because my heart was racing and I just didn’t feel very healthy. I stopped eating bananas after my morning cigarette soon after and felt alot better. I was just reading bananas are supposed to be good for your if you want to quit smoking but I disagree after that. I don’t smoke anymore and eat a balanced diet so problem solved there.

June 28, 2011 at 4:00 pm
(15) aaa says:

Um…maybe it was your cigarette smoking and you being in a rush that had your heart racing?…..

October 22, 2011 at 1:58 pm
(16) wabababing says:

what have you been told
using common sense is dangerous
why blame the unhealthy lifestyle when you can blame the healthy foods

February 24, 2009 at 9:39 pm
(17) susan says:

I highly doubt that bananas are toxic. I am even wondering whether you are talking about something different:may be strange species of banana! You never know, but from the snap am seeing, it is the usual banana i have consumed ever since i was weaned. Bananas are ma staple food. We eat bananas from Jan to Dec year after year; but i have never even heard of any single complaint due to bananas. We have different species: food (meals), snacks, juice or local brew, fruit to mention but a few. I have never heard of anyone in ma home area grumbling, and i do not expect to hear that in the near future!

March 11, 2009 at 1:41 pm
(18) Heather says:

PEOPLE do not realize that the body needs 4,500 of potassium a day which many of us are lucky if we get 1,000 a day a lack of potassium can cause so many health problems mostly heart and muscle diseas. Yogurt has PO in it as well as fruits like bannanas strawberries and tuna fish. I would think its impossible to get too much of this. I would look on the back of lables and see how much it has in it. Another inportant vitamin is magneesium that too is hard to get enough of in 24 hours.

March 11, 2009 at 1:43 pm
(19) Rob says:

A person can eat up to 8 bannanas a day and be ok no harm done. as long as you don’t get other potassium foods.

August 21, 2011 at 7:03 am
(20) rahul says:

I eat,on an average,25-30 bananas a day with about a dozen at a time.I have had no heart problems.There is no such thing as “too many bananas” .Banana is a primal food,you can eat as many till you feel satisfied.

May 19, 2009 at 12:27 am
(21) Karlin says:

A average-size banana contains 500 mg. of potassium; If we need 5000 mgs per day, then about 10 would be ideal if that is our only PO source. But you never get caught up, as #2 explained; bananas are wonderfull food, one of few that a person can eat only that and survive.

So 10 WON’T kill you, but the question was how many does it take to kill you?

IT ONLY TAKES ONE. The Tomato Addict said so.

and then…
and then…
and then…
YOU GO BANANAS!!

September 26, 2011 at 12:04 pm
(22) Kate says:

oh god i know some poeple who have about 100 bananas in a day

July 26, 2009 at 8:59 am
(23) Les says:

maybe the banana u are talking about is a special one?

July 26, 2009 at 9:09 am
(24) Lynn says:

No bananas wont kill my favourite fruit is bananas u noe?>T_T

July 26, 2009 at 9:11 am
(25) Emox3girl says:

if bananas overeating can kill i suppose every over eating of fruits can kill too? if not it is not fair> T_T

August 5, 2009 at 4:30 am
(26) richard murphy says:

you can live on bananas. the bbc did an experiment, chlesterol dropped 23%, the volunteers were happier, blood pressure dropped massively…

our nearest biological and genetic cousins live on them. my friend ate nothing other than bananas for 5 weeks, i’ve never seen him look so healthy and radiant.

August 14, 2009 at 1:23 pm
(27) Bandana says:

I can’t find any records of anyone ever being killed by eating a banana except from a heart attack caused by choking on a banana or by slipping on a banana peel. Water can rid you of the excess dietary potassium. If you have diabetes, however, the high level of blood sugar from to many bananas can eventually destroy your capillaries and kill you.

September 11, 2009 at 11:41 am
(28) jeremy says:

since i was a child i have loved bananas, though now i cant eat them due to my acid reflux. im not sure exactly why they hurt my esophagus, but every time i eat them, it gets very painful.

before they started bothering me, however, i would eat at least 4 a day, most of the time more. i have eaten 15 in one day (but that was not in one sitting, it was throughout about 10 hours), and i am mostly fine. i think as long as you drink a lot of water you would be ok.

November 17, 2009 at 5:27 pm
(29) Mr.HavingA- DumbDay says:

I had badly cooked white beans today, was feeling a little nauseous, i didn’t know about how bad that was. And when my friend came over he brought a banana, which i ate since it usually makes me feel great. This combination however seemed to throw me over the edge. Puked violently for the second time in 10 years, so im usually either quite healthy or just have a strong stomach, i don’t know. What i can confirm from this experience is the banana really pushed me over the edge :p and that my friends has puked before from eating 5 bananas (fresh thai bananas). I must also note – there are loads of types of bananas which whatever researcher should acknowledge…i don’t know the different types myself sorry…

November 26, 2009 at 3:25 am
(30) mons says:

i dont accept that banana’s are killers . you would have heard a proverb that “TOO MUCH OF ANY THING IS GOOD FOR NOTHING” .This message is like that .

January 19, 2010 at 10:59 pm
(31) nolan says:

Love,
Nolan

October 24, 2011 at 9:40 pm
(32) bob says:

nice math, but it would actually take 380 according to your findings (500mg = 1/2 gram)

January 26, 2010 at 11:10 am
(33) Adam E says:

I had a banana and it nearly killed me wiht potaisuim poison

April 15, 2011 at 11:32 am
(34) Joyce S. says:

Okay, whatever! One banana can NOT give you potassium poisoning!

Bananas in general can’t hurt anyone (unless you’re allergic to them), but too much potassium can. Like Nolan wrote; “It takes 190g of oral potassium to kill a 165lb person. If each banana contains approximately 500mg, that means that person would have to eat 95 bananas to cause cardiac arrest.”

So, eat your bananas, and stop worrying!

June 27, 2011 at 9:04 am
(35) JJ says:

Yeah me 2 lol

February 22, 2010 at 11:20 am
(36) Derek says:

My best friend’s ex-girlfriend is a strict vegetarian and used to eat lots of bananas every day, she ended up with Potassium poisoning
So yes it does happen, I imagine she had been eating a lot of them for a long time before it got to that dangerous level
The diagnosis was made by a Doctor who recommended she cut down on the bananas and she’s been fine ever since

March 10, 2010 at 4:49 pm
(37) Patrick says:

Table 9.2 Safe upper level (or guidance level) and effect of excess for selected metals.
Metal Safe upper level per day/mg (adult) Problem
potassium * (3700) stomach pain, nausea, diarrhoea
sodium * (2300) increased blood pressure (hypertension) increasing risk of heart attack or strokes
calcium * (1500) stomach pain, diarrhoea, kidney stones, milk alkali syndrome
magnesium * (400) diarrhoea
iron * (17) constipation, stomach pain, cirrhosis of liver, impaired heart function and failure
zinc 25 reduces absorption of copper and iron, leading to anaemia and weakening of bones
copper 10 stomach pain, damage to the liver and kidneys.
* Insufficient data to establish a safe upper level – value given is a guidance value for supplemental doses producing no adverse reaction.

March 13, 2010 at 3:47 pm
(38) Everyday Bikeathon says:

I bike to work 26 miles a day. When I get there a man selling fruit gives up to a dozen small bananas for a dollar.. Sometimes I eat all of them without sharing throughout the day. They are always ripe and sometimes I through away the funky part. Somebody told me that maybe I should not be eating so many bananas but it has been a while and I am still doing great. I notice that Mc Donalds sells two breakfast sandwiches for three dollars and lots of people get into that routine. I think to be fair 12 bananas a day for a dollar is much safer and healthier than 10 breakfast sandwiches a week and not to mention more filling and 10 dollars cheaper. I don’t think I am making any intelligable point here put that what I was thinking. Maybe I should starting eating an orange and 3-4 bananas. I should also avoid donuts and hashbrowns and anything via Mickey D’s.

September 8, 2011 at 12:58 pm
(39) Bananas992 says:

I am suprised you have enough energy after daily hits of 3,500-4,800 milligrams of potassium from bananas only to make that kind of trip. In hopes that you have realized that Mcdonalds breakfast sandwiches are perfect for 26 mile bike rides since March 13, 2010 you should still be alive and not receiving medical treatments from potassium damage. On that level of cardio you need more carbohydrates than you can handle to keep up with energy levels unless you are running off of some serious fat which I doubt because heavy people rarely can make a 26 mile trip on a bike. Try an apple with a banana, whole grain toast, and a scoop of whey protein for a better change. Never overly hardcore eat any one food like that because I did it too with almonds. I started having muscle fatigue and mental confusion from it so I changed my diet and spread it out. Good Luck!

March 22, 2010 at 6:56 am
(40) byron deacon says:

personaly i love bannanas, especialy the ripe ones, they dont snap when i put them up my butt, i then eat them, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8… 56 bannas is the record that i have eaten and yes, i died so this is proof to many bannanas do kill.
i also think you are all sad for commenting on the articly, its bananas GET OVER IT!!! what is safe to eat these days???

April 15, 2011 at 11:36 am
(41) Joyce S. says:

How about you GROW up?!!!

March 22, 2010 at 9:16 am
(42) issac sweeney says:

ive also had a bad case of banana poisoning when i put too many of them up my arse.. it was very enjoyable i would reccomend it apart from the poisoning oh and im gay btw

April 15, 2011 at 11:38 am
(43) Joyce S. says:

Sounds like you and Byron need your diapers changed and a nap! Again, GROW up!

April 5, 2010 at 8:06 am
(44) Aku Momin says:

I never knew that too much of bananas can be harmful,hyperkalemia symptoms varies from patients to patients…harmful effects on the skeletal and cardiac muscles like twitching and abnormalities in ecg(peaked t-waves) are seen.Maybe recorded or not recorded in medical history of banana toxicity as far as i know it is still safe to have bananas within your capacities.Care should be stressed on people with renal failure both acute and severe,hypoaldosteronism,and those who have poor urinary output…

April 16, 2010 at 6:54 pm
(45) Katy says:

You’d have to eat quite a few and not urinate. Your kidneys would get rid of the excess nutrient.

May 21, 2010 at 6:18 am
(46) paul says:

i Googled this today because i was feeling some bad effects this morning which i beleived was because of the bananas i had eaten yesterday.
overall i felt fine even tho i had eaten a total of 12 bananas over a few hours. the only effect i had was odd diarrhea this morning with chunks of banana still in it ( sorry to be so detailed lol )
i guess over a short time that potassium poisoning isnt likly because the body will rid itself of any excess food either through diarrhea or vomiting, but i guess if u continue to eat a substantial amount of bananas daily, keeping your potasium levels high then it is likly that you may suffer from other more serious effects

August 1, 2011 at 3:59 pm
(47) sam says:

how can you see left over banana in your poop. I mean. unless the banana was HARD. and you did not chew it.

If a piece of banana was still in us poop after going through you. you have more issues than to many bananas.

June 15, 2010 at 12:42 pm
(48) Yeah man says:

I have been eating an average of 5 bananas per day in the last year for four consequitive days and have no medical or health problems. I am very energetic and from my last medical a very healthy person thank to the lord almighty.

July 25, 2010 at 10:16 pm
(49) Alexandra says:

I have High Potassium and when i eat even half of a banana i feel like my heart will pop out my chest at any given moment and its very painful ive had it all my life and i have to be cautious because it is a very scary experience when you feel short of breath and light headed after taking one bite of banana but im the only one in my family with taht kinda problem my grandma has low potacium which is almost just as bad but is easily solved

September 7, 2010 at 6:24 am
(50) Guest says:

To poison: take 15 large bananas, scoop out the seeds down the centre, boil dry in water. Consume the dry residue. Call 911.
To get high: take 15 large bananas, scrape the pith from the skins, biol dry in water. Smoke.
Dont do this though obviously. You should never mess around with anything that alters electrolyte activity in your body (such as sodium and potassium)

April 15, 2011 at 11:41 am
(51) Joyce S. says:

Play, and I suppose you lick toads also?

April 15, 2011 at 11:42 am
(52) Joyce S. says:

*okay (typo)

September 15, 2010 at 12:18 am
(53) Mandingo says:

I have a large long killer banana for the ladies ;) Skin is already peeled, that’s right ladies.

April 15, 2011 at 11:44 am
(54) Joyce S. says:

You just keep believing that… Time to wake up!
“Mandingo” <- LMAO!!!

September 29, 2010 at 2:33 am
(55) Steven says:

WELL I BET A MONKEY OR AN APE CAN EAT AS MANY BANNANAS AS YOU GIVE THEM WITHOUT DYING.

October 10, 2010 at 3:20 am
(56) Robin Nixon says:

Actually you can overdose on bananas and give yourself arrhythmias (irregular heart beat), if you are also on a potassium drug for lowering blood pressure. In which case you can go past the maximum dose level quite easily. And if you also use a low salt alternative containing potassium then you are definitely going to feel the effect if you also have too many bananas. Basically, if you are on a potassium drug you should use very little low salt and only 1 banana a day to avoid possible side effects.

October 27, 2010 at 2:15 pm
(57) erlar says:

the toxicity of bananas might not come from potassium but from oxalic acid;
they contain a lot of it and it may cause lithiase.

November 6, 2010 at 8:26 am
(58) julie says:

I’m known for my strange eating habits but I have about 16 apples and about 6 bananas a day. If I didn’t I would have bowel problems and therefore on medication. I handed myself in to my gp but he didn’t think that it was a problem.

I want to know if I’m getting enough of other foods I eat lots of vegatbles, porridge in the morning, milk, yogurts meat.

Where can I get this information please?

June 23, 2011 at 9:09 pm
(59) biggermandingo says:

who in the **** eats PORRIDGE anymore? George Washington survived winters on scraping rock tripe (green mold) and boiling it with pine needles. Theres a bunch of healthy stuff in dirt too. And insects are lb for lb the ONLY AND HEALTHIEST way to FEED THE ENTIRE WORLD.

however….thats all disgusting. and….

i have a microwave that can nuke whale shaped chicken nuggets in literally 5 seconds. seeing as i am a 3rd generation microwave user “evolution”- and adding in that more nutrients are lost the LONGER YOU COOK THINGS.
this is THE HEALTHIEST WAY FOR ME TO EAT AND ABSORB THE MOST FROM MY FOOD .
welcome to the future.
throw your porridge in the laser incinerator.

October 6, 2011 at 3:45 am
(60) P-dilla says:

Dude I will admit that porridge is an out dated concept or word but really this is kinda mean that way you just spoke to this lady Julie don’t you think?

November 6, 2010 at 11:54 pm
(61) Looper says:

1-800-bananas (bananaholics anonymous)

December 5, 2010 at 8:27 pm
(62) Mike says:

I crunched in the numbers and here’s what I got: for a person weighing 60 kg, you will only need 17-18 bananas to induce a cardiac arrest. The actual number might be higher because the kidneys remove excess potassium from the bloodstream.

Here are some of the data and assumptions I worked with:

-each banana contains 450mg of potassium
-the normal blood concentration of potassium is 3.5-5.0mM
-the concentration of potassium needed to induce a cardiac arrest is 6.3-8.0mM
-a human body is 60% water (w/w)
-To keep my calculations simple, I didn’t consider the natural capability of the kidneys to remove excess electrolytes.
-I didn’t involve other xenophobic proteins in the body that might fight against potassium poisoning.

References:

January 6, 2011 at 12:56 am
(63) dtrer says:

my girlfriend eats on average 8 bananas a day and we have been together for a year. No sign of cardiac arrest!

January 11, 2011 at 9:36 am
(64) Monty says:

Why would anyone feel the need to eat 8 bananas a day? Is there no other food available?

February 9, 2011 at 11:42 pm
(65) eric says:

Hi,
My name is Eric and when i eat a banana an amazing transformation occurs. I become bananaman, with the muscles of twenty men, and the brains of twenty mussels.

February 14, 2011 at 4:51 pm
(66) Lorenzo says:

Thank you all for posting, I came here concerned, as I have been eating 3 bananas per day. I like to make half of a sandwich using banana with peanut butter(real peanut butter) no B.S. brands with corn syrup and such.
However, I leave here feeling comfortable that 3 of these wonderfully satisfying treats per day will not harm my physical condition.

P.S. My hat is off, in honor of Banana-man!

June 5, 2011 at 11:00 pm
(67) Abcedere says:

It’s gotten worse, in a way. Freeze dried bananas! Once you start, you can’t stop! Well, okay–You can stop, because they fill you up. I don’t know if these are new or not. They are new to me. They’re 100% better than fried banana chips

Potassium per 2.5 oz bag is 930 mg.

February 14, 2011 at 9:38 pm
(68) DanDann says:

I routinely eat 15-20 bananas a day and I have friends who eat 30-40…. Better energy, havent died yet. They taste way better (and are less starchin, aka easier to eat) when they’re actually ripe – good n spotty not bright n yellow.

February 20, 2011 at 8:13 am
(69) Hub says:

@ Penny. Do you think it possibly had anything to do with the daily smoking? Lol.

February 21, 2011 at 1:20 pm
(70) Lanthanum says:

If 7 or 8 bananas supply the RDA for potassium, I would think that 70 or 80 bananas would be an overdose, causing some problems (like excessive bowel movements) but not death. The potassium in bananas is too dilute to kill you.

March 2, 2011 at 9:28 pm
(71) alaska says:

Check it out, a baked russet potato has way more potassium than a banana…but who would eat more than one?

March 9, 2011 at 12:00 pm
(72) mickey says:

Honestly, this topic is sort of ridiculous. We have people out there eating McDonalds, KFC, Taco Bell and so on, and we’re writing articles about how bananas can be deadly. There are people who eat upwards of 20-30 bananas a day and are in perfect health, so could you riddle me that? It just blows my mind when I think of all of the problems with food in our society (GMOs, fast-food, etc.) and then I see articles about how a fruit is deadly.

March 22, 2011 at 10:06 pm
(73) Adam says:

If you have kidney failure you have to be very careful how muchow much potassium you take in as they can’t process it. My dad is on a limit on How many bananas (etc) he can have, as too much potassium can lead to heart attacks

March 31, 2011 at 5:53 am
(74) Heyvenn says:

Potassium affects your blood PH if the blood PH is too alkaline due to the potassium in your blood it may cause the heart to be too relax and this can be fatal because the heart is not able to circulate the blood through the pumping process. Once no blood reaches the brain all hell will break loose!

April 3, 2011 at 8:47 pm
(75) Bud says:

As a registered nurse, I can guess what the upper limit of banana eating should be. 1 banana is said to be about 10meq of potassium. The maximum amount we give of potassium replacement in the hospital when someone is low is about 60-80meq intravenously. Orally not to much as it will upset your stomach quickly! Reviewing labs everyday, I can tell you the average person is in the high 3 meq/L unless you take vitamins or eat nutritiously. And know how 10meq potassium replacement increases blood potassium level in patients, I can guess the average person should not consume more then 2 or 3 bananas a day.

April 6, 2011 at 12:29 pm
(76) unkown says:

It started off as a joke and a bet. My friend was told that eating 7 bananas could kill a person, so him and a buddy made a bet to see if it was real. After 7 bananas he was fine, he had 4 more and fell to the floor. Eating bananas can kill. Dont over do it.

August 24, 2011 at 10:43 am
(77) nutsack says:

that is hilarious! best way to die ever!

October 17, 2011 at 7:28 am
(78) eric says:

No such thing. I ate 20+ bananas a day. No problem

April 8, 2011 at 3:03 pm
(79) Tom says:

I just tried eating loads in a minute, managed 3, but it was a case of stuffing the whole banana in my mouth at once and swallowing. I have a headache and a tight chest. Nothing terrible. Eating a scone now.

November 28, 2011 at 6:42 am
(80) AleXXX says:

Thanks for the update. I love bananas and once fantasised about having a whole one in my mouth.

April 16, 2011 at 6:45 am
(81) Dave says:

I have a friend who, on average, eats very few bananas. On a recent trip to Asia however his consumption increased to over 20 a day (and thats only because we stopped him). No signs of major damage, although I am afraid he may try to reoffend if given the same opportunity back home. Any ideas guys?

April 25, 2011 at 9:25 pm
(82) slippery sam says:

The problem is all the skins. After eating 10 bananas I slipped on the skins on the floor. I nearly died!

April 29, 2011 at 5:15 pm
(83) Name says:

hi im so happy i just put a banana up my mouth and im smiling somehow however i fed some to my dog and it died, DONT EAT BANANAS ITS YELLOW BUT DEADLY

May 1, 2011 at 10:41 am
(84) gabe says:

This article is lacking sufficient research. Has anyone here ever read the 80/10/10 by Dr. Douglas N. Graham? There are many raw vegan athletes who frequently consume up to 20 bananas at one time. I myself have eaten 13 bananas after a 2 hour workout. The amount of potassium in a banana is so small it would take consuming more bananas than humanly possible to cause any kind of health problem. I’m a vegan, mostly raw and I am seriously mind baffled by how misinformed the general public is about nutrition. Living food for the living body. And if it seems unlikely that a person could consume 20 bananas in one sitting, which is about 2000 calories, just know that some athletes like those that compete in the tour de france typically burn anywhere from 10,000 to 14,000 calories in one day.

May 13, 2011 at 5:29 pm
(85) Cara says:

You have to eat around 400 plus bananas in a day for the potassium level to be lethal

May 17, 2011 at 6:32 am
(86) Kam says:

We have banana fields, had 15-20 bananas somedays when i was young that doesn’t affect the health, but the think is we use to work hard in the fields.. but guys don’t knead may be poison lol…

June 11, 2011 at 4:35 am
(87) Admin says:

Each of us has different constituents in our body. Some people are able to accept alot of alcohol while some can’t. Some can smoke as much as he wants but some just couldn’t bare the smoke. So, my friends, it all boil down to our yin and yang of our body. Beside, there are so many different species of bananas. Some have more potassium while other can have more of other minerals. Too much bananas can hurt some but not everyone. Whether you belong to the first category or the latter will much depend on your body’s yin & yang. Taking everything in moderation is the best policy.
So whoever commented that eating too much bananas is bad is perfectly correct. And so as those who said that he has eaten tons without any problem is perfectly true too. This is all about diversity in human makeup.

June 13, 2011 at 9:26 am
(88) pstjakes says:

i was born and live in Kenya in a village where our staple food is bananas each day i can consume more than 20 banana and i haven’t complained of my health nor have heard the neighbors complain about some health problem. My opinion on the potassium one ingest into the body depends on the location where one is especially if someone is getting bananas from low attitude areas then there might be some increase in the amount of potassium that might be contained in the soil and hence to the fruit also people prone to more industrious nations are likely to ingest in more due to the carbon emissions in to the environment which in turn is to the fruits through the soil so this article lacks a lot of research someone needs to go back to the lab and come out
with proper results

June 23, 2011 at 12:17 pm
(89) chris says:

I am trying to eat 5 today before 4:00. After the first 3 my stomach hurts and I am feeling dizzy like I have been drinking.

July 11, 2011 at 9:45 pm
(90) Mark says:

Just because it doesn’t kill you doesn’t mean it’s not unhealthy…

My cousin has been eating McDonald’s two meals a day, every day for several years, but hey, he’s still alive, so McDonald’s obviously isn’t bad for you, right?

July 18, 2011 at 10:12 am
(91) Binion says:

The recommended daily allowance for potassium changes as you age. Infants and toddlers, ages 0 to 3, should be consuming 750 to 800 milligrams per day, and children from 4 to 10 years old should ingest 1,100 to 2,000 milligrams of potassium per day. From 11 years old through adulthood, the suggested amount is 3,100 to 3,500 milligrams of potassium every day. One banana contains 594 milligrams, and a medium baked potato contains 1081. Take a look at your diet, and if you are not reaching these numbers regularly, you should adjust your diet or add a dietary supplement.

November 18, 2011 at 1:55 pm
(92) davea0511 says:

“Recomended Daily Allowance” … that’s the RDA … no matter what you think it means, no matter what any one, scientist or not, tells you, the RDA is the minimum you need of each thing to keep a normally healthy person from dying. You know what the RDA for Vitamin C is? 0.07 grams. I’ve had 70 grams in one day (4g every 30 minutes) with no side effects other than it got me over a terrible cold by the end of that day. How much is 70g of Vitamin c? Do the math, it’s 1,000,000% of the RDA for vitamin C. The medical community does not want you healthy … they want you mostly healthy and publish lies like the RDA and banana scares to leverage their industry.

July 30, 2011 at 5:45 am
(93) celia says:

Nowadays people are sooo gullible. As was written earlier every thing in moderation. You can kill your self with any food if eaten excessivly in one sitting.Wish common sense would make a comeback!!!

August 5, 2011 at 9:08 am
(94) Bobby says:

I eat 12 bananas i dont have any problam so many peoples are eating Pork Red meat on daily basis. I think bananas are better then those fats.

August 8, 2011 at 5:15 pm
(95) watalaba says:

Bananas CAN FLY! THEY CAN! I SAW ONE ON THE STREET THE OTHER DAY. GOD! BANANAS CAN REALLY FLY LIKE A FISH!! SEARCH FLYING BANANAS ON GOOGLE IMAGES IF U DONT BELIEVE ME.

September 1, 2011 at 5:58 pm
(96) nuel., says:

so stop the rumours………………..

September 1, 2011 at 10:16 pm
(97) marblestar says:

With my primate brothers, we ate and been eating bananas ever since. We jump from trees to trees; and swinging from vine to vine; We feel good as we enjoy our power nap in our favorite tree branch. We walk in twos, not fours as others may think. LOL

September 5, 2011 at 1:26 am
(98) Cherry says:

The potassium isn’t the reason I wouldn’t have bananas regularly, most certainly more than 1 in one day lol. Bananas have 200 calories in one cup (mashed), and is one of the few fruits that IS inflammatory, so if you have a weight issue or if you swell up with inflammatory foods…..

September 5, 2011 at 1:33 am
(99) Cherry says:

There is 200 calories in one cup of mashed bananas and is one of the few fruits that IS inflammatory, potassium is really not the large problem with eating bananas in abundance….

September 5, 2011 at 1:37 am
(100) Cherry says:

sorry about the double post, i didn’t see the first post till after i posted the second time.

September 10, 2011 at 6:39 pm
(101) jay says:

I eat 15 a day. I now have a tail, swing from trees, live in Trenton NJ and shop at Save-A-Lot.

Bananas are $0.47/lb

September 13, 2011 at 10:15 pm
(102) Dave says:

Absolutely ridiculous

November 18, 2011 at 1:58 pm
(103) davea0511 says:

Amen, brother.

September 15, 2011 at 11:52 am
(104) Jon says:

I just ate my 6th one for lunch. There are six more on the rack. Hope to come back to report I’m alive and well.

If I dont come back, you’ll know where go.

September 16, 2011 at 8:59 am
(105) Jon says:

still alive…

September 22, 2011 at 11:10 am
(106) Dean says:

stop fooling around
Look at this

September 23, 2011 at 7:16 am
(107) peter wilson says:

A banana a day keeps the reaper away!

September 28, 2011 at 7:21 pm
(108) natalie says:

bananas are actually not that rich in potassium they don’t even make the top ten potassium rich foods.

September 29, 2011 at 10:02 am
(109) Nicholas Coles says:

I usually eat 8 or nine evey morning.
I also collect small underpants and wear these and nothing else when I go out at evenings.

October 2, 2011 at 6:52 pm
(110) Me says:

It’s hard to make me laugh, but some of these comments had me in stitches :) :)

Anyway, I recently quit foods with sugar in them and switched to fruit (mainly bananas) and I’ve never felt better……………..no more leg pains and my eczema almost gone.
Basically on a cave-man diet of Meat and Fruit. That means no herbs/spices/grains/bread etc and low salt.

Btw I sometimes eat 8 bananas a day.. no probs.

October 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm
(111) charlotte says:

h i just got a shock there about the bannanas i think they should not b sold now they r dangerous i love my bananas i at least 3 or more a day please be carefull

October 5, 2011 at 10:35 am
(112) erica says:

Wow I am in tears laughing! Laughing out loud literally. Some of this post are just hilarious to me. I think some of yall are monkeys.

November 5, 2011 at 7:59 pm
(113) DG says:

I found this because I just wanted to see if anyone else ever ate alot of bananas….but I didn’t want to find out you can eat too many!…i just ate 13 of them…I’m kinda worried now. I guess we’ll see what happens.

Right now I feel normal, very full but normal. Don’t ask me why I ate this many. I workout alot so hopefully I’ll be ok.

November 9, 2011 at 9:33 pm
(114) Morgan says:

I don’t know what was going on with me at the time. I kept eating and eating and eating and I have never EVER ate as much food as I did that weekend. I think I was having a growth spurt or something. Well, I grabbed a banana and ate it. Then I ate another.. and another. So all together I ate 3 bananas. I went to bed right after. I woke up about 1:00 am in the morning, I did not get ANY sleep at all. My stomach was very badly upset and I had to wake my dad up. He told me to take some metamucil or something I can’t remember but it did make me feel better. I threw up the bananas I ate. I don’t know if it was the bananas that made me sick or not but I’m pretty sure it was.

November 12, 2011 at 3:43 am
(115) smit says:

i eat 7 bananas a day .. have been doin that since 2005 till date .. i started with 24 bananas a day in the form of milkshake.. and now reduced to 7 a day… i am still alive.. all the best.. cheers!

November 13, 2011 at 3:20 am
(116) Lisa B says:

Someone told me not to give my baby to many bananas because of the high potassium levels. Now I checked the potassium levels of all other fruits and veggies. dried apricots and prunes are about 10 times as high in potassium. Loads of other berries (as banana belong to berry group) are much higher in potassium. Avocado is higher aswell. I have never heard anyone warn for avocado. Always check everything when people give you advice they heard in some playgroup or someone picked it up while they were doing their nails at office. I alway say -oh , How interesting. Would you like to show me the scientific proof please. I would love to read it.

November 18, 2011 at 2:19 pm
(117) davea0511 says:

Anyone seen Furious Pete on youtube eat 18 bananas in 2 minutes? He’s a competitive eater … documentary about him. Said he kept it down and felt normal other than having gas all night. the only way eating too many banana’s will kill you is if you choke on them to death. People who think they’re potassium sensitive because banana’s make them ill are likely mistaken. Eat a bunch of dried apricots and prunes and I’ll bet you’ll be fine, and you’ll have just consumed a magnitude more potassium than what’s in a banana. This is more of some sophomore ivory tower idiot spewing the party line … not her fault, it’s just her fault for believing everything published by a society built to enrich it’s contributing members.

November 24, 2011 at 10:20 pm
(118) Rhiannon says:

3rd year student nurse here.

Your body is very good at keeping what it needs and filtering out what it doesn’t need. If you eat “too many” bananas your body will simply filter out the excess potassium.

Unless you already have health problems (especially kidney problems) you can safely eat as many bananas as you want.

December 6, 2011 at 8:22 pm
(119) durianrider says:

My record is 72 in a day and I got my potassium levels checked the next day and they were only 4.2 lol!

Look up ’50 bananas a day’ on youtube. Hot chick that eats a crap load of bananas!

look up 30bananasaday.com is a great forum too.

December 18, 2011 at 3:57 pm
(120) teddy says:

I had no idea that you could eat to many bannanas,

December 28, 2011 at 8:27 am
(121) DEV says:

I usually have 8 to 10 bananas a day… I don’t found any heart problem ever. even i feel more relaxed and healthy from i started eating bananas. i feel this is nonsense thing to say babanas are dangerous to health. Those who feel the same please check the toxicity of all other food you daily have especially fast food.

January 1, 2012 at 7:48 am
(122) rose says:

I EAT 10 OR MORE BANANAS DAY. I LOVE THEM HAVE DONE FOR YEARS, I AM NOW 70

January 3, 2012 at 9:41 am
(123) sayed waseef ali says:

many a times i ate 12 to 14 bananas but it did not effect me at all.

January 8, 2012 at 2:33 pm
(124) Sergio says:

if youre healthy you cant eat too many bananas your kidneys throw away the extra PO and youll probably get a migraine, if you have failed kidneys or some sort of condition where you cant regulate PO thats a different story.

January 14, 2012 at 1:01 pm
(125) Hil says:

this potassium “poisoning” she’s referring to is called hyperkalemia and I’m sorry, but unless you already have heart disease or your kidneys aren’t functioning, no banana is going to push you into a dangerous potassium overload. People on very certain drugs have to watch their potassium intake but rest assured they got an earful and they know who they are and how to regulate. Plus, bananas are not that crazy full of potassium. Some legumes for instance have twice the potassium a banana does per serving. Man made supplements cause hyperkalemia, not bananas. This is trash

January 16, 2012 at 3:23 pm
(126) Tall Jan says:

I, as a malicious banana lover, have endured many cardiac arrests while enjoying my beloved fruit. Since the age of 9 I have not eaten anything else but bananas and the occasional banana shaped candy. I have noticed that my complexion has become slightly yellow. Also, since hitting puberty, by legs have developed a pronounced bend in them. It is my life long dream to complete my full metamorphis become a teen-nana.

x0x0

January 17, 2012 at 9:32 am
(127) William Z says:

U know how people want to become that ripped dude well i am trying to lose my belly fat which i am finding pretty hard and finally decided to go on a diet of some sort when i thought of bananas which are pretty delicious and i was just wondering if i just ate banana’s and some other healthy food for like 2 weeks can i become ripped

i do daily cardio and resistant training and p.s its winter in china
but i come from aus

January 23, 2012 at 1:27 am
(128) Arizona says:

Everything in moderation is the key! My doctor says bananas can raise your glycemic index over time.

I love bananas, I eat one in the morning and one before bed!

Good healthy snack and I am loosing weight!

January 24, 2012 at 2:31 pm
(129) Diorsdune says:

@ Dr Helmenstine – What’s the answer??

Been a year since the article was posted. Are you trying to survey?

Would appreciate a response.

January 30, 2012 at 6:24 pm
(130) Shawn says:

I eat nearly 30 a day. Eat 10 and chuck 15-20 in a lender with a few dates and some water and blend. A great afternoon pick me up that’ll keep you going strong.

February 1, 2012 at 2:20 pm
(131) Almasy says:

Well i know of a guy who claims to have eaten 70 in a day (and i’m inclined to believe him)
personally i’ve managed 20 in a day (along with a kilo of raisins ]my favorite fruit] which are also high in potassium)

as to the ridiculously low amounts people have stated (3 a day from a nurse? what the hell do they teach you nowadays, bloody morons) Ugandans eat an average of 13 bananas PER PERSON EVERY DAY!

February 20, 2012 at 3:36 pm
(132) Bob says:

Well although this is an interesting question, death would never be possible from a “normal” banana unless someone is intentionally gorging themselves to death. A few less then 10 bananas carries a daily amount of potassium. it would take about 4-5 times that to cause liver and heart failure. No stomach can hold that many bananas.

LONG STORY SHORT NO HUMAN CAN EAT ENOUGH BANANAS IN TIME FOR POTASSIUM POISON TO START

February 25, 2012 at 12:22 pm
(133) Jguillory says:

I just started eating dehydrated bananas an just can not get enough of them so was searching for harmful effects thanks

February 29, 2012 at 12:59 am
(134) Believer says:

In late term abortions, a lethal dose of potassium is injected directly into the baby’s heart to kill the baby almost immediately. I don’t know about the proper number of bananas to eat in adulthood, but I know too much potassium is dangerous.
I believe in the living, triune God of the bible and that abortion is wrong in every way, so no lectures on that topic, please. Just stating a potassium fact : )

February 29, 2012 at 8:51 pm
(135) paul says:

I didn’t know that eating too much banana reach to death so i ate 7 bananas until my mother and my brother told me about the effect of bananas on heart.

March 1, 2012 at 3:47 pm
(136) Chantal says:

No such thing as banana poisoning. Go to 30bananasaday.com and tell me these naner eaters look nothing less than fit, thin, healthy and vibrant.

I myself eat between 15-20 bananas a day, as well as about 1-2lbs of greens and yummy dates, oranges, mangos…whatever is ripe. I’m alive, fit, healthy, sickness free and live quite a vital life.

It’s funny that we’re asking if bananas are poisonous, what else do you eat? When you read every ingredient on the package can you pronounce them all? Let alone know what they all are? So please, let’s not blame the fruit, mother nature’s gift.

March 1, 2012 at 8:20 pm
(137) curly top says:

Bananas have a lot of vit B6, so too many at night will give you vivid dreams. Also they’ve got benzoic acid, which some people are allergic too. Also oxalic acid, which can give you kidney stones or something. But the potassium content ain’t nothing to worry about – your kidneys get rid of all the excess you don’t need. You die of a distended stomach before you die of too much potassium from stuffing yourself with bananas.

March 12, 2012 at 5:44 pm
(138) John says:

AHH nothing like a good old banana pudding :)

March 15, 2012 at 3:48 pm
(139) Brennan says:

Some of these comments are ridiculous.

Here’s the truth; it takes 2,500mg (2.5g**) of KCL per kg of bodyweight to cause a lethal dose. There is ~422mg of potassium per medium banana (according to nutritiondata.self.com). For me, someone who weighs 125lbs (56.8kg*), I would have to consume 336 bananas in one sitting!

2,500mg x 56.8kg = 142,000mg / 422mg = 336

*1kg = 2.2lbs
**1,000mg = 1g

March 16, 2012 at 12:34 am
(140) Bananna Man says:

(139) Brennan says:

Some of these comments are ridiculous.

2,500mg x 56.8kg = 142,000mg / 422mg = 336

*1kg = 2.2lbs
**1,000mg = 1g

END QUOTE

Absolutely. A normal healthy individual would never be able to consume sufficient quantities of bannanas in a single sitting to cause any adverse reactions. Potassium can dissapate in the body fairly quickly and its dissipation is accelerated with consumption of fluids and is excreted in urine and perspiration. The only caution would be those on salt alternatives containing potassium, or those on potassium medications. But it is highly unlikely that even those would be able to consume sufficient quantity of bannanas to cause any adverse effects.

Banannas are rich in fibre and healthy vitamines. They do not call them Natures fruit bowl for nothing.

March 17, 2012 at 3:49 pm
(141) Keith says:

About a year ago I went to the emergency room about 5 times in 2 weeks for heart irregularities… PVCs , I was having PVCs about every other heart beat. It was extremely scary. Blood work reveled that I had a very low potassium level in my blood.
My point is, EAT THE BANANAS ! lol… you’ll be much better off than not !

March 20, 2012 at 5:37 pm
(142) banana peels says:

To be safe, make sure you peel your banana before consumption. If you find yourself eating a banana that has not been peeled, chew and swallow carefully. If not you could choke on the banana.

April 9, 2012 at 1:48 pm
(143) bananarama says:

I used to have one banana a day which made me feel a little funny for a moment…. and then one time i had two bananas and got heart palpitations for the rest of the day!

you know what’s nice? banana and peanut butter sarni’s, mmnnn

April 19, 2012 at 2:34 am
(144) Pat says:

I just bought about 40 lbs of bananas at Walmart on sale for $5. That is a good price for being in Alaska.

So I had around 15 bananas in shakes and what not the first day. A ton more today and I feel fine. I work in a moderately stressful environment anyways but I did notice my cardiovascular system getting a little jacked.

It would have been great if I was in the gym, but unfortunately I wasn’t. Nothing real extreme though. No headaches or myocardial infarctions.

April 20, 2012 at 4:59 pm
(145) Rachel says:

I read an article in New Idea about an Adlaide couple who ate up to 70 bananas a day on a daily basis.

Also I wanted to comment the RDI is not a recommended daily intake. It is a recommended minimum daily intake. As in the bare minimum you will need to prevent diseases like scurvy etc.

April 21, 2012 at 10:45 pm
(146) Banananananana says:

How can people be bitching that you can over eat on bananas and die? I think monkeys eat over 50 a day. Why don’t they suffer from all of these symptoms and imaginary BS? Interesting how slamming down grande meals at mcdonalds with aspartame cola is ok, but watch out for those natural fruits and veggies. You might need a diet coke to balance everything out. Maybe if you crush your prozac pills and dust the bananas with the powder, then they will seem safe for you to eat.

Stop being a bunch of ninnys controlled by everything you see and read. Watch other mammals if you want to see how to live. Eat natural things. They are all trying to teach you something, just by their being there and you are all just hypnotized sitting there reading books, like …

Oh Jackass Mcbarnpharter PHD said that too many bananas are not good. So you should mix it with a good variety of lard, salt, flouride, and hell some plastic. Jackass Mcbarnpharter said it so it should be true right? Monkeys don’t get sick and die, but they are stupid because they can’t read and go to 10 years of school to become a retard and not see that nature takes care of itself.

Watch the animals idiots. Watch the animals. They are smarter than you. That is why they don’t speak. You become stupid when you open your mouths and believe all this garbage.

I PITY THE FOOL

MR T

April 25, 2012 at 7:40 am
(147) rory says:

it takes 400 bananas to reach the level of toxicity to induce damage to the body. I regularly eat 30 a day and know people who thrive off around 50 a day. check out http://www.30bananasaday.com if you dont believe me.

May 8, 2012 at 12:48 am
(148) Monkey says:

I have a congenital heart defect requiring a daily heart medication to keep the beat regular. I eat about 20 bananas a day and feel fairly healthy. My real question is: in these banana splits, should I be eating them with vanilla ice cream or chocolate?
Also, I seem to have gained a bit of weight, not sure why. Any ideas?

May 10, 2012 at 3:58 pm
(149) Philthy says:

I have watched multitudes of televisual evidence to show bananas as nothing more than a highly risky food stuff which health and safety has overlooked to its detriment……..What?…….What do you mean cartoons don’t count?

May 11, 2012 at 12:05 pm
(150) Gabe says:

This is ridiculous, has anyone here read the 80/10/10 by Dr. Douglas N Graham? It is a book advocating for a raw vegan diet, mostly fruit and eating large mono meals. That’s a meal consisting of only one food, like bananas. I consistently eat over 20 bananas a day and sometimes i eat up to 30 in a day. It is absurd to say that fruit is dangerous, fruit is the most natural and pure food for humans with the best combination of carbs, fat and protein. IF you don’t believe it then google 80/10/10 or look up durianrider on youtube.

May 12, 2012 at 9:13 am
(151) bananas_are_FINE! says:

You people who actually think a bunch of bananas will kill you are simply idiots. Sad but true.

Check any website related to kidney stones, and look up the uric acid type. Guess how they’re treated… potassium! I take just under TEN THOUSAND MG PER DAY ,and have been for over FOUR YEARS!

That might sound like a lot- and it is- but that’s exactly what I need to prevent forming kidney stones the size of a marble in as little as a couple days! For those who might wonder about the effects, they are simple: I have to make sure I eat them with food to prevent minor stomach pain, and other than that I experience a lot of “the runs”- a small price to pay for no longer creating kidney stones so large I had to be operated on twice to remove them- the biggest so far actually turning my entire left kidney into a rock.

Eat all the bananas you enjoy, the crap about them hurting you is a load of what makes them grow nicely!

May 21, 2012 at 6:07 pm
(152) marlon says:

I had been eating bananas my entire life then all of a sudden one day I ate a banana and I got sick stomach started to cramp up and I was constantly on the toilet I don’t get it I was fine one minute then I ate a banana I got sick.

May 30, 2012 at 7:36 am
(153) Marc says:

I have always eaten Bananas by the handful as a kid.
Now I am in my mid-30′s and I have never had any problem eating Bananas.

The most I have had (within an hour) is about 8 or 9 medium sized Bananas)
I have also had (on MANY occasions) about 16 or 17 of the chunky finger Bananas.
i’m in good health and never had any symptoms.

i just googled…. the lethal dose is about 2.5grams of potassium (orally) PER KG of body weight!
I am 55 KG.. so I would need 137grams of Potasium to kill me. There is about 4grams of potassium in a regular Banana,, so I would need 34 Bananas to potentially kill me.
BUT, I have no idea about the time-frame. because the kidneys would be removing potassium from my body as I am eating them. I am guessing it would take me well over an hour to eat 34 Bananas, so I think it might be difficult to ‘catch up’ to the lethal dose threshold.

so i think its pretty same UNLESS you have some major kidney problem,, (and you wont be able to remove excess potassium from your body).. then you should ignore all this information and take your food in moderation.

June 11, 2012 at 3:00 am
(154) Jack says:

Technically bananas can’t kill you, but to much potassium can, basically how that happens is if your body can’t process it correctly through your liver or kidneys, so if you have kidney and liver problems watching your potassium levels would be the logical thing to do and if you have high potassium then don’t eat bananas or peanut butter or anything with high amounts of potassium and contrary to belief potatoes have more potassium than a banana. Anyway banana make me gag do if you eat 10 that is just crazy one or two a day I can understand but more than that you need to consider other food options!

June 12, 2012 at 9:57 am
(155) Maggie says:

My brother has been hospitalized several times for high potassium. Once he was even life-flighted to a major hospital 70 miles away, but it wasn’t because of bananas. If you eat loads of bananas, barring certain kidney conditions, your body will use what it needs and pass what it doesn’t. This is the human body we’re talking about here. You’d be surprised how well it works all on its own. lol

June 27, 2012 at 12:59 pm
(156) rubicon says:

Check out ‘Durianrider’ on Youtube. He eats at least 30+ bananas a day!

July 8, 2012 at 2:18 pm
(157) Aidan says:

I once ate 20 bananas and i ended up sharting everywhere. It would seem that i had no heart issues but a few bad fart issues…..

July 13, 2012 at 1:25 am
(158) James Long says:

Frutarians I know eat 10 or 20 bananas or more. And they are very healthy.

July 14, 2012 at 5:05 pm
(159) Sploosh69 says:

U are idiots its not the bananas it’s the potassium nd u won’t die from the banana bcuz the bodies natural reaction to anything it doesnt like nd vomit it back up

July 18, 2012 at 5:41 pm
(160) danwithjesus says:

Beautifull comments,some made laugh real hard. I eat at least 5 bananas a day with milk,yogurt or sour cream..some days this is my only food and i must say i am healthy. Eating healthy involves in mixing of the fruits and vegetables but also keep your body in shape and drinking liquids(water mostly)is important too…Bananas,as other users said,are rich also in fiber…Fiber don’t work as they supose to work if no water is drinked..Eat bananas but if you can,make yourself a green smoothie every day(one glass of 250ml is enough for the day) and drink it….that is good for cleaning your body in case you think you ate to many bananas…at least this works on me;)

July 25, 2012 at 11:20 am
(161) Boppalilbit says:

Only one if it becomes lodged and the person chokes to death!

August 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm
(162) izzyjessbell says:

I ate 9 bananas today, and will aim to eat more.

there is a site call 30 bananas a day that I been checking out

I dont think I would eat that many but I am feeling much better since eating more bananas

August 11, 2012 at 6:28 am
(163) B. A. Nana says:

As a Banana myself, could I please ask you to refrain from eating me?

-edit (in case u ask how am I typing this if I’m a banana? Well I’m artificial-genetically-modified —so there!!)

August 18, 2012 at 12:37 pm
(164) MarzoC says:

Its not potassium, Its Norepinephrine.

Serotonin, Norepinephrine, and Related Compounds in Banana

Following the observation of Anderson that ingestion of bananas produces an increased excretion of 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid in the urine, the present authors undertook a study to identify compounds in banana which could be the basis for this phenomenon. It was found that banana contained large amounts of norepinephrine and a related substance, dopamine. Large amounts of serotonin were also identified in banana. These are potent physiologic agents and thus their presence in a food is of considerable clinical interest. Whether the oral administration of these substances through banana feeding results in characteristic physiologic effects of these substances, and whether some of the reported therapeutic uses of banana can be attributed to their presence, remain to be determined.

Source: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/21/6/892

From norepinephrine wikipedia page:

As a stress hormone, norepinephrine affects parts of the brain, such as the amygdala, where attention and responses are controlled.[5] Along with epinephrine, norepinephrine also underlies the fight-or-flight response, “directly increasing heart rate”, triggering the release of glucose from energy stores, and increasing blood flow to skeletal muscle.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norepinephrine
——————————————————————————————————-

Bananas should be limited only by those with atherosclerosis(clogged heart with animal fat). As stated above, Norepinephrine increases heart rate and an increase in heart rate with someone with atherosclerosis can be fatal.

More reason to go Vegan.

August 22, 2012 at 12:03 am
(165) Joseph Guite says:

So far in recorded human history,there is no death resulting from banana consumption. It sounds very funny that a highly nutritious food can kill you, the body wont allow that much of a bannana that might kill us. Infact banana can prevents Cancer,always eat a banana or two everyday…

August 27, 2012 at 6:25 pm
(166) banana man says:

I like bananas

August 30, 2012 at 5:15 am
(167) bigbananasplitmyarse says:

I once ate like 3 bananas whole sideways and like totally died man

August 31, 2012 at 4:12 pm
(168) GBMAC says:

I still love banana, it tastes great! However, I was at the verge of losing my life at some point due to heart failure and my diet changed forever. Banana was taking out of the way as it didn’t help my healing! My body reacted badly whenever I take it. I think the potassium thing may be responsible.

I believe it may not help if your heart is wounded or troubled….heart attack, heart failure, etc. Just keep eating bananas if your body is receptive of it; but if you feel a bit restless whenever you take it, visit your GP immediately.

September 4, 2012 at 8:55 pm
(169) Jan says:

In reply to number 29.
It sounds as though you can be grateful that after eating badly cooked beans which disagreed with you, that you followed it up with a banana which made you puke them all up. Bravo the Banana! It got rid of the problem altogether.
Go go go Bananas!!!!

September 5, 2012 at 2:01 pm
(170) Bananaboy says:

I eat 20ish banas a day no problem. It’s a myth and your article cointains no research.

September 13, 2012 at 8:48 pm
(171) kris says:

Hi, Im 6’6 190 pounds and eat at least 10-15 bananas a day. I cut down a lot of bananas by my house here in Hawaii. My blood pressures great just had my labs done and at the va hospital. A guy told me at the hospital not to eat so many bananas, so i looked it up finding this site. Today I got my labs back everything was perfect. My good cholesterol is in check along with my bad and my k reading were normal so i don’t know 4 years going and still fine i also work outside everyday and my heart rate seems to be normal for me all the time. Im mean you ascended from apes and no banana in the world will kill a ape as far as i know. Do the monkey have a banana!

October 1, 2012 at 7:01 am
(172) buck says:

I make smoothies from 5 banana’s 3-5 times a day.
Use Slim-Fast Chocolate (Royale powder).
I can’t begin to tell you how good they are.
Habit forming.

October 23, 2012 at 5:13 am
(173) Llamaaa says:

I found out on a fact website that it takes 480 bananas to actually kill you though….. :/

November 4, 2012 at 4:07 pm
(174) Gary says:

I have eaten 26 large bananas in one day and between 10 – 15 bananas a day for at least a week. I have eaten 10 bananas in one smoothie in about 20 minutes.
Check out http://www.30bananasaday.com loads of interesting information here. These people eat sooooo much fruit and just look how healthy they are.

You would need to eat about 400 bananas in one go in order to have in your body the same amount in K+ that is used to kill people on death row.

November 7, 2012 at 2:53 pm
(175) sigh says:

how about looking into PESTICIDES ! about a trillion ppl are getting their lives cut in half by slower poison additives, and that’s getting into the hidden stuff

November 26, 2012 at 2:18 pm
(176) 3LAN says:

Most of the warnings, like: Too much potassium can lead to heart damage and cardiac arrest.

Are specific enough IF we pay attention to the language used.
Can LEAD too, sounds very much like a daily consumption of too many along with all the other sources of potassium one consumes.

Just like an aspirin a day is great for heart patients, but taking two a day on an empty stomach can leave one bleeding in the stomach. The other word to concentrate on is CAN lead to. Ergo a possibility exists.

If a slightly high amount doesn’t “kill” you, and it shouldn’t, than I feel they are saying that “over time” elevated amounts can bring symptoms about.

December 1, 2012 at 5:04 pm
(177) Shane says:

I just ate 13 and am still alive

December 4, 2012 at 12:02 pm
(178) kendra says:

well since i don’t like bananas its not a problem for me not to eat many the only time i really eat them is in MY MAMA’S BANANA PUDDING! :) and that it!

December 26, 2012 at 9:16 pm
(179) Ken says:

I eat 5 to 7 bananas a day and I’m fine. This sounds like a bunch of rubbish to me.

December 28, 2012 at 10:13 pm
(180) Karen says:

I hve been eating at least 5 to 6 bananas a day worried about the effects but iam a runner swimmer do lots of cardio they keep me in shape at119 i feel good.

January 5, 2013 at 11:32 am
(181) arslan says:

hi guys

i am here to finish this eating banana confusion

eat more then 2 banana in one time and maximum 8 to 10.

most of the time eat it after work or exercise

banana shake is best for after excercise,

this level of eating banana couldnt coz any desease

so dont worry eat this natural gft of ALLAH.

at the end i say “i love banana”

January 12, 2013 at 6:20 pm
(182) Me and my friends says:

Bring your friends

And bring bananas

Not too many

And not too few

Nice

Aren’t they?

January 13, 2013 at 11:07 pm
(183) ASIFULLA KHAN says:

hi friends
13/1/2013, we friends bed ,who will eat 10 bananas in 5 min , by grace of allah i ate
10 banana in 3.52 min . masha allah.

January 18, 2013 at 9:23 pm
(184) MzJuicy says:

I’m gonna say this those of you who say you eat 8, 9 or 20 banana’s a day are full shit! Why on earth would you do that! There are lots of other fruits to eat. I do not believe for one second any of you ate that many banana’s so stop talking shit!

February 6, 2013 at 8:17 pm
(185) Josh says:

This summer, I ate well over 100 bananas… about 30 of them was in one day… let me assure you, I am not dead, nor does eating 10 bananas in one sitting kill you… thank you :)

February 11, 2013 at 6:40 am
(186) Brett says:

I just at 7 bannana’s! PRAISE ME

February 15, 2013 at 5:28 am
(187) pigpog says:

i think there is some truth in eating too many is bad for you.

i just bought 2 bags of bananas from my local sweet shop. i bought 2 because it was 1 bag for 59pence or 2 for 99pence so obviously i went for the deal.

anyway, there must be at least 30 in just one bag and i’m already into the second bag now withing about 10 minutes. i’m actually feeling pretty nauseous.

i’m not saying don’t eat so many if that’s what you want but just go easy.
next time i’m definitely going for the prawns instead. or maybe the jelly babies, i can’t decide.

February 19, 2013 at 5:21 am
(188) Ze says:

i see a lot of comments saying 5 or 6 banana s a day would be fine. ARE YOU NUTS? 5 bananas a day?? i’m not a doctor but i know that ain’t right. i’m not even sure if 5 a week is a good idea too, on the long run

March 4, 2013 at 10:39 am
(189) mike says:

johann blake eats 16 bananas a day and he’s the second fastest man in the world. plenty of people eat more than this. none of them are dead

March 6, 2013 at 4:18 am
(190) JennyDomi says:

Wooow am a banana lover and a banana addict :( what can I do? Can’t live without banana

March 6, 2013 at 11:33 pm
(191) lillie says:

You would have to eat 487 of them to die for it.

March 11, 2013 at 2:37 pm
(192) Renard says:

It would rather be funny to say that bananas can only be eaten till satisfaction. bananas are really very healthy and makes one get full quickly, so i generally believe that not even anyone can eat up to 10 healthy bananas at a time, and for this reason i wander how easy it would be possible to reach the poisoning point. I ques someone will only eat up to a poisoning point of bananas, for a competition.

Just eat and be full.

March 13, 2013 at 6:05 pm
(193) Miriah says:

I woulnt recommend testjbg this. I ate 3 yesterday and almost died. I hav an oral allergy to bananas so I slice them up and fry them so they don’t bother my mouth. Yesterday my throat starte to close and I had a lot of trouble breathing. I took a bunch of benodrly and I was on after a while. I have always tea that an oral allergy can’t cause anifilexia (sp?) but apparently it can in rate cases so be carful!

March 19, 2013 at 6:45 am
(194) David says:

You can never eat too many. i know people that eat 30+ a day :)

March 26, 2013 at 7:39 pm
(195) Carly says:

What if u just eat a banana like every week?

March 29, 2013 at 12:58 pm
(196) James says:

now, this is very strange, I had a bike accident today.. head on with a on coming car and smashed hes screen, had check over at the scene and ECG.. paramedic said straight away your fine but do eat a lot of Bananas. as i love bananas the answer was yes.. he said it leaves a lot of potassium and can damage the Heart to my shock and to cut down to one a day.
since I eat 2 or 3 a day.. can this really be true..? shocked and bruised cyclist..

March 30, 2013 at 11:56 am
(197) Ryan says:

Some of you people are pigs! How do you eat a whole bunch of bananas in one sitting?! I’ve never heard of such a thing…it’s gluttony.

April 5, 2013 at 6:05 am
(198) Outdoorgym says:

What a load of rubbish. I have over 60 banana plants and I eat at least 20 a day and have done so for the last 20 years. It is awesome if you are trying to raise your testosterone. Bananas are poisonous….what will they think of next. You really must get a life!!!!!!!!!

April 7, 2013 at 3:48 am
(199) bananalover says:

actually peeing my pants with laugher. ilu bananas

April 9, 2013 at 2:56 pm
(200) Erling Panduro says:

Okay guys I made an experiment today eating a 100 bananas. I am so nauseous right now. Do not eat a 100 bananas.

April 12, 2013 at 4:48 pm
(201) wesley clarke says:

all this info makes me want to laugh because is a load of bull, I have banana and yoghurt every day and I am still here. Fit and well, word of advice what ever you see written on the internet nowadays DO NOT BELEIVE!!!

April 21, 2013 at 4:20 am
(202) chimpansee says:

All that Banana eaters are acting like real monkeys
So Darwin has it right.
Human beings are the descendants of monkeys.
Congratulations

April 22, 2013 at 6:07 am
(203) chad says:

For banana lovers who cant eat them because of acid reflux, just peel off the strings on the bananas, the strings are the acid! enjoy it after that.

May 12, 2013 at 3:47 pm
(204) Farty says:

Try a banana walnut and brazil nut milkshake tastes great!

June 2, 2013 at 3:50 am
(205) bvk says:

I was heavy smoker n drinker for past 6 years. I tried to quit it but couldnt resist nicotin withdrawal symptoms. But since last 21 days neither i had alcohol nor single puff of smoke.. i had only milk(2 litres), apple(5-6) and banana(10-12) per day, which helped me to quit bad habits. And i didnt felt nicotin or alcohol withdrawal symptoms… and no cardial arrest and now i am very healthy.. now u can judge yourself benefits of banana.

June 5, 2013 at 9:53 am
(206) Laura says:

Guys. Look up Freelee on youtube. She eats like 50 bananas a day and is HANDS DOWN WAY MORE FIT AND HEALTHY THAN EVERYBODY READING THIS PAGE.

June 7, 2013 at 2:10 pm
(207) Wack Rapper Hater says:

It truly depends on the tolerance of the person to whatever it is your eating, some people body can handle 10 bananas some more some less, the only way to really find out is through individual experience.

June 28, 2013 at 9:14 pm
(208) Joseph says:

I have no stomach (CDH1- stomach gene for cancer so I had my stomach removed 3 years ago after losing so many family members to stomach cancer) Believe it or not, I am pretty healthy in my 50′s. But i have such a craving for strange things like never before such as bananas . I get up in the middle of the night sometimes several times and have two at a time. I may eat 10 bananas some days and every day of the week. Maybe the alkaline (or potassium?) helps with the acid reflux one can have after this type of surgery. Also crave dates (sometimes 20 a day) and dark chocolate (many times 100 grams a day) and red wine-ha .
I think the bananas gives a settling feeling of the stomach (oh…i mean non-stomach condition). The good thing about bananas and dates for someone of my condition is that I think it helps me keep on and even gain weight- an extremely difficult thing for someone in my condition to do!
Reading the above posts was very helpful as I will track this potassium – heart warning.
Having no stomach is obviously a disadvantage and so far, since I feel great eating bananas, going bananas should be good news for those with stomachs.

July 1, 2013 at 2:56 am
(209) Man says:

funny people worried about Banannas, when even the air we breath to the mercury fillings in our teeth Kill us, Haha all I can say is eat as many damn Banannas as you can enjoy! life is way too short to worry about Banannas.and look on the bright side Protein! and even a monkey knows its good . !!! Anger is a poison worth worrying about!!!
Why are you so mad?

July 2, 2013 at 8:50 am
(210) Bananalover says:

I have been eating between 5-10 bananas daily for a year now. My body loves it and I have never felt better.

July 13, 2013 at 1:22 pm
(211) Castaway says:

To test your theories I’ve begun consuming between twelve to fifteen babanas per day, and I’m happy to report that nothing bad has ha…

July 16, 2013 at 10:25 am
(212) Rabie says:

So many times I eat 11 bananas a day and nothing happened to me. But I usually eat 5-6 bananas a day and I love it. By the way I consider myself as “normal” but I just love to eat a lot of fruits and I am very healthy and fit.

July 16, 2013 at 3:21 pm
(213) Alec Griffith says:

Oh come on I eat 10-15 bananas at a time, I’m a vegan I get all my nutrition from fruit and vegetables I’m still alive

July 17, 2013 at 5:21 am
(214) Reece Bucks says:

I ate 13.5 bananas in the space of about an hour once and i didn’t notice any change. But then, I’ve always been a bit strange!!!!!!!!!!

July 17, 2013 at 10:26 pm
(215) lucy says:

what a load of b******t just ate 10 for breakfast with 5 dates in a smoothie. bananas dont even make the to 50 of whole food sources of potasium dates are one potatoes are 2 why arent the incas having potasium overdoses on tatoes hmmmm

July 21, 2013 at 5:58 pm
(216) kathryn mcmorrow says:

what a fun comment board. Rahul (comment 20) is a chain banana eater.

July 21, 2013 at 6:35 pm
(217) kathryn mcmorrow says:

Another funny thought I had was remembering that some dieticians refer to 1/2 banana as a single serving. To diminish overeating by those who haven’t benefit of nutritional facts on banana wrappers, a sad ignorance conducive to death, in killing a whole banana by one’s self.

July 21, 2013 at 7:29 pm
(218) kathryn mcmorrow says:

@ Monty (64)

“Why would anyone feel the need to eat 8 bananas”

Because that’s what it takes to get the full Monty.

July 26, 2013 at 9:58 am
(219) chas says:

Do you think it’s a bit curious that the oldest living man consumed a banana every day?

August 5, 2013 at 9:24 pm
(220) jman says:

thanks for the info. i used to fill the blender 3 or 4 times a night with banana milk shakes but now i just leave the bananas out and drink vanilla milk shakes. you can never be too careful.

August 14, 2013 at 6:45 pm
(221) Bmn8 says:

One banana killed me :(

August 17, 2013 at 3:18 pm
(222) Random person says:

Well lets see, 150 bananas worth of potassium in the bloodstream at once to kill you, your body can clean out about 5-10 in 10 minutes. An average bunch of bananas has approximately 8 bananas. So you have to eat at least 20 bunches of bananas (maybe a bit more to kill yourself) in 10 minutes. Your body needs about 3-5 bananas daily to survive.
You will most likely vomit a few pounds of bananas and the rest goes down your digestive system as sewage. So you most likely wont be able to get halfway there.

August 17, 2013 at 3:23 pm
(223) Jodi S. says:

When my son was two years old, he used to eat at least 2 bananas a day ( and a third if he could get to it).
My daughter is allergic to bananas, so even one is too many.

August 22, 2013 at 10:29 am
(224) Divorced says:

My wife didn’t allow me to eat bananas – so I divorced her.

August 26, 2013 at 10:12 am
(225) Alan Drake Tyree says:

In her book The Complete Idiot’s Guide To Plant-based Nutrition released in 2011 on page 97, author Julieanna Hever says, “…monodieters may call 10 bananas breakfast. The goal is to optimize digestion and absorption.” With that said I’m starting my third week of eating 10 bananas for breakfast beginning at 1:00 PM CST, (i.e., if I am hungry enough to eat an apple then). I feel fine afterwords; sometimes, like the first time I did it, it made my head feel really good, kind of strong. So I keep doing it. So if you want to be a monodieter, I think it’s a good idea to eat 10 bananas for breakfast.

September 24, 2013 at 6:38 pm
(226) Crazy says:

well, it depends on your body type, some people are short small tall fat thin etc etc, everyone volume is different – goes for the same as protein, carbs fiber you need daily intake…

some people can eat 5 bananas, some can’t

September 26, 2013 at 4:30 pm
(227) Villian says:

I can understand eating one or two bananas a day. Especially if you are a bodybuilder or weightlifter and have a nice banana shake with protein powder after a workout. Or even just a regular everyday person eating one or two bananas a day.

But eating more than 2 bananas a day……..why? Just why?

September 29, 2013 at 4:20 pm
(228) Bananaman says:

Bananas give me incredible powers. I ate just over a hundred one day because I was saving loads of people from death. I can definitely say that you cannot overdose on bananas.

October 3, 2013 at 7:03 pm
(229) the future Ms. America says:

Obviously if you eat a bannana you get super powers. i ate 4 and i started floating no joke. then i ate a few more and shot laser out of my eyes. after about 10 more i was able to rise people from the dead.
EAT AS MANY BANNANAS AS YOUR STOMACH CAN HOLD!

October 14, 2013 at 11:23 am
(230) Joe says:

Ha! Bananas are good in potassium but their supposedly bad for you if you eat too many. So the problem is you eat too many bananas if you’re worrying about wheather or not you’re going to die. Three bananas should be plenty a day. I know this and I’m half your age. I’m 14 and guess what I’m a girl. My IQ level is 497 if you want to challenge me. I won’t give you my real name either.

October 17, 2013 at 7:00 am
(231) Garth Brooks says:

I eat a Banana Split every day from DQ. Have your way!

October 21, 2013 at 3:26 am
(232) lets have ganza says:

Hmm according to a recent study if a normal 22-26 yr aged person eats 24 bananas,,then he is likely to die in next 63-67 years. Hey is that the age a normal person die…..so cut crap guys….

October 24, 2013 at 4:28 pm
(233) jazmine says:

Reading this had me come to the conclusion on how my great uncle past away. I never new that eating too many bananas could kill you…I guess he didn’t either. He ate atleast 3 bananas a day, until one day my mom found him dead in his bedroom. The doctors said he had a heart attack but they didn’t know what caused it and neither did we.So for people who dont think bananas could kill you think twice & you might want to slow down on them.

November 4, 2013 at 10:03 am
(234) Nikki says:

You people have got to look up Free Lea the banana girl. Her diet consists of mainly bananas, shes been eating up to 50 bananas a day FOR YEARS and she is in FANTASTIC shape. Therefore I find it impossible for someone to eat “too many” bananas. (;

November 6, 2013 at 7:07 am
(235) Daisy says:

just to let you know guys. it’s 9 or more, depending on how your body works. just putting it out there

November 6, 2013 at 7:16 am
(236) mal says:

you all need to get a life

November 17, 2013 at 11:10 pm
(237) lyuda says:

this is just too fanny

November 19, 2013 at 4:53 am
(238) mark says:

LOL! Banananananananananaas

November 22, 2013 at 8:05 pm
(239) anny says:

I think it depends on how your body works because I have eaten a lot of bananas since I was little. I ate banana all day, whole bunch at a time! I am still alive and healthy. I love banana, every one says I am the monkey.
Anny

November 27, 2013 at 8:48 am
(240) FastSandslash says:

Okay, there are a few things which we need to model toxicity.

Firstly, it is the plasma conc. of potassium that is measured for toxicity (>6.5mmol/L). We need to know the volume of distribution, but then we also need to consider that potassium is pumped actively into cells (sodium-potassium ATPase), so that the volume that we intake does not necessarily reflect how much is in our plasma levels. Assuming hydrophilicity, Vd of 0.08 L/kg.

Secondly, we need to consider excretion of potassium. It is filtered out by the kidneys, and assuming that there is maximum filtration and no reabsorption (as you have excess K+, and your body tries to maintain homeostasis, resulting in little reabsorption), around 33g of K+ can be filtered out in a day.

Thirdly, we need to consider kidney function. Now, I remember somebody mentioning about how their grandparent died potentially from cardiac failure due to consuming three bananas a day. If a kidney is unhealthy, it might not filter out potassium as well. Therefore, the accumulation of potassium is likely to cause cardiac arrhythmias. As well, if you consume some blood pressure medications, it may also lead to hyperkalemia on average amounts of potassium.

Fourthly, although it should be earlier, how much potassium is absorbed by the body when consumed should be considered. According to R. Agarwal, the average person absorbs 90% of K+ in diet.

Assuming normal kidney function and the ability for the body to adapt to increased potassium levels, with one healthy person weighing 75 kg and one banana containing 400mg of potassium, and the Molar Mass of K+ = 39 gmol

75 kg = total volume of plasma ~6L of fluid. Maximum clearance assuming 33g/24= 1.375g in an hour. Assuming initial concentration of potassium in plasma is normal 4.8mmol/L and the excess intake of potassium required is 6.5-4.8=1.7mmol/L extra, this is 0.0017mol/L, and 0.0663 g/L.

]

November 27, 2013 at 8:49 am
(241) FastSandslash says:

. Assuming a person has 6 L, this is 0.3978 grams intake required to kill you if you had NO excretion of potassium whatsoever. So one banana can kill you if you have complete renal failure. But hey, you’d probably be dead anyway.

Continuing, intake has to be 1.375g (clearance in an hour) + 0.3978g extra required to OD on potassium. 1.7728g of potassium absorbed in one hour can kill you.

Further on, you need 1.7728g/90% (absorption factor), and you get 1.97g of potassium consumed within an hour. Five bananas in an hour will give you hyperkalemia.

Now, this is not counting the amount of K+ actively transported into your cells, and temporary, low-level hyperkalemia should not be too dangerous… BUT,

If you are consuming more than 5 bananas in an hour, for every hour of the day, that is a WHOPPING 120 bananas in a day, you are at high risk of cardiac arrhythmias.

So, essentially, how many bananas must you eat in a day to get hyperkalemic? 120. Good luck, guys. (That is slow poisoning, by the way. It means you are more likely to die of a random arrhythmia, not an immediate death.)

To die immediately, assuming potassium chloride IV death of 30 mg/kg, 75 kg = 2250 mg, but also assuming that chloride component is non-toxic, so ratioing molar mass of KCl, 39/74.55= 52.3% is K+, meaning, real toxic amount in person is 1177 mg for a 75 kg person. This, assuming subject to clearance over one hour of approx. 1.375g (1375mg), means that 2552 mg of K+ must be absorbed. Redo the 90% conversion (absorption rate) 2835mg of potassium in an hour. Huh. My calculations say that six and a half bananas (medium sized) should kill you if consumed it all in an hour.

Well, the other theory is that due to the research paper I quoted on absorption of K+ being 90%, was due to normal amounts of K+, so I suspect, there is a mechanism in the gut that decreases K+ absorption, once it reaches a certain threshold in the blood system.

November 27, 2013 at 8:50 am
(242) FastSandslash says:

Also forgot to mention peristalsis and other methods of gut motility that will vary absorption times. So, assuming that, double the lethal dose of bananas, assuming gut motility 30 mins, which is half an hour, therefore, lethal dose of bananas to die with is around 13 medium-large bananas *consumed* in an hour.

Yummm….

December 3, 2013 at 3:17 am
(243) Diesel says:

I’d be more concerned about the radioactivity from eating excessive amounts of Bananas and the potassium you’d have in your bloodstream from excessive over indulgence in eating said bananas. Not everyone would die as a result of over eating of bananas of course, however the increased risks can not be ignored. Too much of anything consumed is not ideal for a healthy functioning body. Just as too much water consumed you drown basically, too much air you develop problems breathing , same going with consuming too much elements in a body. BTW I wonder how much radioactivity say 7-8 bananas would produce hmmmmm interesting thought huh? I know one banana contains about 15 Bq of radioactivity or about 1/2 gram of potassium 40. Now forgive me as math is not my strong suit but if memory serves me correctly a Becquerel is about 1disintegration of an atom per second? an average human contains aprox. 169-170 grams of Potassium 40 in their body so that is more than 260,000 disintegrations per minute. More than 4000 disintegrations per second. WOW 7-8 bananas would and likely could cause some damage to your cells . Sorry for any mathematical errors as I stated not very good at math at all.

December 14, 2013 at 5:43 pm
(244) Jingle says:

I was made my smooth with 6 banana today and felt great, doing this everyday , help me to lost baby fat and feel full !!

December 18, 2013 at 4:02 pm
(245) Geno says:

Hey guys! ****READ ME****

just a little info, i eat around 10 nanners per day along with dates, potatoes, grains, tomatoes, kiwi….all fruits and veggies and im fine (8 months strong VEGAN). I am pretty active and do the following…rock climbing, cycling, weight training, running, along with other sports.

If you are seriously worried about eating to many nans then check out DURIANRIDERS CHANNEL this guys eats around 30 bananas per day and has been a fruitarian for almost 10 years. He is also a cyclist/runner.

December 27, 2013 at 1:38 pm
(246) nick says:

it’s not how many you can eat at one time, because you can only fit so much in your stomach… it’s how many you eat at a sustained amount over a week or a month. your body probably will adjust as best it could, but there is a limit to eating bananas before the sustained higher levels of K+ in your blood start to do some damage. your heart would be last affect, your muscles start twitching first. ATP and action potentials, people. once your muscles start twitching, then watch out! your heart might go next! that is if you haven’t vomited up your stomach contents of bananas!

January 8, 2014 at 2:15 pm
(247) Adam says:

I have been eating 15-20 bananas a day for many months and have had none of the problems I have read about in any of the number articles I’ve read.

January 15, 2014 at 11:06 pm
(248) Ares says:

All micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, water) have a recommended intake derived from the healthy population (Dietary Reference Intake). They also have an upper limit threshold which can promote poor health if pushed further. Potassium is used in your nerves and heart to depolarize membrane potentials – which leads to performing all types of actions, be it moving, thinking or breathing. Potassium is toxic in high doses (Hyperkalemia) as a high amount of extracellular potassium can prevent the heart from refracting. For healthy males and females above the age of 14, 4,700 mg of potassium is recommended. This would take about 10 bananas as an average 7″ banana has something around 400-500mg of potassium. Keep in mind this is recommended, not upper limit. I don’t know the upper limit off the top of my head, but any person who is not at risk for heart disease/diabetes should not be worried about how many bananas they eat.

January 18, 2014 at 1:52 pm
(249) Edvinas says:

This is nonsense. I used to eat 3 kg of bananas a week when i was in my first year at university. 1kg per day 3 times a week each week for half a year. To me this banana poison is ridiculous with no evidence or empirical research to back up your phony theory… banana poison. please…

January 31, 2014 at 11:09 am
(250) George N Ć says:

If you have prexisting conditions such as reflux then limit the number of bananas.

February 2, 2014 at 11:18 am
(251) IntoP13c3s says:

I have read at least 120 of all 250 readable comments, and have only found 1 single person who gave an educated answer.
I have to say, props FastSandslash!

I don’t understand why so many people react to a question that isn’t asked. The question isn’t wether you like bananas, or how many you eat on a daily basis (btw, that guy who knew someone who eats more than 100 bananas everyday, please tell him he has a weird eating habit), the question asked is how many one would have to eat to die.

And the only possible answer is that there are multiple answers, like FastSandslash stated. There are different values neccesary, depending on slow or quick death, current K-values in the blood, even other habits or eating other fruits can influence the outcome of this thesis.

With that, we will also have to take in account that no-one has the exact same amount of blood, nor the same blood-values. Ánd, the size, ripeness and even method of transportation of the bananas used to test the thesis can be of major influence to the outcome.

Long story short: thank you, FastSandslash, thanks to you i shall never eat more than 119 bananas within an hour.

February 5, 2014 at 6:43 am
(252) muralkrishna says:

murali.mumbai.dt.05-02-2014

one of my office friend daily eating 5Banana during the lunch time he is sitting with our friends during the lunch time, i come to know one Banana sugar cantains 18grams is it itrue ie 5X18=.90grams sugar.his age only 46years. he will took morning break fast, and nigt rice contains is the good for health eating 5Banana adviceme shall i tell my friend not to eat that much.

R

February 24, 2014 at 5:52 pm
(253) Mark Cosgrove says:

Your kidneys can easily excrete excess potassium. A cardiac arrest has never been induced by oral potassium. A rush of IV potassium can do the job nicely, oral potassium tablets can cause stomach cancer over many years and loads of bananas makes you slim, energetic and healthy by bulking up your stomach, giving you all the essential amino acids the body needs and giving you the energy to exercise. The kidneys can easily mop up excess potassium from fruit that’s why all over the world bananas are the staple foods for many people of many races.

March 17, 2014 at 9:02 pm
(254) Jeff says:

I eat 30 bananas a day! I buy them by the case. I still alive! I’m

April 13, 2014 at 10:06 am
(255) VAPOR says:

The real truth – meat will kill u – coffe n dairy products will fill u with sickness – im a 60 yr old super VEGAN been so for 20 yrs – do 25 -35. Bananas a day – hav six pak abs ride biks all day can keep up wth my 20 yr old kids – can kik ass over any 40 – 50 yr old meat eater – u ha prblm wth bananas come c if u can spend a day wth me and keep up