1. Education

Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.

Why You Shouldn't Mix Bleach and Ammonia - Bleach and Ammonia Chemical Reactions

By August 20, 2010

Mixing bleach with ammonia is a bad plan because it releases toxic vapors, but not so much the chlorine gas that seems to be discussed all over the internet. The production of significant amounts of chlorine is unlikely. Now, the bleach does react (with just about anything) to form chlorine gas and acid (mainly hydrochloric acid), but the chlorine gas doesn't stick around. The mixture of bleach and ammonia primarily produces chloramine, with a possibility of some hydrazine.

Chemicals Involved

Note that each and every one of these chemicals is toxic, except for the water and salt.
  • NH3 = ammonia
  • HCl = hydrochloric acid
  • NaOCl = sodium hypochlorite (bleach)
  • Cl = chlorine
  • Cl2 = chlorine gas
  • NH2Cl = chloramine
  • N2H4 = hydrazine
  • NaCl = sodium chloride or salt
  • H2O = water

Likely Chemical Reactions from Mixing Bleach and Ammonia

The bleach decomposes to form hydrochloric acid, which reacts with ammonia to form toxic chloramine fumes:

First the hydrochloric acid is formed:

NaOCl → NaOH + HOCl

HOCl → HCl + O

And then the ammonia and chlorine gas react to form chloramine, which is released as a vapor:

NaOCl + 2HCl → Cl2 + NaCl + H2O

2NH3 + Cl2 → 2NH2Cl

If ammonia is present in excess (which it may or may not be, depending on your mixture), toxic and potentially explosive liquid hydrazine may be formed. While impure hydrazine tends not to explode, it's still toxic, plus it can boil and spray hot toxic liquid.

2NH3 + NaOCl → N2H4 + NaCl + H2O

What to Do If You Mix Bleach and Ammonia - First Aid

If you do accidentally become to exposed to fumes from mixing bleach and ammonia, immediately remove yourself from the vicinity to fresh air and seek emergency medical attention. The vapors can attack your eyes and mucous membranes, but the biggest threat comes from inhaling the gases.
  1. Get away from the site where the chemicals were mixed. You can't call for help if you are overwhelmed by the fumes.

2. Call 911 for emergency help. If you really don't think it's that bad, then at least call Poison Control for advice on handling the after-effects of exposure and cleaning up the chemicals. The number for Poison Control is:1-800-222-1222

3. If you find someone who you think has mixed bleach and ammonia, chances are he or she will be unconscious. If you can, remove the person to fresh air, preferably outdoors. Call 911 for emergency assistance. Do not hang up until instructed to do so.

4. Thoroughly ventilate the area before returning to dispose of the liquid. Seek specific instructions from Poison Control so that you don't hurt yourself. You're most likely to make this mistake in a bathroom or kitchen, so leave and seek assistance, return later to open a window, allow time for the fumes to dissipate, and then go back to clean up. Dilute the chemical mixture with plenty of water. Wear gloves, just as you would for either bleach or ammonia.

Reader Input and Advice

If you have had experience with mixing bleach and ammonia or you are a chemist with further information about the chemical reactions involved in the bleach-ammonia mixture, please post a reply.

Comments

August 25, 2010 at 11:43 pm
(1) Ryan in Florida says:

Whoops. When I was about 12 a friend and I mixed these two chemicals on the patio to make some “smoke”. An hour or so later, with the 2 chemicals still “smoking” on the patio, we went to bed with the window open to the patio. In the morning I woke to a very sore throat. I then realized what I had done and prayed that I would not soon die. I am still here, but learned a lesson about the toxicity of this mixture.

October 21, 2010 at 10:09 pm
(2) jamez says:

We call it mustard gas. My daughter-in-law made some this afternoon cleaning the tub. She’s lucky to be alive.

October 23, 2010 at 6:32 pm
(3) torben says:

23 oct 2010: Mixing of the two: Bleach and ammonia can solve a big problem: How to get rid of gofers and moles.
I tried almost all methods to get rid of gofers. Drowning, trapping and the vibrating gofer stick that does not work. Nothing worked. Then I poured 1 gallon of bleach down the gofer hole and then one gallon of ammonia and coverede the hole. No more gofers. This works but of course be careful. DO NOT BREATHE THE VAPORS!.

August 22, 2011 at 3:18 pm
(4) dan says:

I WANT YOU TO KILL EVERY GOPHER ON THE COURSE!!
Excuse me if I’m wrong, but if I kill every golfer on the course, they’re gonna lock me up and throw away the key.

September 12, 2011 at 1:25 pm
(5) Ben says:

You are an idiot. You think it is OK to release toxic chemicals into the ground to solve a gopher problem? I hear Carcinogens are good for gophers too, perhaps napalm, OH even better if there is a nuclear facility near by Im sure some toxic waste will git rid of dem pesky critters! HAaYUCK

Sorry about the leukemia little billy… we had gophers.

September 23, 2011 at 2:17 pm
(6) drea757 says:

or even worse the gophers that survive might give birth to mutant gopher babies who grow up resenting the human race and start plotting their revenge … could this be the start of WW3… I can already see the irony

November 24, 2010 at 2:22 pm
(7) db says:

I did this in 5th grade when it was my summer job to clean the house. I didn’t realize it was dangerous, I just thought that if both cleaned well, then mixing them together would also clean well. I just remember a strong burning sensation in my mouth, throat, lungs, eyes, nose and having trouble breathing. I managed to get out of the house and gasp for air a bit and started to feel better. After awhile, I went back in the house and dumped the mix down the drain with lots of water and went back to work.

November 24, 2010 at 4:25 pm
(8) kate says:

Torben, you are a disgustingly cruel person.

August 3, 2011 at 3:09 pm
(9) K says:

No he’s not. Gofers dig holes under your house until one day. Bam your house falls in.

September 26, 2011 at 3:51 am
(10) Jerry says:

I knew those golfers were devious!

November 29, 2010 at 7:46 pm
(11) lolsack says:

this one day, i was cleaning my bathroom, and i mixed bleach and ammonia together, and because my kids were being annoying, i locked them both in the bathroom containing the bleach and ammonia, they both died terribly slow deaths, i am much happier without them to this day! :D

April 21, 2011 at 7:13 pm
(12) ... says:

This is not funny..

April 28, 2011 at 7:11 pm
(13) ... says:

ditto

July 7, 2011 at 11:41 am
(14) ......... says:

lol. thats funny.

September 23, 2011 at 3:01 pm
(15) drea757 says:

I hope its still funny when your buring in HELL!

August 4, 2011 at 11:33 pm

(19) Rob says:

Ann Marie, you have performed an amazing feat. You say:

Likely Chemical Reactions from Mixing Bleach and Ammonia

First the hydrochloric acid is formed:
NaOCl → NaOH + HOCl
HOCl → HCl + O

In my 40 year career as an industrial chemist I have never met anyone before who could take two alkaline materials (sodium hypochlorite and ammonium hydroxide) and mix them together to form an acid! I have a favor to ask – I have a large lead brick that I would like to send you so you can turn it into gold for me. I’ll help you with the equation: Lead + magic = gold

February 13, 2011 at 5:19 am
(20) Dave says:

Rob, i think she means:
NaOCl + H2O -> NaOH +HOCl,
followed by the decomposition of HOCl into HCl, which is a perfectly valid rxn.

February 18, 2011 at 5:51 pm
(21) fartfignutron says:

some day i hope to be as good a chemist as Rob when i grow up so i can be a uppity prick too! aw shucks your my hero Rob.

February 22, 2011 at 3:49 pm
(22) Rob says:

Fartfignutron -

Your point is well taken. I should have left the sarcasm out and made a professional statement instead. I apologize for the tone of my comment.

June 18, 2011 at 12:31 am
(23) Tibs says:

…Is your offer for the lead+magic reaction still open?

August 27, 2011 at 1:33 pm
(24) mayhem says:

Very professional apology. Personally I thought it was great what you said, but some people don’t get sarcasm

February 25, 2011 at 1:06 pm
(25) jscio says:

gets rid of squirrels too!

September 12, 2011 at 1:40 am
(26) dave says:

It sure does! but you gotta be quick..

February 26, 2011 at 2:49 am
(27) Farva says:

Sounds like I soon won’t have to pay alimony….

September 1, 2011 at 11:17 pm
(28) hahaha says:

Hahaha ^_^

April 17, 2011 at 10:27 am
(29) Shiloh says:

To Kate, even though your comment was in November 2010. I guess you’ve never had gophers or moles in your yard, garden,etc. I used to flood them out, then hit them with a shovel. Wow, bleach and amonia is so much easier – and I don’t have to wash the shovel afterwards. Disgustingly cruel, perhaps, but efficient.

May 8, 2011 at 12:12 pm
(30) Jacob says:

Geez Shiloh that makes me want to find somewhere with a lot of gophers to conduct a study on which is more effective. I imagine DYNOMIIIIIIITE would work. In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, ‘Au revoir, gopher’!!!!

People are just so sensitive to stupid things, gophers may be cute or whatever, but what is the last thing the little fuzzy bastard did for you?

July 31, 2011 at 12:37 am
(31) flipizz says:

Those little bastards killed my mums tree, then they attract the rattlesnakes, and leave the yard with tunnels which my family falls in through and can hurt themselves, then they leave mounds of dirt everywhere, naawww but they cute! No. They’re PESTS even though I hate to think of any creature losing its life

September 23, 2011 at 2:52 pm
(32) drea757 says:

They supplied my family with food during the great depression and the dirty thirties (they are actually great cooks)… They nurse sick children back to health with their smiles and rainbow filled eyes… you sick sick basterds!

May 9, 2011 at 2:23 am
(33) 375handhshooter says:

Wow you guys are lazy, I just sit and wait with my .223 more fun that way. Also get a tiny pelt to.

October 2, 2011 at 7:11 pm
(34) hick44 says:

if you know where both ends of the tunnel are then pour a bit of gas down one side then light the other

June 19, 2011 at 11:29 pm
(35) Dumb ass in Montana says:

Well, I must say that I have never heard of this before and yes; I did graduate. My very first experience with this concoction happened today. I threw some household bleach in the toilet, left it for a while and then threw in some “works” a toilet boil cleaner, well…… the rest is pretty funny when I look back now, but I thought I was surely going to die, it took my breath away and penetrated my nostrils something fierce!!!! I thought for sure I made mustard gas, holy cheezits!

I ran for the patio door and sucked in some clean fresh air for about 15 mins, the grabbed a towel and went in to disarm this evil substance before “what I thought” would be the end of my bathroom; but also thinking if I flushed it….. would my septic blow up????? omg! whatever, I had to get rid of the toxic substance before my beloved kitty cats got a wiff. So I went in armed with a towel tightly tied across my nose, flushed the toilet once and ran! Came back and took the toilet brush and swished it around and flushed again and ran!!! I opened all the windows and doors and called a friend in Florida and told her, she laughed and me, she told me that she did the exact same thing a couple of years ago……. I beg of you, please don’t expose anyone to this, be they a human or an animal, rodent or whatever, it’s just nasty!!!!!

July 18, 2011 at 1:03 am
(36) Kyle says:

um HOCl → HCl + O ????

I’d like to see you try to rip apart OCl- without hydrochloric acid to begin with.
The proper equilibrium is:
HOCl OCl- + H+

HCl is never formed when NaOCl is mixed with water, and chlorine gas can only be formed using HCl as a reactant.

September 9, 2011 at 12:06 am
(37) B-RYE says:

How about this for all you chemists? Ammonia + bleach= not feeling good if you inhale.

I love the race to show who’s the smartest yet the only one right is the author.

September 9, 2011 at 9:41 pm
(38) JH says:

Rob, Well said. There should be more men as big as you in this life.

October 20, 2011 at 8:43 am
(39) dkirb says:

Question for all you brainiacs? I have mice urin in my walls(we’re remolding) and want to clean it with bleach. The only problem is that Mice urin contains Amonia. Is this still a haz-mat stituation with such small amounts.

October 27, 2011 at 5:16 pm
(40) Andrew says:

Several years ago, when I was newly married, I’m not sure if my wife wanted me to do a good job cleaning the toilet, or just kill me off. She told me the bathroom already had the chemicals ready, and with an awkward smile told me I could get started. Afterward, I began stirring the toilet, when all of a sudden extreme vapors overtook me and almost knocked me out. I barely made it out of the tiny bathroom to get some fresh air. Once I caught my breath I asked her what she put in the toilet. She said, “bleach and ammonia.” Apparently, no one ever told her this was a bad idea. I don’t clean toilets anymore.

October 28, 2011 at 12:55 am
(41) Kendrick Ngo says:

YOU rock Mr. signor

November 4, 2011 at 11:09 am
(42) lowrah says:

Are you all saying it will kill you or just make you feel bad for a little time?

November 21, 2011 at 4:31 pm
(43) oneleggedgimp says:

I did this to get rid of the mice in my pole shed (100×30). It worked extremely well. Wearing a respriator I poured a gallon of both into a galvanized steel tub. This mixture killed every rodent and insect in the shop. I did it on a Sunday and by the following Friday it was totally aired out and I was left to clean up the carnage. A five gallon pail full of carcass’. I still don’t seem to have a rodent problem anymore.

November 26, 2011 at 6:04 am
(44) tmar says:

Getting a cat to hunt them works to. And not only are you getting rid of pests you’re saving cats lives. Yay for ideas that don’t destroy the earth.

December 14, 2011 at 12:21 pm
(45) Jackie says:

So through out everything that you all are mentioning no one is sharing how its treated. Forget about the formula. In all honesty the easiest thing to make is the Cl2. I didn’t have much of a huge mixture but the gas from it was so strong. I stayed in my house trying to delute it. Eventually I gave up when my eyes were burning and I could barely breathe. Now I am sitting in the emergency room terrified. So can some braniac explain how its treated so some of us stop freaking out. How long should the symptoms last before we seek medical attention.

I also think the acid comes first then the gas thankfully I didn’t touch the gas. People really don’t know the potency of mixing things like common household products. I have a business admin bachlor degree and also in accounting. This was never covered in my honors chem class and I’m pretty smart.

Thanks for the advice and can we please not talk about killing animals. This stuff is potient so be careful it can kill anything.

All I was trying to do was kills some ants and spiders coming from the window. I think I succeeded.

December 21, 2011 at 7:29 pm
(46) jeremiah says:

It should be noted that cat pee has lots of ammonia, so no cleaning the litterbox with bleach cleaning products.

December 21, 2011 at 7:34 pm
(47) Cherish says:

No one ever told me not to mix Bleach and Ammonia together.!! Last year my grandmum was sleep, so I was doing the dishes before I went to bed also. There was a god awful stain in the pan so I put bleach in it to get rid of it. (Ya know, like other people do). Then I thought that since Ammonia was also strong (and I have seen my grandmum put a little in the dish water) I thought that would help to.

I put the Ammonia in the same pan as the bleach and it started fizzling. I know it didnt look right, but I did not know what to do, so I just stood over the pot and stared at it.!

I was on facebook while I was doing the dishes so I left the kitchen for 5 miuutes and got back on the computer. Things didnt look right in the pot when I went back. I got a bit dizzy and got scared. I did not know what to do and I did not want to wake my grandmum. I ended up messaging my best friend and he told me about everything. Also told me to open up the front room windows and let it air out. I stayed up for a little while longer then went to bed.

The next morning while my grandmum was doing the laundry with the beach, she told me that Ammonia and Bleach DO NOT! Mix together.

I know I’ll never Mixx those things again -__-

December 23, 2011 at 1:48 am
(48) ObviousMan says:

Hmmm, how about we just read the warning labels on these products?

January 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm
(49) ObviousMan2 says:

Lol Obvious man thats the best advice on here. I mean christ people. They put the caution and warnings on there for a reason. TO READ!

January 11, 2012 at 6:58 am
(50) Jonni says:

I don’t mind gophers or squirrels but would it be effective to rid us of the kardashians? Not that I’m planning anything…

January 13, 2012 at 4:15 pm
(51) Donni says:

>>to rid us of the kardashians?

Interesting ….. if we could find their hole, I’d be willing to dump in the ammonia and the bleach! ;-)

Is anyone else surprised that Bruce Jenner is associated with those clowns..

January 23, 2012 at 12:37 am
(52) Karan Bhatia says:

it jsut happened with my dad last night, while in the bathroom he thought it would be a great cleaning solution to pour acid over a toilet bowl where bleach has already been sprinkled, he had to get the nebulizer and oxygen. Basically, the acid was home-use grade HCL, and bleach is well simply put solidified chlorine mixed with water. So when acid if poured onto bleach (ironically in this case the acid was HCL) then chlorine is released and then that chlorine inhaled combines with water cells in the body lungs etc and forms HCL. So the acid inside the airways causes the burning feeling and feeling very bad.

January 26, 2012 at 10:10 am
(53) Joan says:

Seven years ago a co-worker who also works in housekeeping brought cotton mop heads from school where she also works and threw them in the washer off the kitchen where I was working. She added bleach and went off to work in another room. All of a sudden I could not breath…I ran from the room to the office told the girls there I was getting out of there. On my way out I opened windows, turned on stove overhead fan…left the back door open and went home. Turned out the mops had been used with an amonia cleaner. I had lung nodules five years ago and again have some. Now I have just been diagnosed with Asthma.. My Pulmonologist told me my problem was from something I inhaled. The only thing was this incident. So if you have inhaled this stuff it may come back to haunt you. This is a deadly mixture and no joking matter.

January 31, 2012 at 5:00 am
(54) That guy says:

The combo was also used as “punishment” aka torture in David Pelzer’s A Child Called “It”.

February 6, 2012 at 11:31 pm
(55) goodbye_everyone says:

so if i run to the store and get a gallon of each, lock myself in my room and dump them both in a 5gallon pail, i can shed this mortal coil? or will it just make me sick? i wanna do this right without a gun, guns are messy and dont wanna burden some poor sap with cleaning brains off the ceiling or my last meal off the floor. (if u catch my drift)

February 7, 2012 at 4:59 pm
(56) nooooo don't kill yourself says:

If you’re still alive, I care! Don’t do it!

February 8, 2012 at 9:17 pm
(57) Mike says:

What was that crazy person up at the top all tree huggy about, my God, the dude just said it was a good way to get rid of some critters, and someone unglued themselves from a tree long enough to comment, oh those poor Critters, and all the kids in the USA are going to get Lukemia, Get a life, your gonna get lukemia from the chemicals that already reside in that bottled water you drink, OH BUT BOTTLED WATER IS SOO GOOD FOR ME< no its not, and its not good for your mother, the earth.

March 6, 2012 at 6:49 am
(58) observer says:

GASP! so many trolls… finding it hard to breath here… tell my wife… obvious trolls are obvious…

April 6, 2012 at 7:21 am
(59) Good To Know says:

That’s a good idea torben! Thanks for the tip.

April 23, 2012 at 12:07 am
(60) MmmmmmmmmmmmMmmmmmmMmmmmmmMmm says:

So this stuff makes chemicals that combine with water in the lungs to make hydrochloric acid. The way that it kill is it literally dissolves the lungs and causes death from bleeding in the lungs and asphyxiation. I know not everyone here is a vegan, but I think that we can agree that dissolving an animal’s lungs and mucous membranes with hydrochloric acid is a horribly cruel and inhumane form of pest control.

April 26, 2012 at 9:05 pm
(61) h-olo says:

Snakes kill gophers. =)

April 29, 2012 at 3:52 am
(62) Youknowwho says:

Hey guys, what’s….oh.

May 2, 2012 at 12:00 am
(63) Deee says:

Considered educated – Bleach, windex,etc… – I live— with the results every day -truth-draziwfozo@yahoo.com

May 3, 2012 at 10:40 am
(64) JD says:

I pump propane gas into the burrows and light them up….they move out very quickly and are BBQ’d ready to eat.

July 31, 2012 at 11:53 pm
(65) J in Jersey says:

Ha. Ya’ll kill me. Since when is lighting up a fuel filled tunnel of unknown size a good idea?

August 1, 2012 at 2:08 am
(66) John says:

My mom always used massive amounts of bleach to clean the toilets in our restrooms growing up and sometimes she would forget to flush when she was done. Imagine my surprise when halfway through a poop, right after I’d start to piss, I’d hear a fizzing sound and wake up on the floor in front of the pooper, un-wiped twenty minutes later. I never learned to check first and after a while I thought she was doing it on purpose. Ohh ho ho, good one Mom, got me again…

August 12, 2012 at 11:36 pm
(67) GrowUp says:

Seriously? If you want to be a comic – find an audience that is looking for laughs. And you who would use anything for animal cruelty, just stick to your perverse web sites. Oh, wait…..am I seriously trying to communicate with grownups with the “I HAVE to be the Village IDIOT” syndrome? Nevermind. You could NEVER respect anyone or anything. Maybe someday you will Grow Up!

August 16, 2012 at 12:41 am
(68) elculoloco says:

Oh grow up pansy this entire page is full of useful information and funny ways to kill gofers

August 21, 2012 at 7:30 am
(69) AAAVegas says:

This is one of the lamest conversations I’ve every scrolled through.

September 2, 2012 at 7:58 pm
(70) Brian Ashby says:

By the time I scrolled all the way through comments, I was really surprised no one had mentioned the obvious fact that it is idiotic to pour any kind of chemicals onto or in the ground, where they will more than likely eventually reach an aquifer, which is also likely to be tapped with a well somewhere.
Unless you have a death wish, or you just hate humanity, don’t poison our water!!!!!

September 15, 2012 at 2:44 am
(71) Wow says:

I can’t believe I scrolled through all of these comments. Here goes…

1. It’s spelled “gophers” you f*cking idiots.
2. If you poured such noxious chemicals into the earth, someone is going to ingest it in the near future and hopefully it’s you. It doesn’t just “go away”.
3. Not a good way to off yourself. You’ll just die years later of lung cancer and that’s so cliché. Try carbon monoxide asphyxiation. It’s easy, cheap and painless. Plus, what logical human would leave this earth with a tank of gas!? No brainer, bro
4. Hick44 is the simplest idiot in this convo.
5. f*ck gophers, regardless.

September 15, 2012 at 11:35 pm
(72) goferMOLESTER says:

Can you substitute ammonia with piss, because I got allot of it.
If so what would be the bleach to piss ratio?

October 3, 2012 at 10:25 am
(73) oh crap! says:

Well, very old thread, and im going back a ways here, but going back to the post goodbye everyone. It will really just make u sick, least if u mix it in the toilet. Maybe it was just way too diluded, but was a very regrettable experience, and not an answer. Ull juat wake up the next morning so ill ull really really wish it had worked. Not to say how i know this…

October 23, 2012 at 10:47 am
(74) Tony says:

You mean hypochlorous acid, not hydrochloric acid

October 23, 2012 at 3:14 pm
(75) poor oh crap says:

Quit trying to off yourself. Think about your family and friends and the people who love you. Stop being so selfish. Think about the pain and sadness ending your life will cause to everyone around you. If your that depressed, reach out for someone to talk to, like you’re doing on here. Funeral expenses are expensive, and losing a child (you are someones child) is hearwrenching. So quiturbitchin and get some help.

October 27, 2012 at 4:53 am
(76) wow. says:

I inhaled this today.Not a good feeling.but that’s no longer a concern for me at the moment.What concerns me is everyone that commented is grown at least between 30-60…damn the rodents.I feel sorry for the kids they raised

November 4, 2012 at 6:27 pm
(77) P-Chem (year 3) says:

Damn! Come on I just started doing chemistry and this was the first thing I learned! And no not from experience just from common sense hahaha

December 24, 2012 at 5:00 am
(78) ashbash says:

I mixed these 2 on accident the cleaner fell in with the bleach we flushed a few times opened windows turned on 2 fans. I was wondering is this going to make my toilet act wiered

December 29, 2012 at 5:31 am
(79) lchingandu@yahoo.com says:

Hi

This issue is not a joke. Last night I spend the night on oxygen, nebulizer, IV steroids because I mixed a bleach, an acid toilet cleaner and ammonium based cleaner to clean my bathroom. The stuff hissed and produced fumes and yellow froth which I Inhaled. I went out and returned twice to finish the cleaning, silly of course. I didn’t finish but started coughing badly and frothing from my mouth

I took milk and steamed myself- another mistake, two hours later I had pain in my chest and my chest felt heavy. The pain progressively got worse until I was taken to the emergency rooms. Chest X-rays showed cnstriction of my brochials and changes in my lungs. Ian lucky to be alive and caused my family a night on my bedside and a spoiled holiday.

Can any chemist tell me what product I produced and if I should expect future problems with my lungs

LB

January 17, 2013 at 3:11 am
(80) Brian says:

Me and my friends used to get high from bleach and ammonia and sometimes gasoline and mushrooms

January 18, 2013 at 8:50 am
(81) michelle says:

Yes, I just wanted to clean the bath tub and used toilet bowl cleaner (almost the whole container) then I thought this is not going to get clean, so I poured little bleach on top n started scrubbing, after 2 to 3 min I had to get OUT of the bathroom. After 1 hour I called 911, they checked all my vitals But today my lungs HURT so bad and I can hardly cough. I hope this gets better…Maybe I should of went to the hospital. I am if this does not get better

January 21, 2013 at 12:49 am
(82) Iain says:

referring to 2nd or 3rd comment (can’t remember which):

Look, this is not producing mustard gas… Mustard gas has sulfur in it. There is no sulfur in this reaction. You probably heard that from King of the Hill where they clearly do not look up their facts. That isn’t your fault, but I just wanted to correct it. Hope that clears some things up.

February 3, 2013 at 8:23 am
(83) Just jiit says:

I’m not gonna lie reading this was so funny first of all there’s no gophers around me lol now when I ever see one I remember the first few comments from here

February 6, 2013 at 1:13 am
(84) Kill The Little Bastards says:

Where is PETA? Ohhh… PETA…. PETA…. PETA…
100 Ways To Kill A Gopher…..
1. Bleach & Ammonia
2.Dynamite
3. Rodenator… Gotta Watch The Video… http://www.Rodenator.com
4. Cyanide smoke bombs
5. Electric Fence, 3 Ft. Metal Probes Spaced 10ft. apart… watch them climb out of the ground.
6.Lawn Mower with metal flex pipe connected to muffler shoved in hole.
7. Nitrogen gas – Environmentally friendly- Non toxic – But will kill them
8. Phosgene Gas – Ask your refrigeration mechanic about it.
9. Tear Gas Canister In Hole – Smack them in the head when they come up for air.
10. Co2 Tank with hose in tunnels. Saturate tunnels to suffocate.
11. Some PETA Chick In A Gopher Fur Coat… That will scare them to death…. Or for that matter just some dumb nude PETA Chick…..

Ohh well… there must be 1,000 ways to kill the little bastards… anyone else is welcome to continue the list… I’m tired…

February 17, 2013 at 6:27 am
(85) SASQUATCHES SWEATY BALL SACK says:

I am never mixing these two products together after reading all of these comments left before me. Thank you to all the idiots of the world.

March 10, 2013 at 12:08 pm
(86) Wolfgang says:

…the mixture makes one sweet laxative

March 30, 2013 at 11:26 am
(87) London Dude says:

comment 84 is just viciously sexist and dumb… i can’t believe i just read that

March 30, 2013 at 11:42 am
(88) nitroman says:

to lchingandu@yahoo.com: the stuff you made from bleach, ammonia AND acid, is still our friend – chloramine the poison gas! I thought that acid will up and increasing yield. so what you’ve stumbled upon is a super-efficient way of making chloramine (but of course the froth of your mouth is the best proof – points to you for being alive O.o)
w/respect to future problems if your lungs and you were healthy before you shouldn’t expect problems… there was one guy in the comments above who got asthma afterwards, so as a precaution you can take up jogging for a week or two, reinvigorate your lungs and make them healthier

April 26, 2013 at 12:44 am
(89) ihatemylife says:

can i use this stuff to die quickly and how painful would it be?

May 4, 2013 at 8:14 pm
(90) David Baszucki says:

Mixing Bleach and Ammonia is super dangerous. Don’t ever do it!!

Feel free to say that I’m the creator of roblox :3

May 27, 2013 at 5:40 am
(91) Dave T says:

I make chlorine gas, or as some of you – including myself – refer to as mustard gas (it comes to mind easier and rolls off the tongue). We use it out at our cabins we have in the country to kill gophers and no, I’m not one bit worried about what it will “harm”. It’s a gas, it cannot get very deep into the soil and it works very well. We also use it for other things, but I probably shouldn’t say any more.

May 29, 2013 at 10:55 am
(92) brainiac - NOT says:

nice to see this thread lives on- one gasping whiff after I did it – i thought this is exactly the household chemical reaction we have all been warned about. too bad the ammonium product i was using didn’t mention it- but through teary eyes- it was clear what happened.

my squirrel friends, reading over my shoulder, are nodding their heads- of course. (why would anyone want to kill squirrels?)

June 8, 2013 at 4:33 pm
(93) oldhousefixer says:

Tearing up an old subfloor I found mildew/mold on the underside. The original tongue and groove pine below the subfloor was in good shape but had some dark spots that I thought was mold. Easy fix – bleach. Done it before and works like a charm. This time the bleach started bubbling as I painted it over the floor. My respirator kept most of the fumes out but I noticed an odd smell and my eyes began tearing. Not good. I opened windows and doors then it hit me – long ago (the house is close to a hundred years old) the owners had used ammonia as a cleaner and it had soaked into the pine.Ammonia +bleach= NASTY stuff and it can come back to bite you after a long time. Word to the wise, test a small spot and if it starts bubbling …..

June 14, 2013 at 2:03 pm
(94) TrueStory says:

I once died from mixing ammonia and bleach.

June 15, 2013 at 11:44 pm
(95) Dizzy91 says:

Wow. This is the craziest thread I’ve ever seen. I came home tonight and didn’t realize that my mom had poured bleach in the toilet to soak. I sat down to pee and within a moment I heard this strange hissing noise. When I stood and turned to look into the bowl and see what was going on, I accidentally got a whiff of whatever was produced. I flushed, cut on the fan, and ran from the bathroom without even pulling up my pants. My friends think I’m being paranoid, but it is now about two hours later and my head is still a little swimmy, my nose still burns a little, and I can still smell the stuff.
My question is: what are the longterm effects of inhaling a small amount of this gas? Are there any warning signs that I should look for in myself? I hate to think that this accidental encounter will lead to a long time watch and wait situation where my lungs and/or mucous membranes are concerned. Thank you all for the crazy comments, they really lightened me up about the whole situation. And even bigger thanks to anyone who can ease my concerns.

June 17, 2013 at 7:10 pm
(96) Mad Scientist of the Maintenance Closet says:

Bleach + Ammonia = Irritating, Nasty, Zippy Little Molecules.

Not good for the eyeballs.

June 21, 2013 at 11:34 pm
(97) Teal says:

Hehe. I made the idiotic mistake of doing this yesterday at my work place. I am lucky that I wasn’t unconscious. I think I escaped the fumes faster than they could have made me pass out. I wasn’t lucky because I work at a laboratory. I have to miss work for the next couple of days and am not too happy about my mistake. I think it was ammonia? It was a dark blue substance inside of a large graduated cylinder. I made the mistake of pouring water in to dilute the solution. Just, next time, know the facts before you make the mistake of that again. >< If you leave the proximity of the fumes in under two minutes, you should be all right, but that's not definite. Well, until later folks!

June 29, 2013 at 11:31 am
(98) Copper says:

I manage a mobile home community and was told by a maintenance man to mix these two ingrediants together (1 gal each) to get rid of bedbugs/roaches in vacant homes. Will this mixture work?

July 27, 2013 at 1:39 pm
(99) Mark says:

I’m an Animal Control officer, anyone who mixes Ammonia & Bleach to get rid of a pest better check themselves into a locked door facility because they clearly don’t have the level mindedness to do things like operate a car/truck/motorcycle/etc…or even be out in the general public at all

August 5, 2013 at 4:36 pm
(100) michael says:

mixing ammonia with bleach makes mustard gas a highly dangerous gas that was used in world war 1

August 15, 2013 at 10:42 pm
(101) Tristan says:

When I was in college, I worked in a restaurant. One afternoon the men’s bathroom sink got clogged and the manager poured bleach down the drain. When that didn’t work he poured liquid Drano down the sink. In about six minutes we had to drag him out of the bathroom and rush him to the urgent care. The vapors burned his eyes and the linings of his nose and throat. Brutal.

August 20, 2013 at 11:34 pm
(102) concerned collede kid says:

My mom was at the store today and watched a man purchase ammonia, bleach, vinegar, and drano should we be concerned??

August 28, 2013 at 9:27 pm
(103) Paint huffer says:

Can this make you get high?

September 4, 2013 at 6:59 pm
(104) @teal says:

NO! DONT KILL YERSELF

September 4, 2013 at 7:01 pm
(105) worried 5th grader says:

as i am typing this someone is going into our air vent room with bleach and ammonia…

September 5, 2013 at 1:51 am
(106) Kitty says:

Thank you for the info and the jokes. And if anyone in here feels sad, please spend some time on finding a pro-bono psychologist online, jump up and down on your bed or the floor or just go jogging, do some physical exercise or dance like a madman/madwoman (this will make your body start producing “happy hormones”), join groups on Meetup.com or even dating websites …
Push yourself to be a better human being and if you don’t like something change it. Start small. Do one thing at a time if you are feeling overwhelmed.
And remember that you can do anything. You are just feeling bad and can’t see the wonderful things. You can change it by 1st feeling good. Start being more active… helping others sometimes also helps. Find things that make your heart sing. Have you ever had a crazy dream or an idea? or even a regular dream,.. anything is good… start moving towards it now, start doing something about love, kindness, happiness, think about others, … allow the universe to send you warmth and beauty, enjoy life, enjoy the nature, enjoy good things you can do and appreciate what you have. Sure you are going to be depressed if you can’t value the opportunities that come your way, you probably can’t even see them. The key is to start feeling good and that starts with health. healthy diet, educating yourself about how to deal with stress, making steps towards the love and light, doing something useful, even when you don’t see the point… have faith, do something towards your goals, and you will get there too. There are so many marvelous people out there, there are so many good ways to be happy and so many kind deeds to be done. What are you waiting for? Go you! Go live a life you always dreamed of! Or make up a whole new plan for a different life that you’d want. Dream big. Be good <3 Love

September 30, 2013 at 4:39 pm
(107) Cameron says:

@Michael,

Mixing bleach and ammonium actually dines not create mustard gas, mustard gas is actually a very different and much worse gas and I believe was used in WW2

September 30, 2013 at 4:41 pm
(108) Cameron says:

Chlorine gas is not mustard gas either

October 9, 2013 at 2:33 pm
(109) barkingbiscuit says:

I’ve never followed one of these thru had I not I never would have seen the comment from TrueStory, my personal fav!
My mom told me never to mix the two, as I told my kids. Pass it on.

October 10, 2013 at 12:39 am
(110) Drew says:

I just accidentally mixed them cleaning the toilet with bleach and there was a little bit if pee left in there. It fizzed and all of a sudden my right eye hurt and my chest. I very glad I am still alive.

November 7, 2013 at 9:40 pm
(111) Oh no! says:

Great feed, very humerus. I just did this. Lol. Scared me half to death, but only half. I’m still breathing. Vapors spread fast. I just aired out the house and used some eye drops and I’m good to go.

December 4, 2013 at 9:00 am
(112) Justcommenting says:

This is too funny! Some of you people need to lighten up. Loved the Kardashian comment!!!

December 7, 2013 at 11:38 am
(113) Not Dead yet says:

In the early ’80s I was working in a pizza place and mopped the stock room with bleach and ammonia. It fumed just like we’ve been told, and though it made us get out of there, no one was harmed.

As for the gophers, I just wish I had some to try this on. In the meantime, there is a community greenbelt that has gopher holes… and as I walk my dogs, I bag their poop then jam the poop filled bags deep into the holes with a stick. Let those little b**tards dig through that.

January 3, 2014 at 12:14 am
(114) Mike says:

My parents were smart and exposed me to this mixture on a daily basis, just a tiny bit of pool shock and ammonia added to the room humidifier every day until I built up a tolerance. Now I am completely immune to the effects and my lungs are super tough like leather.

January 19, 2014 at 5:11 pm
(115) d dot says:

My Mom told me to use dish soap to wash my clothes if i were to run out of detergent. Today i ran out if detergent and used dish soap, i decided to wash my whites and without thinking to check the bottle i added a cup of bleach (the load size was xL) & not until i smelled something that gave me a headache did i check the bottle, sure enough the dish soap had ammonia… my daughter and i went outside for a little bit then i went back inside to turn on all the fans open windows and run the load again to rinse the clothes. I also called poison control and was told “it happens to all of us, i would add some vinegar in the rinse cycle bc because that should cut through the fumes and any of the left over mixture in the clothes” I was reassured that it’s okay to make mistakes and to call if I had questions later.

Everything and everyone is okay, but man was i scared!!! :/

February 19, 2014 at 2:33 pm
(116) allison says:

I have a big problem with mice getting into my car at night – they build nests and chew on the wires behind the dashboard, and three times I’ve had to have my car repaired. I was thinking about pouring an ammonia/bleach mixture into a dish or bucket and setting it inside the car at night, so that the fumes would drive away the mice (of course I would remove the pan and would have to ventilate the car thoroughly before driving it). Is this a good idea? I have tried everything else. A pan of ammonia seems to work for one night, but ammonia seems to lose its fuminess if it sits out long enough.

March 17, 2014 at 6:02 am
(117) Jeff says:

I remember a couple Years back at a dish washing job i had i was told to go clean the kitchen washroom. So i got all my supplies ready and thought of using Windex as a way to make the toilet not smell like shit after someone took a shit and i dumped half a bottle of it in and got a toilet cleaner and started scrubbing. Not even a minute later my nostrils burned like all hell and my vision even felt fuzzy within seconds i was unconscious. i woke up in a hospital apparently 1 day later saying my boss forgot to mention he bleached the toilet to get rid of stains. Oh boy did i feel stupid as hell.

April 18, 2014 at 4:27 pm
(118) irrelevant4 says:

Chewed gum on top of the gopher holes works great..they can’t digest it..of course a 12 ga. Is much funnier..