1. Education

I've been asked "How do you remove salt from water?" enough times that I suspect finding the answer to the question is a common science assignment. So... how do you do it?

You can boil or evaporate the water and the salt will be left behind as a solid. If you want to collect the water, you can use distillation. One way to do this at home would be to boil the saltwater in a pot with a lid. Offset the lid slightly so that the water that condenses on the inside of the lid will run down the side to be collected in a separate container. Congratulations! You've just made distilled water. When all of the water has boiled off, the salt will remain in the pot. Evaporation works the same way, just at a slower rate.

Comments

November 8, 2011 at 6:19 pm
(1) Michael says:

I found this very helpful! Thank you for posting this! I never thought you could seperate them! I also thought the salt would desolve and never undisolve! Thanks! :)

April 5, 2012 at 3:42 pm
(2) chrissy says:

this was very helpful.i even got an A in my science assignment thanks to you anne.and fyi michael please check your dictionary for help in spelling ”dissolve and undissolve”.

August 15, 2012 at 2:03 am
(3) Charles says:

Chrissy, I don’t think it matters how he spells anything. The only spelling that pertains to you would be b**ch. Anyway, thanks for the information Anne. I’d imagine this would be nearly impossible to achieve on a deserted island. I’m more interested in how this would be possible during a survival situation.

August 19, 2012 at 12:00 pm
(4) JM says:

Charles. I guess you are not very bright (evident by your bashing of someone else) or you would already know that she gave you the way to do this under a survival situation. READ the article and then replace the word stove for fire. Understand?
And, if you cant make a fire under a survival situation then I suggest you go back to school or join the Boy Scouts until you learn basic survival techniques.

November 19, 2012 at 12:36 am
(5) Anisha says:

My mom at times suffers from a lot of stomach pain.We live in mumbai which is by the bay,so can boiling water in a pot,help reduce the pain ?

January 24, 2013 at 3:27 pm
(6) Becky says:

Good basic info here…fire, stove….no matter what heat source, this works fine. What I don’t understand is why people can’t choose their battles. I don’t understand why someone feels the need to bash someone for their spelling. He could have been a child doing some research. And then another person gets bashed by someone for defending the poor speller…& on & on. It’s disgusting and I get sick of seeing it. CHOOSE YOUR BATTLES….IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY, DON’T SAY IT. SIMPLE…..peace.

April 2, 2013 at 9:54 am
(7) Ashley says:

LOL but anyways, thanks I have to write my own procedure in a lab in which magnesium carbonate is combined with hydrochloric acid and we’re asked to find how much salt was produced, and I’m like “How am I supposed to figure that out when salt is solluble in water??” Am I right? #HighSchoolChemistry

October 23, 2013 at 9:58 pm
(8) paul j bonett says:

I have a problem, I would like to remove the salt from our swimming pool (60,000 liters !) so I can use-it for Aquaponics setup, plant water lillies and lotuses on one side and the vegies in a separate tub. above the second half

Maybe simpler to drain and refill with fresh water

November 5, 2013 at 6:24 am
(9) Summer says:

guys? seriously? how petty r u all? does it matter if he they spelt dissolve wrong? does it matter if someone wanted to correct them? r u all so petty and nothing going on in ur lives that u actually want to start an argument in the comments of a website? come on people. Grow up.

February 19, 2014 at 2:49 am
(10) WORLD WAR 3 says:

I have always wondered why they say we going to have a WORLD WAR 3 based on water,because soon our planet will have a water shortage. My question is: Why are we going to have a water shortage if most parts of our planet is made out of water? I know most of the water is sea-water and you cannot drink it,but we can invent some distillation machine for us it provide fresh water for us.

Can anyone reply me?!?

March 3, 2014 at 4:32 am
(11) billy says:

thanks for the enthusiastic and helpful site. appreciated.!!!!