1. Education

Black tattoo inks tend to be safer than brightly colored ink. (Gerla Brakkee)Earlier this week, I mentioned that multi-vitamins aren't regulated like drugs. Vitamins aren't the only substances that could enter your body that might not be as safe as you think. The chemical composition of tattoo inks is proprietary. While you can see an ingredient list for a multi-vitamin, you won't find that information on a bottle of tattoo ink. If you are considering getting a tattoo, your best defense against a problem is to choose a reputable, experienced tattoo professional. Unless she mixes her own ink (not necessarily safer), she won't know the exact composition of her products, but she will have the experience to know if any problems have been reported.

Try to stick with well-known colorants rather than trying something trendy. Some colors seem less likely to cause a reaction than others. For example, there is more of a reaction risk with a red ink than with most black inks. Lighter colors tend to produce more reactions than darker inks, probably because more pigment is needed to achieve a brighter color. I can't categorize a given color as 'safe' or 'risky', because that depends on the specific product, so discuss any concerns you may have with your tattoo artist. In addition to a reaction to the ink, there are other risks associated with tattoos you may wish to consider.
Tattoo Ink Chemistry | Tattoo Ink Recipe

Comments

January 16, 2009 at 9:21 pm
(1) Gordon says:

I am very interesting for the knowlege on Tattoo inks. hope more dtails discuss on tattoo ink in future

March 5, 2010 at 8:20 pm
(2) Dawn says:

I tried using the Geijutsu ink on my sister, my husband, and a friend, and they all 3 recieved severe infections. When I used the starbrite on my husband ink, his tattoo came out fine. What could be in the Geijutsu ink to cause the infections?

February 28, 2011 at 8:08 pm
(3) Brandon says:

I’ve given my fiance, a friend and me tatto’s using geijutsu ink, all without infections. The daily use of triple anti-biotic ointment or Aquaform is highly recommended for the first week.

August 10, 2011 at 1:22 am
(4) amanda says:

I myself got a tattoo with the Geijutsu ink, and I have a sever infection. Did they ever go to the doctor?? What happened?

April 11, 2010 at 8:10 am
(5) Mr. Black says:

The reason the geijutsu ink rejected was because it has a potentially deadly amount of lead in it. There are many kuro sumi knock off inks like it. If they have not already, your clients should seek medical attention. for future reference: many Chinese, and Japanese companies have been making sumi inks that are harmful to ones health. I would stick to inks that are well know, such as moms millennium, intenze, kuro sumi, and star brite. Keep it safe, and sterile.

June 12, 2012 at 8:16 pm
(6) Paul says:

The ink is safe. it is the care of the ink and care of the aftercare of the tattoo that is where a problem sets in

September 19, 2012 at 1:04 am
(7) jo says:

I just bought a kit, using this ink. And I have a really bad infection, representing a staff infection, used triple antibiotics and other cleansing ointments.. You are not supposed to use in the after care, its supposed to take the ink out, of the skin.. if used. so why have this ink if it causes infections. I am loosing feeling in the spot i tattoo’d and im glad I used it on myself before I used it on someone else and they got an ifection. Its a week later and some of it came off the other parts are oooozing. nasty stuff. I am gonna see a dr., never seen this type of reaction. I would love to sew the manufacturer

November 26, 2012 at 5:26 pm
(8) shawn says:

I bought a kit using that ink (imagine that) ive tested on my self black green brown red yellow. . . No issues started on friends who literaly dont know,the word aftercare and no infections at all I will admit its horrible ink it doesnt pack well and the colors are dull.

January 21, 2014 at 4:51 pm
(9) stick n poke says:

So good or not

February 13, 2014 at 4:51 am
(10) ohgz says:

lol u never use the inks on ya skin that come with them cheapo chnese kits as they r practice inks for pig skin lol