1. Education

Diet soda is much less sticky than regular soda in the Mentos and diet soda geyser. (Anne Helmentine)

You can do this the low-tech way with just Mentos and diet soda or you can try out Steve Spangler's Geyser Tube, which allows you to drop the Mentos into the diet soda without getting drenched.

If you use diet tonic water and a black light, you can get a glowing Mentos and diet soda geyser:

Glowing Mentos and Diet Soda Geyser (Anne Helmenstine)

Comments

June 17, 2009 at 9:45 am
(1) Nancy says:

Who knew you could make a glowing geyser? (I love Steve Spangler…he’s great.)

June 17, 2009 at 11:30 am
(2) Connie G. Barwick says:

I couldn’t believe this would actually work! Now, I want to try it ;)

June 17, 2009 at 11:46 am
(3) Terri says:

Wow, I wouldn’t have dreamed of trying that. You always show the neatest experiments, Anne.

June 17, 2009 at 3:48 pm
(4) Newlyweds Guide Francesca says:

I’m guessing it’s more fun if you do get drenched!

June 17, 2009 at 4:18 pm
(5) chemistry says:

Francesca… this photo is actually taken from a video of the geyser. I am not certain David would agree with you about the fun of getting drenched. The diet soda was room temperature, so the temperature wasn’t a problem, but he did get soda in his eyes, so that part of it was not so fun. The Geyser Tube does include the caution about not-getting cola in your eyes. It stings and is a potential issue for young children who try the project. Otherwise, it’s refreshing and fun!

June 18, 2009 at 4:29 am
(6) Ellen says:

My kids are crazy about the Steve Spangler Geyser Tube; it really helps with the eye issue. We get the Spangler “Experiment of the Week” in my inbox every week without fail – absolutely free experiments complete with insturctions and a video. Oh, and what’s a little stickiness on a summer day? I love what you did with the blacklight. We’re going to try it that way this weekend. Thanks.

April 23, 2010 at 1:24 pm
(7) Maria Mejia says:

i don’t like science but this is very good!!