1. Education

I get a lot of e-mail about water fluoridation. It mainly concerns my 2002 article on ways to remove fluoride from water, especially the part where I state that I am against fluoridation of public drinking water. I cite links to pro and con references so the reader can make his or her own decision, but many people want to know how I arrived at my decision. I'll elaborate my reasoning in a separate feature, but here's a summary of my reasons:
  • Fluoridation of water has not been shown to reduce the incidence of cavities. Topical fluoride (e.g., toothpastes and fluoride rinses) has been shown to work. Ingestion of fluoride has not. If you are aware of any evidence to the contrary, I would welcome the opportunity to read it and share it with my readers.
  • Here today, still here tomorrow. Fluoride doesn't magically disappear from water once it has been added. Its presence and accumulation has profound implications for aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.
  • Fluoride is poisonous. Relatively low concentrations have been shown, conclusively, to have detrimental effects on human development.
  • It's impossible to control the dose. People drink different amounts of water, so the fluoride dose cannot be regulated.
  • It's unethical to force a medication onto people. Even if it was beneficial (and no one, in two years of asking has been able to give me a single reference stating that it is), fluoridation isn't something you get to choose or not choose.

There you have it, in a nutshell. I'll give you facts and figures later. Very few countries fluoridate water... I hope holdouts like the U.S. will come around sooner rather than later on this issue.
How to Remove Fluoride from Water | Water Chemistry

Comments

September 5, 2006 at 2:27 pm
(1) Mark skyer says:

I’ve been taught that distilled water is the purest that one can drink, On the original article you write that this is not a safe assumption. How so?

June 14, 2009 at 7:23 pm
(2) K says:

Leaving the water disposed to room-air doesn’t reduce the F- ions ?
I tought that this would work.
Doesn’t it ?
If yes, how many hours will it take for a bottle of 1,5lt to become clean of fluorine ?

I ‘d really like to know who idiot thought of putting it into the water in the first place.
Soap is good for body cleaning too, but we don’t choose to eat it… But with fluorine someone has forced us to drink it !

June 15, 2009 at 8:55 am
(3) chemistry says:

K, it does not work because it’s fluoride, not fluorine. You can remove chlorine from water by leaving it out because it can form chlorine gas and escape as a vapor. The chloride in your water, from salt, for example, remains. Fluorine/fluoride work pretty much the same way. I would expect elemental fluorine might escape, but fluoride won’t. In fact, as the water evaporates, you’ll be making the fluoride more concentrated in the remaining water.

June 27, 2009 at 2:58 am
(4) Helen says:

The last time I took my 9 year old son to the dentist he had fluoride “painted” onto his teeth – this is the latest initiative by our local healthcare trust and they want to do this twice more over the next year. Is this likely to be harmful to his long term health (osteosarcoma etc) or is this likely to be the “safer” fluoride they put in toothpaste? I’ve not been able to find out any information from my healthcare trust so far so I’d be grateful for any guidance. Thank you.

November 9, 2009 at 7:53 am
(5) Caren says:

The fluoride in toothpaste is not “the safer kind.” In fact, if you read the warnings on the toothpaste labels, you’ll understand that the reason for supervising young children is so that the Sodium Fluoride or Fluorosilicic Acid (also known as hydrofluorosilicic acid and hexafluorosilicic acid and other similar names) are actually registered toxins in many countries, in the same lists as such poisons as poisons Arsenic and other such well-known deadly poisons. While ingesting such a deadly poison is far more dangerous than painting it on teeth, I don’t mind saying that I wouldn’t have Arsenic painted on my child’s teeth — clearly some of it is going to be ingested. Sodium Fluoride is, in fact, a by-product of both the aluminium industry and the nuclear industry, and Fluorosicic Acids are by-products of the fertilizer industry. Al these industries, like any other business, are trying to make a profit. Unfortunately, it is regardless of environmental and social consequences.

July 20, 2010 at 2:23 pm
(6) Timothy says:

We agree with Anne Marie’s comments here. We have heard from many many people who have health problems associated with fluoride. These include thyroid disease and symptoms like arthritis. We wonder how many people have illnesses that are caused by or aggravated by fluoride and have no idea.

For more on the risks of fluoride, visit the friendsofwater.com site and start at the No Fluoride page.

You can filter out fluoride.

August 4, 2010 at 4:49 am
(7) J Will says:

Fluoride is rat poison an it’s added to our water supply to kill us!!!!!!! Stop ingesting fluoride and learn how to remove it from your drinking water! Ecoloblue 30 atmospheric generators produce water from thin air and are an excellent alternative to tap water! Your body absorbs more fluoride during a shower that it does by drinking because the skin is the largest organ of the body and you shower with about 15-25 gallons of water! Lets all stop ingesting fluoride and start spreading the word on the dangers of fluoride!

August 10, 2010 at 11:02 am
(8) dont-tread-on-me says:

While sodium fluoride is commonly used as a rat poison, globalists and eugenicists have decided to add it to water supplies with the message to the public being that it is good for teeth, despite warnings from the ADA stating that young children risk a disease called dental fluorosis. The Guardian reported that fluoride water can also cause cancer.

Read the rest of the article here:

May 22, 2013 at 10:13 pm
(9) SO says:

The header said: How to Remove Fluoride from Water… So ?..How to Remove Fluoride from Water?????????????

July 13, 2013 at 2:47 pm
(10) kizzy says:

I agree with SO. There is nothing in the article at all about how to remove it.