- Turn on the cold water tap of your bathtub. You are going to condense the material from a burning matchbox onto the top of the cold faucet.
- Cut out the striker portion of a matchbox. Trim off any paper around the striker.
- Fold the striker in half, striker-sides facing each other.
- Set the folded striker on top of the running faucet.
- Use a lighter to set fire to the striker. Ignite both ends. Then run the lighter along the length of the folded striker. It won't burn to ash, which is fine.
- Discard the burned striker.
- You will see a brown residue that has been deposited along the top of the faucet. Run your fingertip along the residue to pick it up.
- Slowly rub your finger and thumb together. Very, very cool.
While you are over at CollegeHumor, check out their video for the glass trick. I'm going to bet that was done by putting sodium polyacrylate beads (which you could harvest from disposable diapers) in the bottom of each glass.
Make a Smoke Bomb | White Smoke Chemistry Demo