1. Education

Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.

Sewing Machines Believed to Contain Red Mercury

By April 15, 2009

Old Singer Sewing Machine (Wikipedia Commons)
Do you have an old Singer sewing machine? If so, it may be worth $50,000! BBC is reporting on a sewing machine hoax in Saudia Arabia in which people are rushing to buy old Singer sewing machines based on the belief that they might contain red mercury. No one knows for sure where the rumor started, much less the more curious rumor that you can hold your mobile phone up to a sewing machine to somehow detect the presence of red mercury. The story goes you will lose your signal if you hold your phone up to the needle of a sewing machine that contains red mercury.

What is red mercury? It's a fabled substance that might be used to produce nuclear weapons, ward off evil spirits, or help you find treasure, depending on who you ask. There is no real proof that red mercury exists, except perhaps as cinnabar or vermilllion (HgS) or mercury(II) iodide, either of which you can purchase sans sewing machine for a much lower price. Still... if you have your old Singer up for auction at eBay, it might fetch a higher price than you were expecting. If you're considering buying an old Singer, save your pennies until after the scam has run its course.

Comments

April 21, 2009 at 4:32 pm
(1) J Spratt says:

ridiculous

December 8, 2009 at 9:36 am
(2) samaon says:

i have a singer machine that my great grand mother will for me

February 15, 2010 at 6:56 am
(3) ebenezer says:

i have old singer sewing own by my late ground mother infarct it was purchase in 1914 and presently is in my custody if you need it call my number +2348062228246 my name is Ebenezer thanks

February 15, 2010 at 7:06 am
(4) ebenezer says:

i have a singer presently with me it was purchased by my ground d mother in 1914 and is in my custody now this is my phone number +2348062228246

February 16, 2010 at 5:55 am
(5) frank says:

gat real red mercury..no jokes….contact me on the email

March 22, 2010 at 8:23 pm
(6) sampson says:

there has been a wild news about an old schnapps bottle believe to have containing red mercury,and are for sales .can your outfit proof that and how can ireach prospertive buyer,since I have found couple of them.

July 6, 2011 at 7:23 am
(7) joe says:

call me 0545400209

September 25, 2011 at 2:52 am
(8) lungu says:

can you show me the exact picture of the sewing machine and the schnapp bottle. i have a few of those old stuff. give me pics and i will cross check and send you mine. call me 0264264938 mail -gremleens@yahoo.com

November 1, 2011 at 12:30 pm
(9) wasi says:

Dear sam[son..if you serious buyer contact to me..i have ref murcery…..

June 19, 2010 at 6:13 pm
(10) robine zeini says:

to hwo interest i find a red mercury by chance in my termometr the owner is my grandfather and coz he die since 50 years old im the owner now so hwo care he can email me or make call 00961 70293074

June 25, 2010 at 9:51 am
(11) gleen usa says:

hi am gleen mensing from usa i wnt to ghana fo holidays i meet some man who was having old scnap botle that contain red mecury he plan to let me buy it but i didi not no the used of it so i didi not buy it we used blade to text the botle it hold the blade we put milk on the botel it taks all the milk from th botel and h also buy singer to sell you can contact him if you need it @ 00233249805817 email elizarbeth.ajei@gmail.com

July 3, 2010 at 9:33 am
(12) norbert says:

I HAVE AN OLD SINGER SEWING MACHINE WITH THE SAID PROPERTIES FOR SALE. HOW CAN I MEET THE PROSPECTIVE BUYERS.(TELL;+233244946728).

July 6, 2011 at 7:20 am
(13) joe says:

call me. I will buy it. 0545400209

December 3, 2010 at 6:23 am
(14) charbel rahme says:

hello i would like to report that i have a singer swing machin that have the descriptions and contain red murcury when i approch my cell phone to the needlle the signle disapper so its for seelling cause i’m the owner my email is rahmecharbel1@gmail.com for how is intrested in byiing it please email me

December 3, 2010 at 6:27 am
(15) charbel says:

hello i have the desired singer which contain red mercury casue when approching my cell phone to the needl the signle dissaper so for the one intrested in bying it please email my on rahmecharbel1@gmail.com

February 7, 2011 at 5:43 pm
(16) Koulla says:

I have an old singer for sale. It is very old. i do not know if it is contain red mercury but is for sale. if you need specifications contact me on koulla20@hotmail.com

July 6, 2011 at 7:26 am
(17) joe says:

anyone who wants to sell the machine or the bottle can just call me 233545400209

October 21, 2011 at 7:36 pm
(18) joe says:

We buy old schnapp bottles. Bt we dont go beyond Accra because of some reasons if you are ready to sell call me and we will show you our office it is a registered company $10million, then we trade. My number is 0541385008

November 24, 2011 at 4:21 am
(19) Tommy kelvin says:

Hellllooooo
am tommy from united state of america and i will lo0ve to share this good news to everybody who is willing and very much serous,singer machine and the bottle are very much real and dealling we do buy them foe nuclear bomb and other spiritual purposes…
pls seller who are intrested can highly mail me at tepeacscompany@gmail.com…high price for the best seller
wating to read back form anybody

January 10, 2012 at 3:29 am
(20) timothy says:

hi have have this sewing maching dispalyed in the pic more info email me :) bulletcounty54@aol.com

January 15, 2012 at 6:33 am
(21) kevork doudaklian says:

i have an very old Singer sewing machines it was my grand mother , (OMEGA) if you want i’m in……

February 21, 2012 at 4:14 am
(22) 009613444364 says:

Any one from lebanon wants to sell plz contact me only seriouse ppl

February 21, 2012 at 4:17 am
(23) ziad says:

009613444364 if anyone frm lebanon and want to sell ur old radio or singer plz contact me urgent

February 25, 2012 at 3:40 pm
(24) j banos says:

my sister dated a gentle man with high math ability; made algroithms for scandinavian group; he bought a small island on lake in holland, ma. he would search for certain types of sewing machines and sell them for up to $50,000 supposedly to museums.

the largest antiques market in eastern usa (brimfield, ma) is 10 minutes away.hey would use phones to talk to each other when they spotted them.

March 6, 2012 at 6:11 am
(25) BOSSOU says:

Please I have available ancient singer sewing machines for sale.
Contact me for details : allabimodeste@yahoo.fr

March 29, 2012 at 12:53 pm
(26) Roland says:

I have a friend who has worked for Mine-Tech a company which did a lot of de-mining in Mozambique and he says he has some red mercury for sale.I have pictures of the stuff if anyone is interested.
Roland

May 21, 2012 at 6:41 am
(27) bezabih meseret says:

i have old swineg machin serch by name on facebook get my email write me

July 19, 2012 at 8:27 am
(28) Cliffordmugar says:

I would lyke to advertise about my sawing machine i mean the real one u a looking for.

July 29, 2012 at 11:18 am
(29) khaled says:

hi my name is khaled from lebanon and i just found a singer machine to day and i wnat to buy it.. i found it in a house has been lefted for 30 years …

September 6, 2012 at 4:35 pm
(30) FAf says:

want to sell singer machine with red mercury or old schnapp bottle with mercury, contact 233243375780

September 24, 2012 at 1:14 pm
(31) james says:

I have a both the bottle and the sewing machine and all tests have been performed on them…..But I need an encouraging price to give it out..Call me and name your price ..Contact me :+233208106106

September 24, 2012 at 10:54 pm
(32) KAMAL says:

I Sixty grams of red mercury in Morocco and spiritual origins of a Jewish family and I have Kmalk Lesieur old bottle green to connect

September 28, 2012 at 3:41 pm
(33) omar says:

Hi, we have a Red Mercury, pure %100, we have 3.3 gram, the Red mercury from EGYPT ( located in ASWAN) is a precious substance get from pharaoh’s mommies.
Red mercury from Egypt is extremly rare and very expensive.
If you are interested plz contact us to send the price and Photos.
Best regards

October 6, 2012 at 7:16 pm
(34) Red Mercury says:

Hello , this anonnce is for serious peoples ! i’m from Morocco and i have many stuff contains RedMercury :

1 old radios 2 old shnapp botlles 3 german clock 4 and o thers stuff .

so if you are intersesting and serious contact me via email :

castianod3@gmail.com

October 20, 2012 at 2:27 am
(35) Takaendesa says:

i can have red mecury,pyroantimonite (P22), in this form Hg2Sb2O5

October 29, 2012 at 5:01 am
(36) wewe1987 says:

I have an old Singer sewing machine aged at least 120 years and 2 old German radios.

If any one is interested please contact me.

November 28, 2012 at 8:33 am
(37) hasan chayeb says:

hello i am hasan chayeb from lebanon,,,i am interested to buy the sweing machine singer,,,hey charbel rahme contact me as soon as possible,,, i am intersted to buy ur machine,,,contact me at el-noia@hotmail.com as soon as possible,,,

December 15, 2012 at 2:15 pm
(38) godwill says:

I am have inger sweing maching and i have collected more others and i and seeking for any buyer of red mercury.; SO any interest buyer can write to me and i shall get to supply him his need in a great quantity ; contact me on grand.gody@yahoo.com or call 0023791634094 IN CAMEROON

December 23, 2012 at 10:27 am
(39) godwill says:

IF YOU ARE A BUYER OF OLD SINGER SAWING MACHING JUST CONTACT ME AS SOON AS POSIBLE AND I WILL SUPPLY ; email grand.gody@yahoo.com or call 0023791634094.

December 24, 2012 at 12:23 pm
(40) kiya says:

I am a man from Ethiopia. If you have old singer contact me by my email. midaksa.m@gmail.com

January 12, 2013 at 12:10 pm
(41) GODWILL says:

I NEED VERY SIRIUOS BUYERS FOR OLD SINGER MACHINES ; I HAVE TEN OLD SINGERS SAWING MACHINE PRESENTLY;
PLEASE SIRIOUS BUYERS ONLY; URGENT

contact; grand.gody@yahoo.com or call 0023791634094

January 21, 2013 at 2:02 pm
(42) elio says:

i have 1 sewing singer machine and 1 old german clock . if interested: 009613877137

January 25, 2013 at 8:01 pm
(43) hussein from lebanon says:

I have an old singer machine and i
want to sale it any one interested pls call 70500715

January 29, 2013 at 1:52 pm
(44) jay says:

You’re all complete idiots

January 30, 2013 at 8:38 pm
(45) obilin says:

Good to hear that you have the product Pure Mercury 99.99% i would love to make inquiry if you have Pure Virgin Red Mercury 99.99% as my company is ready to buy from you for mecury light bulb. as long as you are a serious seller. Please get to me as soon as possible. Regards
Mr Leonard
obilinknigenterprise25@yahoo.com

January 31, 2013 at 2:55 pm
(46) Hussein says:

I don’t know where is the exact place of the red mercury in this machine. Can u help me to find it and be sure that it exists?

February 6, 2013 at 2:17 pm
(47) hazem says:

I have a real buyer from Egypt need red mercury ,anyone have it please text me to elwa3de2008@yahoo.com .. thx

February 10, 2013 at 1:54 pm
(48) hussein says:

any one need my machine plz call for my number 0096170500715

February 15, 2013 at 1:14 pm
(49) GODWILL says:

I have 500grams of red marcury .pleas if you are a sirious buyer then contact me as fast as posible. you test the quality before buying .I am waiting you call on tel 0023791634094 or grand.gody@yahoo.com

March 1, 2013 at 12:12 am
(50) zeben says:

right now i have one singer sewing machine with one old clock i have tasted them and my phone had no signal please serious buyers only.i got all them from the village so if you need any call me 0023775434487

April 14, 2013 at 6:08 am
(51) bassem says:

im from TUNISIA i have a singer that passed the PHONE SIGNAL test
if anyone is interesting in buying it contact me my email is don_smiler@hotmail.com

April 14, 2013 at 6:26 am
(52) hussein says:

I have another two old sewing machines if anyone is interested plz call 96170500715 hussein.kheir-din@hotmail.com

April 14, 2013 at 6:56 am
(53) bassem says:

contact me for the singer don_smiler@hotmail.com

April 22, 2013 at 5:56 am
(54) Rita says:

Hi my name is Rita. I have a old Snier sewing machines. Dont know the date of this machine and cant find it on the internet. Can you help?

May 1, 2013 at 6:22 am
(55) daniel y says:

eny serious person that have real red mercury should contact me 2340736863860

May 19, 2013 at 1:22 pm
(56) GODWILL says:

HELLO , WE ARE HAVING RED MERCURY, diamond ,gold and quartz crystal stones for sale. If you are interested in any of this product then contact me as fast as posible.and you shall be supplied .our buyers are suposed to come to cameroon and get their product. test before buying.
contact +23791634094 or grand.gody@yahoo.com

July 26, 2013 at 3:08 pm
(57) pat says:

i am interest in red mercury if any one have plz contact me nice price’s
pah,invest@yahoo.com

August 6, 2013 at 6:21 am
(58) kelani says:

I have a sing sewing machine with my mum’s sister…intrested buyer contact 2348141936035 or email me : divskid@yahoo.com

August 20, 2013 at 11:16 am
(59) John says:

Hello

we have Old Movie recorder, 4-5 grams of red mercury from v. old metallic thermometer.
location: middle east
email: strungheart@yahoo.com

August 25, 2013 at 7:31 am
(60) nahom says:

i have singer serial number 179516, i live in eritrea asmara contact me with my email address shall_happy@yahoo.com

November 14, 2013 at 3:32 am
(61) kasirivu kennedy says:

hey board i have an old german radio made back long time ago and it wsa existing world war 2 in germany so who ever intrested,contact me on kasirivukennedy@yahoo.com
plis i dont want con men!!!!!!!!!!!

January 12, 2014 at 2:15 pm
(62) alfred says:

i want to buy one of the above mention old schnapp botles sewing machines and any old currency 0540800634

January 31, 2014 at 5:10 pm
(63) ADAKA says:

I have an old thermometer containing red mercuy
U

February 16, 2014 at 3:50 pm
(64) veer says:

j’ai une machine a coudre , SINGER ANGLAISE depuis 1930
mon numero : 00213770620327

April 9, 2014 at 1:47 pm
(65) anonymous says:

My company offers the best price ever, please contact me on 2332547363059

April 9, 2014 at 5:01 pm
(66) raouf says:

first of all i wanna tell you that i have the right one that actually you want
but what do you mean by red mercury and is its valuable
if you want to buy it im from lebanon
you can contact me by email and then by phone

best regards guys

April 9, 2014 at 5:03 pm
(67) raouf says:

hello all of you

i have the right singer
if you are interested contact me on my email

April 12, 2014 at 12:56 pm
(68) charbel says:

i have swing an ol singer machine if your interested contact me on :+96170560679

April 29, 2014 at 5:17 pm
(69) shahana says:

I have some old south afrikan money 1955 1960 if any body interested just e mail me thanks