1. Education

Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.

Red Mercury - Uranium Oxide with Mercury?

By May 17, 2010

Every now and then I get an email pertaining to the subject of red mercury, a mysterious substance which may or may not have an application as a nuclear material. While the following email isn't specifically about red mercury, those of you interested in this material may enjoy the historical perspective regarding the transport of uranium oxide using mercury:
Ms. Helmenstine,

The following is very serious and very important.

You described "Red Mercury" (on about.com) as being some sort of mercury compound with nuclear weapon application. I don't know anything about that, but I am aware of a mercury/uranium oxide connection.

During WWII, it was common practice for German submarines to transport uranium oxide in steel canisters by U-boat (submarines). However, at great depths, the cannisters could collapse from the great underwater pressures. The German solution was to mix uranium oxide (presumably a powder) with mercury (a liquid) to form a paste. That canisters would then be filled with the paste, and loaded in the keel of the submarine.

One such submarine was torpedoed off the coast of Norway on route to Japan who were attempting to build an atomic bomb during WWII. The welded canister is said to contain pure mercury. The ship supposedly had 67 tons of "mercury" on board while enroute to Japan. However, in 1982, a Japanese officer was interviewed (on tape). He claims that General Tojo ordered him to acquire two tons of uranium oxide from Germany. Hitler agreed, but the sub was torpedoed off the coast of Norway by a British submarine before it got any further.

I have the 1982 recorded interview and everything I have just said is well-documented.

Thank you.

Bill

What Is Red Mercury? | Speculation about Red Mercury

Comments

May 18, 2010 at 3:21 pm
(1) tudza says:

Can you point me to the source for that business about cargo canisters and such? I’m interested in learning more since I would have thought everything a sub carried would be inside the pressure hull.

June 21, 2010 at 8:45 am
(2) Bill Streifer says:

Here is the 2005 report by the Norwegian Coastal Authority (NCA).

Recently, a member of the NCA and Norwegian TV contacted me.

September 7, 2010 at 7:06 am
(3) betty says:

i tend to believe that mercury exists, its more of a dark red coloured substance, like dry blood. there is such a container, photo in facebook, “duss_kaiser@yahoo.com” or a facebook group by the name duss_kaiser, that contains such a substance. when shaken it truly exhibits interesting behaviours. it is said that the containers were used by the Germans during WW1 as stoves.

April 6, 2012 at 2:45 am
(4) harry says:

hi people

this subject is interesting and i have heard it a lot here in Zambia Africa and i have seen a lot of people coming to me looking for the same staff,for seven years i have been looking for this staff not until lin February i saw a small tube weighing about 25grms unfortunately it wasn’t the staff it was silver mercury mixed with red paint,am still trying to make a research on that and i will kep you posted people,

Good day.

November 3, 2012 at 5:02 am
(5) Pierre says:

Dear Harry
If you are interested I can obtain red mercury – you can contact me on pierre@mincon.co

November 10, 2012 at 3:26 am
(6) petros / Saylo says:

i have product named as follow,
Bromine Red Mercury and Uranium mixed
HSO 40/40 HG with O2 500mg,99.999%
batch no 255668810
M,G,G 1920-1947
CODE NO 55.555
MADE IN Italy
bottling LT648BGA1048OS001.
is it really Mercury ? can i keep with me or through away it ?

February 1, 2013 at 5:08 am
(7) DK says:

Red Mercury yanetsa

June 11, 2013 at 12:57 pm
(8) Safi says:

Dear petros,
As far as it`s mixed with uranium , this product should have something to do with explosive items or devices or even highly lethal bombs or so, if you get (accidently) pure red mercury feel free to contact me on mmuksafi@gmail.com , it cost 200,000 to 250,000 K (USD). Of curse , it has nothing to do with explosive devices or so; this liquid is believed to be of spiritual powers and some rich & big potatoes are dying to buy it.

November 15, 2013 at 12:16 am
(9) Ebenzer Arul says:

Red mercury is used with nuclear bombs… That is uranium… So as to improve the area of influence of the explosion… Due to its high pressure when triggered the bomb explodes to a very huge area so that even a whole metropolitan city will be in ashes… I think that is why it was tried to be used in atomic bombs…

December 17, 2013 at 5:09 pm
(10) Ricardo Santos says:

I need Hg Red Liquid 25 Hight Density or HSO 40/40 HG with O2

December 22, 2013 at 5:05 pm
(11) josef says:

I have red mercury liquid with density 27kg/liter ( professorcastanheira@gmail.com)

February 9, 2014 at 4:00 am
(12) ricardo says:

i have red mercury contact me on nuru lembuya@gmail.com

March 28, 2014 at 2:03 am
(13) awini Jacobson says:

I have red mercury. contact me on awinijacobson@Gmail.com

April 3, 2014 at 6:51 am
(14) waaq says:

i have red Mercury contact me