1. Education

Are you doing any holiday baking? If you find yourself having only baking soda and a recipe that calls for baking powder, or vice versa, do you know enough about cooking chemistry to make a substitution? You can substitute baking powder in place of baking soda, though you will need a bit more baking powder, because it contains additional ingedients. You can't directly substitute baking soda if you are out of baking powder. However, you can make your own baking powder, using two parts cream of tartar and one part baking soda. If you use homemade baking powder, be sure to bake your recipe right away after mixing the ingredients. There are commercial baking powders that will allow you to let a recipe sit for a while before baking, but it's generally a good plan to start heating the food immediately, since the reaction that causes baked goods to rise starts as soon as the wet ingredients are added. Learn more...

Comments

September 5, 2012 at 4:31 pm
(1) Barb says:

This is a great site I am glad I found it. It will really come in handy. Thank you for sharing your knolage.

October 24, 2012 at 5:24 am
(2) Bruce says:

Isn’t salt also included in Baking Powder?

December 9, 2012 at 5:49 pm
(3) holly says:

Knowledge

February 22, 2013 at 4:10 pm
(4) Eleni says:

It happened! I was ready to pull my hair! The store was closed! Disaster!
The Baking Powder was nowhere to be found! I was so sure that I had at home, I always carry extra supplies of the basics so that I donot have to pull hair. Well, Thanks to Google, I found YOU!!!! Thank you so much for “saving the day.”. It is true when they say, “you learn something new every day!”. Thank you Ms. Helmenstine.

April 7, 2013 at 9:40 pm
(5) Kristine says:

Dr. Helmenstine, not Ms.

April 23, 2013 at 12:30 pm
(6) Who cares says:

Ms. or Dr. she has both titles…mission accomplished troll

July 24, 2013 at 12:49 am
(7) lulu isgod says:

if we are out of baking powder what makes you think that we would have cream of tartar laying around.

July 31, 2013 at 6:47 pm
(8) frustrated says:

What lulu said. I have never owned cream of tartar, and I’ve never had to use it in anything. Now I’m dying to make a delicious beer bread, and I have no baking powder, just baking soda. And obviously, do not have cream of tartar.

August 6, 2013 at 9:28 am
(9) Lenore says:

Ask the neighbor for a little baking powder …works for me!

August 26, 2013 at 12:42 pm
(10) paul says:

ok I wanted to know if I could substitute baking soda for baking power I know you can to the opposite but what is the fomula for using baking soda for the baking powder

September 11, 2013 at 11:53 am
(11) Chuck Hamerson says:

I use cheese whiz instead of cream or tartar.

September 16, 2013 at 1:02 pm
(12) Elizabeth says:

I had to run out of baking powder to find out here that making your own baking powder is so easy. I have started pancakes and NO BAKING POWDER. I have cream of tartar, so I am thrilled. THANKS!

September 21, 2013 at 2:01 pm
(13) SkeeterN says:

I knew baking powder was a mix of baking soda and cream of tartar but didn’t know the ratios. I was actually doing it backwards. 2 parts Baking soda to one part cream of tartar. It came out pretty good but glad to have this.

Thanks.

November 4, 2013 at 8:26 am
(14) Lisa says:

Would using apple cider vinegar work for the acid?

December 26, 2013 at 6:39 pm
(15) Christopher says:

This was the first time I had ever used a “substitute” for my cornbread recipe. I swear it made it fluffier and even moister than usual. I may just use it from now on (as long as I have Cream of Tarter in the cupboard)!

March 27, 2014 at 7:50 am
(16) David Melcher says:

Thanks for your online advice..Dave. I have always kept the staples,,but ran out this time,,& all the stores were closed,Thanks again.