1. Education

Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.

Laetrile, Amygdalin, and Vitamin B17

By October 2, 2008

When I wrote a warning about how eating too many apple seeds or cherry pits could kill you, I had no idea the topic would be considered controversial. In my mind, saying the natural compounds in the plants could be toxic was on par with saying too much iron is toxic... it's documented fact. Yet, that blog post generated comments about how the seeds are supposedly a cure for cancer or necessary for nutrition, making me out to be part of some nefarious AMA/government plot. For those of you who think that, let me set the record straight. No one dictates what I write or pays me to present a viewpoint.

Apple seeds, cherry pits, and other seeds from the Prunis family contain a natural substance called amygdalin, which can be enzymatically degraded into glucose, benzaldehyde, and hydrogen cyanide. Hydrogen cyanide is toxic. Here's the first MSDS I found on hydrogen cyanide when I ran a search, which says ingesting less than 1 mg/kg can kill you. So... that's bad news for your body, even if there are heathful compounds in the seeds, unless you have the ability to detoxify the cyanide... and you do. If the dose is low enough, you can survive exposure to cyanide just fine, with no ill effects. If the dose is too high, then you're in trouble. That's where eating too many of the seeds can kill you. I don't have an opinion on whether or not eating a small number of the seeds is healthful.

I read that some people use the terms amygdalin, Laetrile, and vitamin B17 interchangeably, but there are sources which distinguish between them. Amygdalin is the substance that occurs naturally in plants. Laetrile is a trade name for a synthesized compound, laevo-mandelonitrile-beta-glucuronoside. This compound is chemically similar to amygdalin, but isn't the same molecule. I'm not entirely clear on whether B17 is supposed to be amygdalin or Laetrile, but neither compound is recognized as a vitamin. The 'vitamin' designation seems to have been part of a marketing ploy by the Mexican clinic that sells Laetrile. I don't see much information about the natural compound, amygdalin, but there is scientific research that indicates Laetrile does not cure cancer.

To summarize:

• Laetrile and amygdalin are not the same molecule.
  • Both compounds can be metabolized to produce cyanide in the body. Too much of either compound is toxic.
  • Laetrile has not been shown to cure cancer.
  • There may or may not be health benefits from eating apple seeds or related seeds, but if you eat too many of them, you can get sick and may die.
Comments or discussion?

Comments

October 10, 2008 at 11:14 pm
(1) Todd Moss says:

Please watch G Edward Griffin’s A World Without Cancer, about Laetrile, on Google video:

October 12, 2008 at 4:02 pm
(2) Bob Steele says:

You are so right about the ‘natural’ toxins in some seeds. I have read that a thimbleful of apple seeds killed someone. Magnus PYKE wrote a book on food science which refers to the actual poisoning. The man loved apple seeds so his wife collected a thimbleful and gave to him for his birthday – his last birthday it turned out to be. Bob

July 14, 2011 at 12:46 pm
(3) donpark1 says:

Where did you read this??? Let me guess… you can’t remember. LOL

The author sounds like she is paid by someone. “there is scientific research that indicates Laetrile does not cure cancer.” Only an idiot would print that in a story they wrote… unless they wrote for idiots. :-)

November 29, 2008 at 11:05 am
(4) Chris says:

You’re a PHD? Try doing some research on Laetrile / B17 and see how many people disagree with YOUR research that it doesn’t work. You say it’s proven it doesn’t work because the so-called experts say so…so I guess you believe that radiation and chemo actually is a good method because they say so. Why don’t you ask a doctor how many people survive cancer using the “preferred method” of treatment. Have you spoken to a doctor that does Laetrile treatments, Answer no. See, some doctors think vitamins/minerals should be the preferred method. You think it’s possible that the drug companies/Gov would suppress this info…no that’s impossible right? There’s a reason why the drug companies have beds inside the capital building. Look how many kids/people are taking meds these days. Get your head out of your a$$.

December 14, 2008 at 4:53 am
(5) Alex says:

You go boy!

December 16, 2008 at 7:01 am
(6) David Duncan says:

What is a poison? – ANYTHING taken into the body in sufficient quantities within a certain time to do bodily harm.
Apple and cherry seeds contain vitamin B17. Vitamin B17 is less toxic than -
sugar, salt and aspirin -
and a darn sight less toxic than chemotherapy.

December 16, 2008 at 4:39 pm
(7) gwen says:

I was a nurse for many years. I NEVER once saw a patient survive who had chemo from cancer that had spread throughout the body.

I got out of nursing. When I tried natural god given product that cured my skin cancer, when my surgeon failed twice, I did further research.

It’s true. Natural is better.

Ever wonder why the hunzakuts don’t have a trace of cancer or disease and live long lives? Hmmmmm….

January 20, 2009 at 6:40 pm
(8) Marissa says:

“……..but if you eat too many of them, you can get sick and may die.”

I eat an apple a day, skin, seeds and all. I also eat 10 apricot kernels between meals every day for the past 3 years. hhhmmmmmm.

October 18, 2011 at 5:45 am
(9) Eric Juvastoel says:

I eat on a dayli basis 100 to 150 apricot seeds and have done so since late May 2011. Still alive :-) Mirracle or is BIG PHARMA try to scare us from taking natures own medicine ?
Amygdalin can not be patented and can not make big $$$$$$ !

October 18, 2011 at 3:59 pm
(10) Antonio says:

Eric,

Do you chew the apricot seeds?

Thanks,

Antonio

March 31, 2009 at 3:49 pm
(11) Tomas says:

Did you also know that when there “final” is cure for cancer the American Cancer Society is required to disband. They receive the most donations than any other charity. With that said do you think they are eager to tell the truth?! Think about all the jobs that would be lost, fact is today there are more people making money from cancer than dying from it.

Genesis 1:29 And God said, Behold I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth , and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

Think about it.

July 4, 2009 at 12:11 pm
(12) Ken says:

Our Ms. Anne Marie needs to confine herself to a chem lab and ignore what she herself finds to be absolutely true–no matter the clear benefit (“benefit”, being interchangeable with “profit loss” in this case). Clumsily worded, but Holy Christ stop parroting the marketeers: not recognized as, et al, has FDA written all over it.

And, duh? You wholly neglected to say EXACTLY WHERE and WHY and HOW the compound is released ONLY in the presence of a chemical that ONLY TUMOR CELLS have in abundance. Do you think we’re complete idiots?

Take more than 20 mins to research a subject mkay? Signed, 70-80 cherry pit centers or 10-15 apricot pit centers a day after being diagnosed with another brain tumor, 11 months ago.

You may as well work at a fast-food joint to HELP get people sick. You’d do less harm.

“When I wrote a warning about how eating too many apple seeds or cherry pits could kill you, I had no idea the topic would be considered controversial.”, shines a spotlight upon your professional and moral integrity.

Resign.

August 9, 2009 at 8:02 am
(13) jason says:

well it is true vitamin b17 does kill cancer i just found out with my mums melanoma eating 45 seeds a day killed off to tumours the size of eggs in 2 weeks that were on her leg but remember the apricot seeds are only part of the jigsaw puzzle its the diet as well pancretic enzymes is the secret as well all u drug companys out there would have to be getting so worried because every one is finding out about this i hope the cancer industry get wiped out its all to do with money

September 9, 2009 at 7:00 pm
(14) nondnabased says:

if there were a cure or a good prevention for cancer billions of profit $$$ will b lost……. think about that author. there are three types of lies. LIES,LIES and SATISTICS……

January 31, 2010 at 5:44 pm
(15) Linda says:

How many apple seeds a day is it safe to eat, and do you chew them, crush them or swallow them whole. Thanks for any info.

October 18, 2011 at 5:47 am
(16) Eric Juvastoel says:

I eat 100 / 150 a day and I feel fine :-) and yes i CHEW them.

June 11, 2010 at 1:19 pm
(17) Danny says:

Mum sent home with terminal cancer. We opted for the B17 route instead of chemo. Gave her 3 (500mg) laetrile tablets per day for 4 months. She has never looked better, has never experienced a single side effect and she is 83 years old.

I wouldn’t give cancer research a dime of my money. Crooks!!

November 3, 2011 at 6:36 pm
(18) Jean says:

Where did you get her tablets??? I Need help

November 16, 2011 at 9:17 pm
(19) David says:

Get the book: Cancer Step outside the box!

October 31, 2010 at 1:45 pm
(20) Jim says:

The best comment I have ever read on this whole topic is from teh Anti-Cancer book. “It is difficult to get someone to understand something, when, their salary is so dependent on them not understandind it.”

March 17, 2011 at 2:36 pm
(21) mohammad says:

i am surprised of a man who loved apple seeds died from it as bob steele mintioned ,unless it was his first love first try witch is impossibe .since bob steele knows the dead man ,i apreciate if he mentions if this man used apple seeds before and why he did not die earlier

March 17, 2011 at 2:36 pm
(22) mohammad says:

May 28, 2011 at 1:45 pm
(23) Hilary says:

If you would like to have the beneficial elements of Vitamin B17 without the most definite hazards which Anne Marie wrote of above, you might like to add the following foods to your diet and will provide you with more than adequate quantities to act as an alternative to stone fruit seeds.

Broad Beans – 4oz (100g), fresh or frozen but cooked.

Chilli con beanies – made with red kidney beans, fresh bell peppers and all the other things you might want to have with your regular, home-made chilli. Use one 500g (1lb) can between two people, or

cook the kidney beans with some raw onion, a little garlic and some dried herbs in it’s own can juice for 20 minutes on a simmer heat, then drain and mash and have on wholemeal toast for breakfast, half the can each (for two) or cook it and refrigerate and reheat next day for breakfast in the same way.

Find wild blackberries during the fall, eat them as you pick them and take a big container. You can freeze them in airtight containers and eat them til your heart is content. Cultivated blackberries do not have the same vitamin content.

Grow your own alfalfa – eat the leaves and sprouts in sandwiches instead of salad, or have an alfalfa salad with some other nice tasty things like tomato and onions and grated carrot. Make sure you buy PURE alfalfa seeds and tend it yourself or someone you trust.

Don’t snack on peanuts, buy macadamia nuts instead, a couple of ounces are lovely with your aperitif before dinner.

Eat some lentils two or three times a week instead of another vegetable.

Bamboo sprouts are gorgeous and very fresh tasting and extremely good for you.

So are mung bean sprouts.

If you live in FL make the most of cassava as a vegetable and as an ingredient in cakes and other sweet/savoury treats.

All of the above have amygdalin in reasonably high quantities and won’t harm you.

Good health and bon appetit.

July 14, 2011 at 12:06 pm
(24) paul Zenchuk says:

a number of people have become cancer free after ingesting apricot pits. One guy was thrown in jail over it. There are testimonials by cancer survivors on the internet. You knowledge seems very limited.

January 19, 2012 at 5:11 pm
(25) Estelle says:

I’ve eaten 5 or more apples (including their seeds) per day for over a decade now. No signs of poisoning in sight. I must be highly resistant to cyanide???

February 5, 2012 at 10:59 pm
(26) danny says:

Thanks to authors such as G. Edward Griffin and his book World Without Cancer, also Tanya Harter Pierce and her book Outsmart Your Cancer, we are learning the truth! And when we have finally reached a critical mass those within those criminal organizations such as the ACS and those liars within the FDA should be concerned. They have played the largest role in the genocide within the world. Millions needlessly dying horrible deaths. A reading of the history put forth by these authors and many others shows the complicit criminality engaged in all for money. Every day i exist i spread the word by telling people of these books. 1 out of 3 or 2 out of 3 are serious numbers. Reading and learning is easy and thankfully to groups like these others can learn to protect themselves. Let’s all resolve to spread the word every day and sink the knife into the cancer industry!

March 22, 2012 at 2:46 pm
(27) Jason M says:

Ms. Helmenstine Ph.D.,

I’ve always been a firm believer that the burden of proof rest upon he or she that alleges. Unfortunately I don’t have 100 million dollars to ‘prove’ vitamin B17 works. So though I can’t prove its effectiveness or speak of its safety, I can, however, show you thousands of testimonies (Google). I simply can not excuse all those testimonies as being some sort of placebo effect. And as far as safety is concerned…I can not recall ever hearing or reading about anyone dying of cyanide poisoning as a direct result of taking B17 in the form of apple seeds, apricot seeds, pills, etc.
I certainly hope after viewing the overwhelming responses to your post that it will motivate you to taking a second look at the integrity of the FDA as well as PHARMA’s true motivation$. As the others have already stated, start by watching A World Without Cancer by G Edward Griffin. It’s a real eye opener!

Thanks,

Jason

April 5, 2012 at 2:53 am
(28) Clint Mc says:

have you ever noticed your dog eating strange plants, grass even? what about chimps in Africa that will crack open the fruits just to eat the seeds? do you know why they do that? bigger question, if the chemical in these specific plants that animals eat are ‘poisonous’ they why don’t they die?

I use to live on a farm and for a few years the grass started to die, so we planted a different species of grass instead… not soon after all the cattle started to die of cancer… we got a local vet out and asked about the old and new grass we used… he found out that the old grass was high in B-17.

May 1, 2012 at 5:11 pm
(29) Anonymous says:

Yes, the illuminati does pay you for this

July 2, 2012 at 8:08 am
(30) just a scientist says:

Tell me how to get the B-17 from a pip and I will check if it works coz I have such an opportunity. It is very easy for me to check it, but I don’t know how to get the B-17 in order to add it to the cell culture.

July 6, 2012 at 8:47 pm
(31) Jerabek says:

Yes, its very BAD for you.I have once eaten 3 doz seeds (apricot+ plus ++ in ONE day. and I had a “little bad taste” in my mouth., over one yr ago.I must be different to others in the clinical study s…also my wife did the same with” No side effects”.we in Australia be must be different to the rest of USA?

July 8, 2012 at 11:03 pm
(32) Roger says:

I would like to enlighten all you quacks out there about the REAL effect
apricot seeds have on your body when you ingest(eat) them. The
amygdalin, when ingested, combines with enzymes in your gut that convert the amygdalin to CYANIDE. Your liver can process a small amount of cyanide but when higher levels are built up, the toxicity becomes too much for the liver to deal with and DEATH occurs.

My wacked-out brother had my 90 year old mother eating 12 seeds per day. Her liver functions ( ALT and AST ) had climb to abnormal levels and she was showing symptoms consistent with cyanide toxicity.
I insisted she undergo a test for cyanide poison ( ABG-Arterial Blood Gas). The test results were POSITIVE for cyanide !! We halted the seeds immediately and her overall health has improved.

For any of you out there that insist on this quackery, please do yourselves a favor and have your cyanide levels checked. you have nothing to loose and can hopefully come to your senses before your cyanide level reaches a fatal level.

July 24, 2012 at 12:39 pm
(33) Laetrile v. Cancer says:

@ Roger

Roger why dont have you have a seat next to the author and watch the big boys show how laetrile kills CANCER, and how this will stop the medical industrial complex from having millions of victims that can be cured…

Your a shill Roger – and by the way, if you ROAST the Apricot seeds as per INSTRUCTION – you wouldve found out that it stops the stomach from becoming upset for some… you go your work cut out– obviously your still trying to comprehend any good common sense, let alone cures for cancer!

October 8, 2012 at 11:01 am
(34) dave says:

Dear Doctor,
It must be very difficult to write scientifically for what seems to be a readership which is not scientifically minded. In psychiatry, the anger they reveal is called displacement… The angry husband kicks the dog after losing his job. In this case, Anger at the topic directed at you.

Honestly, fellow readers, I can understand how scary cancer and illness can be, and it may may *seem* likely that big pharma and government collaborate on every level to hide cures and make money…. But seriously, calm down. It’s honestly like being mad at Brian Williams for reporting war.

October 12, 2012 at 10:39 am
(35) Patrick Bowman says:

To those who think that “big pharma”, the FDA or the government in general are concealing the fact that toasted apple seeds cure cancer, I have to ask: why has nobody proven this independently? It’s not like it would be hard. Late-stage cancer patients? Check. Bucket of toasted apple seeds? Check. Any university researcher or grad student who found even a partial cure for cancer would literally become a household name throughout the world.

It’s also worth remembering that the United States is not, contrary to popular belief, the only country in the world. The governments health agencies of many, many different countries, and all their current and former employees, would all have to conspire to keep this a secret and suppress any independent research.

November 18, 2012 at 9:23 am
(36) Sandra Traweek says:

Whenever I eat an apple, I eat the seeds raw. They are delicious. Not many seeds in them but I consider it a delicacy. If it was poisonous, I think people would have been killing off their spouces over the centuries by feeding them apple seeds . The headlines would have read KILLED BY APPLE SEEDS. But alas, they would have benefitted in better health than before.

December 14, 2012 at 9:47 am
(37) xin says:

To those that ask for proof I suggest you look at the studies done already both negative and positive as they do exist. My issue with people for and against laetrile/b17/amygdalin is how rude they tend to be towards each other. The people for laetrile scream big pharma whores while the people against laetrile love screaming quackery. Neither side is right. Nobody should be completely opposed to the idea of natural remedies or remedies brought forth by big pharma. I’ve read about laetrile being good for pain management of lipomas so I decided to try it for myself as I personally don’t believe the cyanide scare. I’ve been taking 1g a day for the past couple weeks and so far I haven’t had any signs of cyanide poisoning but I do feel less pain from my lipomas. You can write this off as a placebo effect but I feel it’s worth continuing for now. As for the gentleman that suggested getting actual scientific studies done since it’s not difficult, let me assure you it will be difficult to have any Med student or scientist to study on laetrile since it will take time, and money. Let’s say a student does this anyway and was able to generate some worthwhile results. Put yourself in his/her position. Would you have the courage of posting those positive results thus contradicting the clinical trials of the mayo clinic? Putting all conspiracy aside one must admit this may cause you some serious problems as a scientist let alone a student.

January 9, 2013 at 9:38 pm
(38) Matthew Schmidt says:

I do not want to be enslaved to the medical community and the government. I am for my individual freedom. I believe strongly in vitamin B17 and a lot of other alternative natural health that is out there. I hope that these negative people who try to separate us from nature do not get their way and do not have control over us. I hope the medical community goes out of business and the world sees and is open more to nature. I do not give any money to something that I do not believe it. We are responsible for educating ourselves and being smart people. I am very happy and excited to read those other good comments above against the government and the medical community. I have been reading natural health books for the past decade.

January 25, 2013 at 7:20 pm
(39) thor68372 says:

@Patrick – The Government Does Not Want A Cure For Cancer, Big Money In Cancer. A Scientist Has Already Found A Cure, Can Not Use It Though Until He Does Clinical Trials, Tests, The Cost Would Be At Least 100 Billion Dollars, Then Getting FDA To Pass It. It Will Never Happen Because Who Has 100 Billion Dollars Layin Around To Do Tests. The Only Corporation That Could Afford It Is “DRUG COMPANIES”, They Don’t Want A Cure, They Want To Treat The Symptoms, More Money. Drug Companies Also Can Not Get A Patent On A Natural Product, Because They Did Not Create The Natural Product, It’s NATURAL!!! I Think The Scientist That Found This Substance, As I Ca Not Remember, Is From Switerland Or Someother Country. He Said In The Lab, The Substance Killed Cancer Dead In It’s Tracks, Safely, No Side Effects. Ralph Moss Has A Very Good Book Out Called “Kernals Of Truth”, Tells Everything About The Seeds Of Fruit, Natural Cancer Treatment, Dosages, How To Prepare Mixtures.

February 4, 2013 at 10:44 pm
(40) Petvnbev says:

Ms. Anne Marie Helmenstine

Could you site the scientific studies, for or against, the efficacy of Laetrile or B17? I am curious as there seem to be huge confusion and doubt about this topic. Some societies that do consume a significant amount of this natural food substance do seem to have less, or no, instance of cancer. So explanation certainly is in order. Thank you

Petvanbev

May 6, 2013 at 11:57 am
(41) mike says:

if you dry out the seeds grind them up and add d.m.s.o to them you can use it as a skin lotion and get the benefits threw the skin.good luck and stay cancer free.p.s cbd is good at killing cancer cells to but the f.d.a doesn’t want to you to know about that either.

May 22, 2013 at 10:36 pm
(42) Cabbage Mind says:

The comments on this subject make my head hurt. Apple seeds do not cure cancer, and anyone trying to peddle their pseudo-science and “natural remedies” to cancer patients, with no shred of evidence supporting the efficacy of such treatment are at best dangerously ignorant of the facts, and likely guilty of deliberately giving cancer patients false medical advice to churn a quick buck.

Getting medical advice from a site with the URL jesus-saves-us.com is probably not the best idea either. Get spiritual advice in a church and leave medical advice to your doctor. I’m sure even your priest would agree on that.

Finally, nobody cares how many seeds you say you’ve eaten. It doesn’t prove anything. The chemistry and biology is simple enough, we know that hydrogen cyanide is toxic and if you eat enough apple seeds your body will produce a toxic amount of it. Granted, you would have to eat a lot of them (likely more than a thimble-full).

Or, if all else fails, why not just trust the fact that the woman behind the article has a Ph.D and has probably done more and better research on the matter than you will ever be able to.

June 7, 2013 at 5:53 pm
(43) Dee says:

Don’t be so ridiculous …I think you should educate yourself on B17

July 9, 2013 at 2:26 am
(44) steve anderson says:

Someone said there was no evidence for B-17 and why not do a scientific test, yet the best possible test has already been done in the multiple cultures around the world that ingest this naturally and they have no record of cancer in their history which is at least many hundreds of years. That is longer than any modern test and surely more reliable since no one stands to benefit and no one was trying to prove anything. Likewise, the animals that eat the pit and throw away the flesh of the fruits are doing so out of instinct, I think we can trust that they are not getting paid by any special interest groups to do so. Then there are the animals who eat grass that is high in this substance and get sick when they are switched to other grasses. Is not this as good or BETTER than a scientific test which we can’t be certain of the motives of those conducting it or reporting on it?

July 16, 2013 at 8:15 pm
(45) Sarah says:

The Best B-17 I have found is at http://www.cleopatrashealth.com, it is B-17 at a 50:1 strength. Worth looking into.

July 21, 2013 at 5:08 pm
(46) Frances says:

here is some real facts about vitamin B 17 facts… I think it interesting that B12 is not available with our average B vitamin complex… why?

August 4, 2013 at 9:35 am
(47) Will says:

Every normal cell in the human body has the ability to make an enzyme that turns the cyanide molecule released from amygdalin into thiocyanate which is harmless. Bacteria don’t have this.

It has been recently discovered that certain bacteria and cancer cells accidently work together to fight off the body’s immune system.

They share what are called cytokines which are molecules designed to fool or block the immune system among other capabilities and there are 60,000 different one currently known.

Amygdalin most likely kills the bacteria so that that the body can kill the cancer cells. Just last week medical scientists had a large debate to try to change the way the word ‘cancer’ is used. Since DNA mapping is being used as a standard form of identifying different cancers more and more every day now, they are finding that a good portion of them really aren’t cancer in the traditional sense of the much over-used word.

And yes, I’ve used apple seeds to help cure Lyme disease in myself, but everyone is different but the same in a way. We all have slightly different make-ups and react differently to medicines which is why some people have bad results and some people have good results.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away!

August 6, 2013 at 10:33 pm
(48) mike says:

My wife was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer 5 months ago. The cancer had spread to numerous bones with tumors all over her spine,ribs, hips,etc. She started taking b17 tablets after 1 month starting w/ one 500 mg tab. and gradually building up to 6 tablets a day. We just got the results of her first pet/ct scan and the docs are amazed that almost all her bone tumors have disappeared or shrunk considerably.In addition, they see very little activity in her primary tumor in the breast.I started out a skeptic but figured we had nothing to lose and now we are true believers. I thank god we heard about b17.

September 13, 2013 at 6:54 pm
(49) Rob Johnson says:

LET ME SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT. My family and I have been eating apple seeds and apricot kernals for years. They are , in fact, very healthy for you. I would never give my family or children anything that would hurt them. If every one knew the truth about whole natural foods like these the Cancer Societies,FDA, and the Federal Government would stand to lose Billions of dollars each year. This is such a sad country, to see our government try to cover up and lie about the truth of natural foods that help and heal. Do your own research. Find the TRUTH. You can purchase apricot kernals and b17 supplements fromApricotPower.com or Amazon. Please people, do the research and learn how the medical practices in america ,when it comes to treating cancer, have not changed in over 50 years. It is a crying shame.

September 14, 2013 at 5:41 pm
(50) Brian says:

Article author is a shill for the mainstream medical ‘practice’ industry. B17 is natural and so are other seeds. My family has been eating apple seeds, as well as apricot for years to great benefit.

September 24, 2013 at 1:29 am
(51) Lisa Forrestor says:

I have to say, I also eat the seeds, and take 100mg of B17 a day. I have had breast cancer 3 x and cervical cancer 1x. I now have all my parts and no cancer. No radiation, no chemotherapy WHICH IS 100X MORE LETHAL THAN ANY OF THE FORMS OF B17 YOU COULD EVER USE… LOOK UP WHAT CHEMOTHERAPY IS, the reason it is legal and Laetrile isn’t is because of the government and money. This ‘cure’ has been used since before Jesus. They just didn’t have a name for it, they just described symptoms ( cancer ) and used different forms of B17 to kill the cancer cells, and get relief from symptoms.

October 29, 2013 at 3:23 pm
(52) RL says:

Can you guys read?

She’s not talking about the HARM of B17, she’s talking about the SIDE EFFECTS of ingesting hydrogen cyanide. Hydrogen cyanide is poisonous because it binds to a crucial protein within your mitochondria in your cell and effectively causes your cells to go into hypoxia (I.e. they suffocate). I couldn’t give a crap if you argue with me until you’re blue in the face over this because it is FACT. So yes, ingesting it is poisonous and yes, it will kill you but not for the stupid reasons you guys are posting about. C’mon now, it’s really not that difficult to READ.

November 2, 2013 at 8:27 pm
(53) tom says:

“Whenever a trophoblast cell appears in the body outside of pregnancy, the natural forces that control it in a normal pregnancy may be absent and, in this case, it begins uncontrolled proliferation, invasion, extension, and metastasis. When this happens, it is initiated by an organizer substance, usually estrogen, the presence of which further promotes the trophoblast activity. This is the beginning of cancer. -Dr. Stewart M. Jones.

A cancer cell and a trophoblast cell are, in fact, one in the same. The normal process of DNA replication that occurs in pregnancy is absent in a cancer cell, therefore a cancer cell’s replication will manifest itself as a tumor if left unchecked. The cancer cell is protected, to a certain extent, by a wall or barrier of protein. The enzymes trypsin and chymotrypsin, excreted by the pancreas, break down the protein lining that covers the cancer cell which allows white blood cells to attack the cancer which is then metabolized along with the protein cover. This process is indiscriminate. The enzymes cannot consciously distinguish between one kind of protein or another. This is where muscular disintegration comes into play when animals starve. These same enzymes are used when animal proteins are ingested, but there is a limit to the amount of these enzymes, coming from the pancreas, that can be utilized to break down proteins, simply because there is a limit to how much the pancreas makes in a certain amount of time. So ingesting plant proteins, which are much simpler compared to animal proteins, leaves more of these enzymes behind to break down the cancer cell’s protein lining. The possibility for cancer exists anytime there is a need for repair within the body itself. White blood cells work to keep this process of reparation in check, hence white blood cells destroy tumors once the protein lining that covers the tumors has been dissolved by the enzymes, trypsin and chymotrypsin.

November 2, 2013 at 8:29 pm
(54) tom says:

So, what happens with someone that has exhausted all of their enzymes on metabolizing the proteins that were ingested depends on whether that person has any nitrilosides in their diet. Nitrilosides can be defined as a group of natural, non-toxic, water-soluble substances entirely normal to and compatible with human metabolism. So can vitamins. Here is the definition of a vitamin according to Meriam-Webster’s Dictionary: “any of various organic substances that are essential in minute quantities to the nutrition of most animals and some plants, act especially as coenzymes and precursors of coenzymes in the regulation of metabolic processes but do not provide energy or serve as building units, and are present in natural foodstuffs or are sometimes produced within the body” Another defintion from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ goes as follows: “Any of various fat-soluble or water-soluble organic substances essential in minute amounts for normal growth and activity of the body and obtained naturally from plant and animal foods.” The question is whether nitrilosides are necessary to animals or not.

November 2, 2013 at 8:30 pm
(55) tom says:

The answer to that question lies in the fact that these substances control cancer growth. When trypsin and chymotrypsin aren’t in high enough supply for the body to use against the growth of a tumor, nitrilosides, if consumed, will come into contact with the tumor through normal circulation of the blood. Tumors release extremely high concentrations of glucosidase enzymes. One of these catalysts known as beta-glucosidase will, when exposed to nitrilosides, break the vitamin down into its basic components; benzaldahyde, hydrogen cyanide or acetone, and two sugar molecules. This only occurs when they come into contact with one another and beta-glucosidase is mainly present in cancer cells, so these poisons are only released in the presence of malignant tumors. The cyanide and benzaldahyde help destroy the protein wall and even the tumor itself. In fact, once a tumor is large enough, the body’s white blood cells will no longer recognize the tumor as a foreign entity and attack it. Later stages of cancer would require larger and sometimes more concentrated doses of this essential chemical compound we can call vitamin B17.

Laetrile – the answer to Cancer by James South MA
World Without Cancer by G. Edward Griffin
The Nitrilosides in Plants and Animals by Dr. Ernst T. Krebs Jr.
Alive and Well: One Doctor’s Experience with Nutrition in the Treatment of Cancer Patients by Philip E Binzel MD

December 27, 2013 at 3:14 pm
(56) VicD says:

If you want to be sure to die after diagnosed with cancer, make sure you follow the ACA guidelines.
Take all the chemo and radiation, and let your doctor run your health insurance to zero.
Then, after you are gone, your doctor can tell your survivors, “I did all I could.”
The known natural cures will remain obscure or illegal.
Just like voting. “If voting did any good it would be illegal.”

January 12, 2014 at 9:16 pm
(57) Nesa says:

Very well put VicD, very well!!!!!

January 13, 2014 at 11:32 pm
(58) Corey Hollywood says:

So heres the issue with washers. They believe everything they learn or read without question. Sometime to find out the truth we have to really really dig far beyond the surface. Sometimes some field study is in order. Maybe she’s right and it can be degraded into harmful substances. But maybe if its not degraded and its a fresh source it is really good for you. I dont know for sure either way. But I do know that I have been chewing large amounts of cherry seed from cherrys that were grown locally and Im still alive. In fact my doctor says Im healthy as a horse. Yeah he actually used that phrase!!!

January 28, 2014 at 10:43 am
(59) Diane says:

HELP !!!! Does anyone know if eating apricot seeds is safe to take while undergoing chemo?

thanks!!!!

January 29, 2014 at 4:05 pm
(60) Private says:

Each day I take 100mg of B17 and eat 10 apricot kernels. Fifteen years so far and cancer free. I must admit, though, I still hate the taste of the apricot kernels. I’ve buried many friends and family over the years who’ve trusted the medical community and their chemo drugs and radiation therapies.

Why is it that it is OK to poison cancer cells with manmade chemotherapy chemicals, but not naturally-occurring compounds. Why is it more sound to bombard human bodies with harmful radiation. Many is the time I’ve heard the charlatans say, “We got all of it”… referring to tumors they removed… only to have that same loved one die months later of cancer. Like a cough is to the cold, the tumor is a symptom of the cancer. You have to cure the disease… not treat the symptoms.

The bottom line is that there is no profit in cure, only in treatment. If you want a cure, rely on natural means. If you want the treatment, go to the medical community.

January 30, 2014 at 6:14 pm
(61) Ric says:

I did not see after research any scientific or pratical proof that amygdalin do not cures cancer, or cures cancer, and if i would saw it, i would first question it’s credibility, because scientifical medical method has no credibility and is in fact a big dirty business, “it’s a documented fact” ! I believe only an idiot would believe in all it sees written somewhere without questioning it….I have methodic pratical events that prove amygdalin in reasonable low amounts is very beneficial to several human body conditions, with “reasonable low amounts” being some 2 to 5 average volume good quality apples seeds mixed with some 5 average volume good quality carrots wich has a lot vitamin A wich acts sinergically with amygdalin (or vitamin B17, or “nfhsdkfs” whathever word it’s not the point ), like a lot of substances in natural food act in a complex mix of substances, and always very dependant on the quantity (a lot of substances are essential to life in small quantities and cause death in only little doses, i.e. : copper, zinc, iron, boron, etc )

February 6, 2014 at 8:16 pm
(62) Wade says:

“RL says:
Can you guys read?
Hydrogen cyanide is poisonous because it binds to a crucial protein within your mitochondria in your cell and effectively causes your cells to go into hypoxia (I.e. they suffocate). ”

Hey RL, any other cases of mental retardation in your family, or you are the only one.

That is exactly what apparently kills the bad cells, they get suffocated.

Use a brain for gosh sake.

February 6, 2014 at 8:19 pm
(63) Wade says:

ahmm?

March 11, 2014 at 12:51 pm
(64) TheFinder says:

I truly believe that all that everyone says about the FDA, ACS and the cancer drug peddlers is so true. Cancer is big money, not just research, but in the machines used to diagnose, the drugs, the labs, the highly paid oncologists, etc. NO ONE with the authority and influence wants to find a cure. The sad part is that even some of their “own” will die of cancer as a cost of doing business.

Anyway, my questions is about cooking the seeds. I recently found a plant known as chaya or Mexican spinach which supposedly also contains cyanide. Now, from what I read the plant is even more of a super food than spinach and has been consumed for many years by cultures other than mainstream America. How they do it? They cook the leaves for 20 minutes to get rid of the toxins. So, if anyone has any doubts about the safety of their seeds, can they be cooked and then consumed without destroying the B17?

Also, I want to eat the loquat seeds from my trees but they are really hard and tasteless. I am wondering if cooking them would make them more palatable while maintaining health benefits of B17.

March 14, 2014 at 2:11 pm
(65) Robert M Baron says:

You are uneducated about Amygdalin. By your theory, we shouldn’t drink water either, because it has Hydrogen in it!!! And we all know high levels of hydrogen are bad!!

The factr is, the cyanide in Amygdalin needs to be in contact with a SPECIFIC protien found ONLY in cancer cells, in order for the cyanide to be released from the chemical compound known as ‘Amygdalin’. Only THEN is it actually cyanide, and it will only attack the cancer cells that released it.

Look up Dr. G. Edward Griffin.

The reason people are upset by your post on Amygdalin, is because this IS a cancer cure, and people like you keep spreading these lies and government propoganda, when what you SHOULD do is educate yourself on the truth, and stop believing what the Government tells you to believe.

March 25, 2014 at 4:55 pm
(66) mark says:

good comment mr robert.. ive had the seeds..my dad who is fighting prostate cancer eats em..we r not dead yet. chemo is poison..bar none

April 5, 2014 at 5:25 pm
(67) Rich Scott says:

A spirited & informative discussion . I am neither a medical doctor nor a biochemist . Firstly I don’t think that the author , Ms Helmenstine is completely in the wrong as some have claimed nor complete in her coverage of the issue . From the comments I conclude that amygdalin is likely to be safe in small quantities . It is also possible that it might be an effective preventive agent for solid tumors at least . Here is an interesting journal article with some of the details :

excerpt :
<i>
“Fagopyrum esculentum contains amygdalin which has been used by the Chinese physicians for more than 3,500 years” </i>

As far as using amygdalin as a curative agent for existing cancers it seems that it would be a balancing act . If you take too much you could end up poisoning yourself . If you take too little it might not be effective . There seems to be several factors to consider to decide on the correct amount as well as the co-factors to take with it . Also individual differences might be a confounding factor . Some of the prior particularly pertinent comments to look at are as follows :
1] 13] 32] 41] 47] and 53] through 55]

April 20, 2014 at 12:33 pm
(68) Gersanz50 says:

You do have comments on everything. Why does you don’t have an opinion on whether or not eating a small number of the seeds is healthful?